Official Off Topic Thread

The purpose wasn't to bash christians. Not one myself, but the point was ken said something about made up stuff, tali made a joke about "who believes in god" and... anyway, so the simpsons pretty much slay.

:lol:

Don't worry man, I know you weren't bashing Christians, Tali asked a question so I was answering it... People who get offended by that need to take a look at themselves... :rolleyes:

Anyway, the Flying Spaghetti monster was formed by pure random chance of spontaeous combustion and nuclear radiowaves emanating from an amoeba which came from Planet X (which incidently will collide with the earth on January 9th 2078, destroying all humankind), so that's definately a good alternative... :p

Drivers are CRAZY in SC !!!! I swear man, the most you have to watch out for are the TEXTING WHITE HOT GIRLS!!! They are hot, but they drive 80 in a 45 zone while texting their asses off!!!!!!! I flipped one off the other day.. those biyotches!!

Anyone into Motorcycles? Man I want to get one! Its only like 5 grand for a decent one, 45-65 MPG, 250 miles on one tank and it's like 12 dollars at the most to fill up the tank! It's insane! Insuance would be the same as my car, and they are fun and cool. I'm getting one once I get a job.

so did I:)

My thought process in the end was this....I'm a music major, whether it's teaching, performing, in class, practicing, rehearsal, etc.....having solid gear that I'm 100% comfortable with is important. Currently, I only really play one of my guitars....so in selling the seven string I'm cutting dead weight and shelling out a bit extra for something that will more than take it's place. It's either doing a finance plan now for 500 that I don't have, but will have no trouble paying off before next Oct. 31st when payments are due and interest kicks in OR i could wait until I have cash, at which point the deal is non-existent and I'm paying $1500.

Do it man, and if you're earning money using it, can't you claim it as a tax deduction...:Smug:

Jesus, you're the first person I've seen who agrees with me on this. :headbang:

I'm anxiously awaiting the Simpsons movie on dvd... fucking brilliant film. Saw it 3 times on opening week.

I still haven't seen the movie, I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out.

The Mr (Mrs) Garrison sex change I thought was bad but, the worst part is the lame ass story lines. Now they just rip off new movies that come out. I am amazed that people find that shit funny. I liked it when Cartman turned into a Vietnamese prostitute and tried to give people blow jobs not when stupid fucking imaginary creatures drove around in flying boats.

Oh come off it Ken. There is no way, even as a practicing Christian, that you can deny Rich's statement. Follow me on this one:

Assume that there is a God who is supreme and all that. Let's just establish for the sake of arguement that this is fact. That would mean that all other religion is wrong by default, yet still there are plenty of religions out there who believe in higher powers and dieties other than God. Thus, a statement such as:
There's a lot of myths out there with no concrete basis to them. The populace simply adopts it by extension since everyone else believes it, and suddenly it's widely believed.
... would then apply to all other religions in different regions of the world. No matter what you think is true, some group is playing make-believe.

Yeah that is the way I look at also. Every culture in every time, in every corner and crevice of the world has their own religion. The Greeks, Egyptians, African Tribes etc. They all believe(ed) truly that their supernatural god created everything. We now teach them as nothing more than ancient folklore. In it's place we now have Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Scientology etc. What makes you think that Christianity is correct as opposed to say Sikhism? How do know that Greek Mythology isn't correct? Maybe an African Tribe got it correct with their beliefs?

I refuse to live my life by beliefs. Religion is just that, a set of beliefs that, as of yet, can not be proved or disproved. My money is on the Agnostic leaning toward Atheistic side. The mere fact that there are more than two religions means a large portion of people on this Earth have to be wrong.

Yeah that is the way I look at also. Every culture in every time, in every corner and crevice of the world has their own religion. The Greeks, Egyptians, African Tribes etc. They all believe(ed) truly that their supernatural god created everything. We now teach them as nothing more than ancient folklore. In it's place we now have Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Scientology etc. What makes you think that Christianity is correct as opposed to say Sikhism? How do know that Greek Mythology isn't correct? Maybe an African Tribe got it correct with their beliefs?

I refuse to live my life by beliefs. Religion is just that, a set of beliefs that, as of yet, can not be proved or disproved. My money is on the Agnostic leaning toward Atheistic side. The mere fact that there are more than two religions means a large portion of people on this Earth have to be wrong.

Agreed. While i don't condemn anyone for their beliefs and think it's great (so long as people can be respectful of one another), I just don't like the odds of subscribing to any particular belief.

Hence the reason I don't go to Vegas :lol:

I don't care what people believe, whatever works for a particular person is cool with me. I do however have a strong stance against evangelical Christians. I had a horrible experience with someone who I thought was my friend, trying to force his insane Christian fundamentalist beliefs on me because I didn't believe what he did. An otherwise smart, funny kid was raised to believe that gays, non believers and basically all others who had other views are horrible people. It scares me that polls show 80% of America conforms to these ideals.

Yep, which is why i said "as long as they can be respectful of others". Ken is a good example of this, as he has his beliefs but has never once tried to persuade me that he's "right" or whatever. He believes what he does and is happy with that, and i have tons of respect for that.

Oh come off it Ken. There is no way, even as a practicing Christian, that you can deny Rich's statement. Follow me on this one:

Assume that there is a God who is supreme and all that. Let's just establish for the sake of arguement that this is fact. That would mean that all other religion is wrong by default, yet still there are plenty of religions out there who believe in higher powers and dieties other than God. Thus, a statement such as:

... would then apply to all other religions in different regions of the world. No matter what you think is true, some group is playing make-believe.

Guess what, I'll address your first comment and Rich's later when I have time. As for my own comments, it had nothing to do with religion. I was talking about friggin drivers. Way to go guys.

Anyone into Motorcycles? Man I want to get one! Its only like 5 grand for a decent one, 45-65 MPG, 250 miles on one tank and it's like 12 dollars at the most to fill up the tank! It's insane! Insuance would be the same as my car, and they are fun and cool. I'm getting one once I get a job.

I do. I was looking at a BMW or something similar to that. You can get a good one for under 11k.

As for my own comments, it had nothing to do with religion. I was talking about friggin drivers. Way to go guys.

Right, but you said that stereotypes don't necessarily hold any weight and that they are just myths that are adopted by a large group of people, so the religion arguement is support for what you're saying... right? You're kinda contradicting your own arguement by saying religion is not myth, or at least is more realistic than ghosts and whatever :lol:

besides, this is the off topic forum, and the conversation is remaining relatively civil and (omg gasp) reasonably intelligently thought out points, and the conversation is following a perfectly logical path. Not really seeing a problem. And i still stand by what i said about drivers. Stereotypes always have a grain of truth.