Official Off Topic Thread

Also, the position and form of the hand determines to an extent how much it will hurt, you and your adversary.

This I will learn as well get more involved in class I'd guess.

Dan, study Bruce Lee movies.

:)

:D

I only did martial arts for a year, way back, but in regards to Dans question about gloves. Sure if your going to have to throw down with someone, and how often is this going to really happen... you wont have gloves but you hopefully wont be pounding them for a full half hour. If your just working out why subject ones hands to such abuse ? Boxers wear gloves because they would break their hands all to hell without them. Regardless of the martial arts aspect I have subjected all my body parts to decades of physical abuse due to my work, the effects of this rear their ugly face as the body ages.

I do jujitsu and Judo, where we don't wear shoes or gloves. I brake wood with my bear hands, Im sure a punching bag is nothing lol! (and i'm not talking bout my wood haha) It really depends on what martial art you're doing, most martial arts arnt really mean to have much equipment like that.But like I originally said, either tape up your hand (google how its done) or get gloves like they wear in the UFC. I'm a huge UFC fan, anyone see the Goerge "Rush" St-Pierre vs BJ Penn? What a fucking fight!

Sound advice guys, cheers. I think I'm gonna get some fingerless boxing gloves and some tape and experiment with those, at least until we've learned the best ways to strike bare-handed and inflict more pain on the bag and less on ourselves... :p

It shouldn't hurt your fists really, i'm assuming you're hitting it with a slide to your punch. So you're getting a type of carpet burn from the punching bag (i remember that feeling) its important to hit it straight on or make sure the impact is direct and controlled, and not a sloppy slide motion, you should be trying to punch through the bag, not prodding it. Also for a quick fix if its your own punching bag, you can wrap it in garbage bags to take away that burning sensation. Ive seen people do that!

EDIT: What I mean by control is letting out the adequate amount of force, while mainting proper stance (or form) and instead of going through with it you stop it apon impact. And from my lessons your arm should not be completely extended, because you become vunerable to arm bars. Should be bent ever so slightly. Kinda like weight lifting dunno if you've ever bench pressed, but you don't put your arms straight at the end, at least you arnt supposed to, suppose to leave them bent ever so slightly. Mind you this all depends on the martial art, sport you are doing. But just a tip from own personal experience!

I went at it for a while today, it wasn't too bad, you're right about punching straight through though, and my instructor mentioned about not completely straightening the arms also, I think it'll just take a bit for my wrists to get used to the jarring sensation. Maybe I just need to harden up... :lol:

For power, you must believe you can strike through your target. Not just hit it, but pass through it. It is human nature to let go of the majority of force just before striking. This is done to protect one's hand/foot from the impact. You have to ignore this to strike with force.

Not to be a douche and post the same shit in multiple threads, but... well, I'm about to do exactly that.

Go to the Band/Project Promotion thread. There's a video of me and Zach rocking together in Seattle back in January! Doesn't it bring a tear to your eye when the forum brings people together?