Official Off Topic Thread

Seriously man, american cars are shite. Which explains why Detroit just got bitchslapped in the face to step it up. People are buying imports and used cars. They last longer.

The only American cars I'd drive are muscle cars from the 70s. But then, I can't afford a 69 Dodge Charger.

Nice ride! I'm hoping the regular maintenance doesn't set you back too much.
My only fear of ever owning an Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc.

I made sure to get a 3 year comprehensive warranty. Anything goes wrong, it would've cost a shitload!

I actually spent 2 months looking specifically for an Audi A4. I waited until I found THE one :)

Going from a 1996 Bonneville... wow, I can't stress enough how much of a fun ride this is. It's going to be a blast when winter sets in again (just missed it!) with the All-Wheel-Drive Quattro!

Seriously man, american cars are shite. Which explains why Detroit just got bitchslapped in the face to step it up. People are buying imports and used cars. They last longer.

The only American cars I'd drive are muscle cars from the 70s. But then, I can't afford a 69 Dodge Charger.

Yes, I understand Ken but I also understand some things others might be ignorant of.

Heres my cars, I have a few, 2 winter cars and I kept a few of our "nice" cars when I bought my former girlfriend/wife/daughters mother a newer car.

86 Buick LeSabre 2 dr resurrected a little undercarraige rust and new paint, summer car 150,000
97 Olds LSS 150,000, summer car, still a sweet car, 3800 supercharged, all options which come with the model, still luxury but stiffened up a bit. Nice cars you guys might probably consider "old" but hey its new in my life span... lol

not mine but identical
10925957560.259148315.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

10925957584.259148315.IM1.21.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

winter cars
90 Olds Regency 360,000 (NO BULLSHIT) still sweet but I guess my daughter got too close to a truck today, it doesnt look too bad
90 Olds Cierra wagon 280,000 my beater car but I have that fixed up too (when its clean)

so I could easily locate a few import junks too... right ?

I drove Japanese trucks for years, loved them, had a VW Rabbit truck for 3 years as well.

My buddy had a A6 for a few years, traded it for some ? 7 series, is there a 6series now ? maybe its a 5... whatever

I like the Audis, nice styling inside and out and the mother companies reputation has had many decades of great cars, historical in fact. Nothing can touch Audi in LeMan prototypes since like 98 or 2000. Now its that biodiesel thats kickin butt. Porche hasnt really be threatened too much in GT2 for decades. Great company!

GM has given them a good go a few years with cars like the Aurora and now a G6 coupe on an aussie GTO(Commodore?) chassis but I havent been following it much for 2 seasons. Then the Corvette has been top dog in GT1 since around 98-00 as well, finally Astin Martin had a good car and that was under Ford ownership.

Cars :erk:

Ridiculous agreements between Detroit management and unions are what have drive Detroit under, Ken. Think of where we'd be without the ridiculous costs added into every vehicle.

My Z-28 had 112,000 miles on it at the time I wrecked it. The motor was pulling stronger at that time than when I first bought it (good mods by owner). The only issues I had with the car were a dead fuel pump and my error blowing through a slave cylinder in the clutch. Well, it did freeze up... What else was I to do. An American car, well cared for by its owner (follow recommended servicing and maintenance) will last just as long as any other car on the road.

So the problem was the wages of the auto union or management pulling down millions a year ?
all while pinching pennys in R&D and quality control, like the good little american bean counters they are........

we got half a story here or the full one ? :erk:

:heh:

Incidently I take no special care of my cars, just routine oil changes that many people make more often than myself. The primary place domestic companies failed was in makeing a good economy car, little cars with 4 bangers and Chevies were kinda cheap. Step it up a bit and you have great cars. Most of what is passed around is wifes tale type folklore

That is a fuckin' nice car indeed. Even though i've always been a sports car guy i've always been in love with those A4, not to mention the rest of the Audi lineup. I'm currently aiming at getting another car this year and hopefully the '09 Subaro STI wagon, although the gas thing is a pain in the ass!

Ken, 69 Dodge Charger FTW.

American cars usually are shit, cheap shit for that matter. If you have the money to spend go for a european car. Much more reliable and afordable on gas, however the downside is if something does go wrong. It cost an arm and a leg to repair, unlike the Honda Civic which you can walk into your nearest dollar store and buy parts for it :)

seeing as im included in that, id say its a good thing haha
I should ddial you more...

Ridiculous agreements between Detroit management and unions are what have drive Detroit under, Ken. Think of where we'd be without the ridiculous costs added into every vehicle.
Seriously.

I drive a 1999 CR-V, 117,000. I had a 1998 CR-V, 161,000. It could have gone over 200k but the insurance didn't want to pay to fix the liftgate. It got rear-ended while parked last December, the offender hit it doing 50mph in a Ford Explorer. His car was towed away, I taped the back window and drove mine 267 miles home and then for the rest of the week. The thing had hardly any damage at all. I've also never had much service needed on my Hondas, but my mom's Blazer has been in the shop more times than a cancer patient.

So the problem was the wages of the auto union or management pulling down millions a year ?
all while pinching pennys in R&D and quality control, like the good little american bean counters they are........

we got half a story here or the full one ? :erk:

:heh:

Hmmm... millions a year to management responsible for making key decisions and guiding an enterprise toward turning a profit for investors, or billions a year to ridiculous payments to union workers responsible for... working?

Yeah, seems like a wash.