Official Off Topic Thread

I didn't hear about the Mayor of Nagasaki yet. That sucks, but also proves a point that the anti-gunners just don't get. You can make all the laws you want about firearms, but if you think for one second that a thug, gangbanger or assassin is going to use a registered firearm to commit a crime, you're VERY wrong. You're even more wrong if you think that tough anti-weapon laws are going to make jack shit bit of difference here when it comes committing crimes. I'm on the fence with a lot of the gun laws, while I DEMAND the right to keep a weapon in my home, I don't think a deer hunter needs an AR-10 that does full automatic. The NRA doesn't know whether to love me or hate me, and that's why I'm NOT a member..
Best post ever. I was raised in the boonies, so I was around guns and hunting my entire life. I'm pretty sick at clay pigeons. You're exactly right - hunters don't need automatic weapons. But gun laws won't make a difference in crime. There are already hundreds of laws regulating firearms, and we still have gun crimes. Maybe we should be paying less attention to guns and more attention to people.

ULTRADANCEBOY.jpg

i don't necessarily agree that its 'society's' fault either.. society, whoever that is, doesnt cause or cant control someones mental problems.. and the media or videogames doesnt cause 'normal' people to get these ideas into their head, however it may provide a catalyst for someone who has these mental probs and cant distinguish fiction from reality..but how do you police that? its not fair to everyone else to ban these things for the terrible actions of a few people.. but do we resort to psychological evaluations of people before being allowed to purchase these things? again, none of it is reasonable..

in all its probably a combination of many factors, with the answers being too difficult to find at this time..

EXACTLY.

I'm so sick of people pointing fingers at music, movies, video games, etc. as the causes for many of society's ills such as tragedies like this. This is people not taking responsibility for their own actions, but blaming others or other things. PEOPLE are responsible for problems like this, not objects. The solution comes from parents sincerely communicating with their children, providing parental support where needed, and most importantly, a family, friends, and community showing love and offering help to troubled individuals. It all starts and ends with people.

Either way, it's tragic that anyone could have the mindset to murder that many people.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend (before all of this happened, not that the timeline matters) about murder and who is capable of such a thing. We pretty much decided that given certain circumstances (which will be different for each person), i believe everyone is more than capable of taking another life. Of course, there are people who are more inclined to kill for less than "justified" reasons.

Again, nothing to do with the shooting, i've always had a fascination with death and the concept of one person ending another person's life. That's not to say I wish to experience it, but regardless, it's interesting. Also, it is very eye opening to think of your limits, and where you feel someone crosses the line to the point where they deserve to die. interesting stuff.

Oh, also, i'd say that if any form of media were to drive me to murder, it wouldn't be metal. And i'm not gonna say "ZOMG TEH RADIO DRIVEZ ME KRAZI AND I WILL KILL PEEPLE BECUZ I HATE POP MUZIK!!!1!!1one!"

In all seriousness, Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads" album is pretty twisted, probably moreso than most death metal. Death metal is almost comical in its over the top brutality. The stuff on murder ballads is very, very realistic. If anything were to give me ideas... it'd be that. Not cannibal corpse.

so like 200 people were killed in Iraq today. who wants to bet it won't make the news cause they're still sensationalizing and making media scripted programs about the virginia tech thing? someone's job is seriously to sit there and make little riffs and graphics for these programs. someone's job is to edit footage and make it all dramatic right as they go to commercial. repulsive.

oh wait, they'll air the deaths in Iraq today. Cause it has the word Iraq on it. But we won't mourn them because they're not Americans, and we won't mourn the thousands who die daily from preventable hunger and disease, while we continue to fund our military and give ratings to the media. We will mourn those 32 kids because they were Americans and zomg we love tragedy. Even people who have absolutely zero connection to the situation will act as if they were personally there. Get on the hokie bandwagon. It's the latest fashion. (by no means do I discredit anyone who literally did have connection to the incident. just everybody else.)

DoomsdayZach said:
I had an interesting conversation with a friend (before all of this happened, not that the timeline matters) about murder and who is capable of such a thing. We pretty much decided that given certain circumstances (which will be different for each person), i believe everyone is more than capable of taking another life. Of course, there are people who are more inclined to kill for less than "justified" reasons.

Again, nothing to do with the shooting, i've always had a fascination with death and the concept of one person ending another person's life. That's not to say I wish to experience it, but regardless, it's interesting. Also, it is very eye opening to think of your limits, and where you feel someone crosses the line to the point where they deserve to die. interesting stuff.

i think a possibility why things happened the way they did in this case was he must have been depressed to the point of suicidal beforehand..he must have already decided he was going to die that day, but he wanted to make sure people saw and felt his pain before he went by taking out as many innocents with him as possible, and causing pain to as many other people as possible on the way.. i think its pretty much the same thing where teens make suicide attempts because they want to make a statement to their parents, and want their parents to suffer for a hurt they feel, but obviously on a much larger scale.. i dunno, im rambling..

Kenneth R. said:
so like 200 people were killed in Iraq today. who wants to bet it won't make the news cause they're still sensationalizing and making media scripted programs about the virginia tech thing? someone's job is seriously to sit there and make little riffs and graphics for these programs. someone's job is to edit footage and make it all dramatic right as they go to commercial. repulsive.

oh wait, they'll air the deaths in Iraq today. Cause it has the word Iraq on it. But we won't mourn them because they're not Americans, and we won't mourn the thousands who die daily from preventable hunger and disease, while we continue to fund our military and give ratings to the media. We will mourn those 32 kids because they were Americans and zomg we love tragedy. Even people who have absolutely zero connection to the situation will act as if they were personally there. Get on the hokie bandwagon. It's the latest fashion. (by no means do I discredit anyone who literally did have connection to the incident. just everybody else.)

this is true.. not to get into an argument with anyone here, but i just love how what 2.5 thousand 'americans' died 9/11? and im not saying thats not a bad thing, it was shocking and a horrible tragedy.. but how many americans have now died since then because bush keeps sending them in to war for some purpose i wonder if he even knows about anymore.. i think the count is around 3200 and rising? with the announcement that even more are being sent off now. not to mention those from other countries helping america out such as australia and britain. and thats not to count the thousands upon thousands of innocent iraqi's and afghani's who have had to die as well for this, which we barely hear about because they aren't westerners so 'who cares'.. the whole thing is pointless and horrifying and gone beyond the point of 'freedom fighting' if it was ever about that to begin with - which I don't think it honestly was, but hey, thats just my opinion - i know theres people here who disagree with it, and thats cool too.

i remember seeing a news report when the afghani war first started, and american soldiers were going into the caves and killing taliban people.. and yes the taliban is wrong and has done awful things, but i was still disgusted by the 'glee' the news reporters had over taliban people being dragged out, tortured and murdered. its not about 'what have they done to us?' but 'at what point does murdering another human become not only ok, but a joyous event?' - all of it is sickening..

P.S. - not getting into a 9/11 argument or anything, just made me think is all..

quote from ask MJR question thread

"You know a band is big when you go to a typical aussie gig and you see 4 or 5 seperate people with 'The Odyssey' shirts on"

i tend to dissagree on this one...a metal shop finally orders a good bands merch in and presto the trendwhores and sheep jump on the bandwagon...

everyone that i have seen with a symphony x shirt on has only had an odyssey one and when u try to converse about the band, they know 2 songs off the odyssey and get confused and think u are talking about static X(true Story)

i remember seeing a news report when the afghani war first started, and american soldiers were going into the caves and killing taliban people.. and yes the taliban is wrong and has done awful things, but i was still disgusted by the 'glee' the news reporters had over taliban people being dragged out, tortured and murdered. its not about 'what have they done to us?' but 'at what point does murdering another human become not only ok, but a joyous event?' - all of it is sickening..

Well, they are the "bad guys" in this epic war. I don't believe there are "good guy" Taliban memebrs. IIRC, they are a repressive minded sect that will continue to try to disrupt any tranquility in any newly established government. Strictly MHFO, that neither Iraq or Afganistan will EVER be able to fend for themselves, no matter how many troops, and how many $'s are spent trying. As for the troops on the ground, if you're doging IEDs & VBIEDs day in & day out and you can off ONE of those guys who builds, plants, or manufactures them, it's a joyous occasion. Everybody wants a "clean" war
but the reality is, it doesn't work that way. It's too bad people have to die, but they started it, and we'll finish it, one way or another....

quote from ask MJR question thread

"You know a band is big when you go to a typical aussie gig and you see 4 or 5 seperate people with 'The Odyssey' shirts on"

i tend to dissagree on this one...a metal shop finally orders a good bands merch in and presto the trendwhores and sheep jump on the bandwagon...

everyone that i have seen with a symphony x shirt on has only had an odyssey one and when u try to converse about the band, they know 2 songs off the odyssey and get confused and think u are talking about static X(true Story)

The guys I've only ever seen with V shirts, I've never seen an Odyssey shirt here in Adelaide now that I think of it... And anyone I've spoken to knew what they were talking about... But yeah, there'll always be band-wagoners wherever u are...

J-Dubya 777 said:
Well, they are the "bad guys" in this epic war. I don't believe there are "good guy" Taliban memebrs. IIRC, they are a repressive minded sect that will continue to try to disrupt any tranquility in any newly established government. Strictly MHFO, that neither Iraq or Afganistan will EVER be able to fend for themselves, no matter how many troops, and how many $'s are spent trying. As for the troops on the ground, if you're doging IEDs & VBIEDs day in & day out and you can off ONE of those guys who builds, plants, or manufactures them, it's a joyous occasion. Everybody wants a "clean" war
but the reality is, it doesn't work that way. It's too bad people have to die, but they started it, and we'll finish it, one way or another....

but the point is, i dont think anyone should be gleeful about killing someone else.. it makes us as bad as them..

SymX_AUS said:

you've met people who actually wear symphony x shirts?

The guys I've only ever seen with V shirts, I've never seen an Odyssey shirt here in Adelaide now that I think of it... And anyone I've spoken to knew what they were talking about... But yeah, there'll always be band-wagoners wherever u are...

lol true.... i just find it funny how when the new sydney 'hype' band mentions them as an influence..all of a sudden everyone has been listening to them for years lmao...the funnier thing is, this 'hype' band dont even show Symphony X justice in saying that

thats enough bitching for the day

*runs back to cave*

but the point is, i dont think anyone should be gleeful about killing someone else.. it makes us as bad as them..

Well like I said, I'm sure none of the foot soldiers shed a tear when a 500 lb GBU hits an old house filled with insurgent snipers. If it's killed or be killed (i.e. WAR) I'd be pretty fuggin' happy if I just machinegunned a rush of insurgents, and got to live another day. I'm not saying we should have a day long parade, for it, and drag their bomblet riddled corpses behind a tank, with our troops dancing around it (like THEY do) but I *hope* you can understand where my pov is based on.