Official Off Topic Thread

Those are all valid points, but I still think we discourage genetic diversity, for better or worse. I tend to think it's slightly towards 'worse'. Like I said, that post is not about just extra arms and legs, but about all forms of diversity. We have an image of what normal humans are, and we prescribe all sorts of remedies to ensure that everbody gets fixed if they don't match up. In some cases this is a good thing because it counters deficiencies. But in other cases, it also kills off potentially beneficial mutations. Things we might not even be aware of like immunities, heightened senses, certain mental or physical abilities that could improve our species. We aren't interested in improvement, we're interested in status quo, yet the world moves forward without us- which is why we feel so very compelled to maintain it at status quo as well, and our efforts are so far quite futile.

This brings me to my other point that I made in another thread - Global warming. Why is this, supposing it actually is happening, a bad thing? I can see us feeling responsible for the extinction of many species (our efforts to maintain status quo in the world and our industrial sprawl are also responsible for mass extinction, but who's counting?) and I can see our laziness in not wanting to figure out how to defend our cities from rising oceans. I can see the typical human response, that egotistical approach of 'why should we change for the world when we can change the world to fit us, we who do not want to even change ourselves - because we feel we are already perfectly evolved. But were the ice ages any less normal than now? There were species then, and there are species now. I think species can survive global warming. Maybe not humans, since we're so stubborn, hence the panic. Should we do something about waste? Yes, definitely. Should we do something about ozone pollutants? Definitely, we need our atmosphere. It's not the "warming" that's so bad, after all, or the cooling that coincides with it. It's the solar radiation that we should worry about. The bubble takes care of itself. We just need to make sure we don't pop it. I think, rather than the panic-festival that global warming has become, if we are to focus extensive effort on an environmental platform, we should attack fossil fuel usage and seek alternative energy. That's much more urgent, though even still, supposing we run out of oil without finding a solution, humanity can still proceed, if we cast off the ego and adapt for once. Cars won't run, TVs won't turn on, we'd have very little electricity- only that from wind, thermal and water. But life does go on, if we can accept life without all the toys we built.

So no, in summary, I don't think global warming is such a big deal, and I think we should consider carefully the kind of mutations we do or do not tolerate in our society.

This global warming rant would have been more useful in the other thread rather than "Global Warming WTF n00bz u suck and i won't say wy kthxbai". Just sayin'.

Yas wins!

Ken, I do see your points. With global warming, I ask somebody to first show me that it is real and has never happened before in the history of the Earth. Who is to say global warming is not merely a cycle the planet is going through? Who is to say humans dictate global climate change? And, to your points, why are we so arrogant in assuming it is our doing? And then there is the political side of me that wishes everybody would stop listening to Al Gore and his crap messages; but, that's another point altogether and would lead me into another Off Topic thread creation inside the Official Off Topic thread.

Back to the girl in the pictures, do keep in mind she did not mutate in any way to form another set of arms and legs; rather, she swallowed a twin in the womb, creating a parasitic twin. In effect, she's two people in one and no genetic abnormalities exist within her DNA to pass on to future generations. But your points about allowing mutations probably were not meant to be directed at the girl in the pictures, but rather a vent against the arrogance of our race.

Those are all valid points, but I still think we discourage genetic diversity, for better or worse. I tend to think it's slightly towards 'worse'. Like I said, that post is not about just extra arms and legs, but about all forms of diversity. We have an image of what normal humans are, and we prescribe all sorts of remedies to ensure that everbody gets fixed if they don't match up. In some cases this is a good thing because it counters deficiencies. But in other cases, it also kills off potentially beneficial mutations. Things we might not even be aware of like immunities, heightened senses, certain mental or physical abilities that could improve our species. We aren't interested in improvement, we're interested in status quo, yet the world moves forward without us- which is why we feel so very compelled to maintain it at status quo as well, and our efforts are so far quite futile.

This brings me to my other point that I made in another thread - Global warming. Why is this, supposing it actually is happening, a bad thing? I can see us feeling responsible for the extinction of many species (our efforts to maintain status quo in the world and our industrial sprawl are also responsible for mass extinction, but who's counting?) and I can see our laziness in not wanting to figure out how to defend our cities from rising oceans. I can see the typical human response, that egotistical approach of 'why should we change for the world when we can change the world to fit us, we who do not want to even change ourselves - because we feel we are already perfectly evolved. But were the ice ages any less normal than now? There were species then, and there are species now. I think species can survive global warming. Maybe not humans, since we're so stubborn, hence the panic. Should we do something about waste? Yes, definitely. Should we do something about ozone pollutants? Definitely, we need our atmosphere. It's not the "warming" that's so bad, after all, or the cooling that coincides with it. It's the solar radiation that we should worry about. The bubble takes care of itself. We just need to make sure we don't pop it. I think, rather than the panic-festival that global warming has become, if we are to focus extensive effort on an environmental platform, we should attack fossil fuel usage and seek alternative energy. That's much more urgent, though even still, supposing we run out of oil without finding a solution, humanity can still proceed, if we cast off the ego and adapt for once. Cars won't run, TVs won't turn on, we'd have very little electricity- only that from wind, thermal and water. But life does go on, if we can accept life without all the toys we built.

So no, in summary, I don't think global warming is such a big deal, and I think we should consider carefully the kind of mutations we do or do not tolerate in our society.

Holy crap.......... where did this guy come from... checks user name...... scratches head... no way!

Well its off topic so its OK. These are random points to avoid writing a book While I believe theses points are good in principle and ideal, I feel they ignore other characteristics of evolution which is, #1 survival of the fittest. Man evolved well and is still evolving. We live longer, old diseases that wiped out families are gone. We dont really get that sick anymore. Our diet is a very valid consideration for many problems that do exist but overunning the planet leaves us in this processed food state. Animals have a short life span, human have a longer span because we've eliminated most of our natural predators, diseases, ect. Animals are very prone to diseases and sure death from them, mutations and predators.

Global Warming - Amuses me that the main focus is if the coastal citys will be submerged. The real problem is that as we loose the ice pack we loose what cools the planet, which, through a complicated process called weather(lol) is responsible for one of our sources for usable water. Water is a big concern, even today. Then this is further compounded by every degree the temp rises as loss of this cooling effect will become more rapid as its depleated. Sure it could take hundreds of years or even more so why should we care... right?

I dont believe it can be turned around because this world has become a huge economic machine and our environments worst enemies are what stimulates economies and supports our huge unchecked, protected population (and keeps the rich... rich and the elected... elected.

Im not religious but somehow I believe the thing in the bible, however its actually written, about mankinds fate of demise being fire, is true. Question is, will it be the fire of our own sun as in the planet become mostly desert, colision of a large meteor or nuclear. If life on this planet excapes or avoids the latter two, I dont believe it will excape the big desert. We wont see it though, we're just speeding it up

Whats that I hear?..... a dark, doomy, death metal song........ :lol:

Ken, I do see your points. With global warming, I ask somebody to first show me that it is real and has never happened before in the history of the Earth. Who is to say global warming is not merely a cycle the planet is going through? Who is to say humans dictate global climate change? And, to your points, why are we so arrogant in assuming it is our doing? And then there is the political side of me that wishes everybody would stop listening to Al Gore and his crap messages; but, that's another point altogether and would lead me into another Off Topic thread creation inside the Official Off Topic thread.

It may be a natural cycle but I still don't want lung cancer just because some jerk off wants to cruise around in a studio apartment on wheels. :lol:

Holy crap.......... where did this guy come from... checks user name...... scratches head... no way!

[...]Animals have a short life span, human have a longer span because we've eliminated most of our natural predators, diseases, ect. Animals are very prone to diseases and sure death from them, mutations and predators.

Global Warming - Amuses me that the main focus is if the coastal citys will be submerged. The real problem is that as we loose the ice pack we loose what cools the planet, which, through a complicated process called weather(lol) is responsible for one of our sources for usable water. Water is a big concern, even today. Then this is further compounded by every degree the temp rises as loss of this cooling effect will become more rapid as its depleated. Sure it could take hundreds of years or even more so why should we care... right?

I dont believe it can be turned around because this world has become a huge economic machine and our environments worst enemies are what stimulates economies and supports our huge unchecked, protected population (and keeps the rich... rich and the elected... elected.

Im not religious but somehow I believe the thing in the bible, however its actually written, about mankinds fate of demise being fire, is true. Question is, will it be the fire of our own sun as in the planet become mostly desert, colision of a large meteor or nuclear. If life on this planet excapes or avoids the latter two, I dont believe it will excape the big desert. We wont see it though, we're just speeding it up

Whats that I hear?..... a dark, doomy, death metal song........ :lol:

We have beaten diseases with science, definitely. But lifespan is more dictated by the size of the organs (heart I believe?) than that. Small bugs die faster than bigger mammals like us. Dogs and cats have shorter lifespans than Tigers and Elephants. Too big can also be an issue, so maybe we are the best adapted, but who can really say?

As for the water and politics... I certainly agree. Desertification is a huge problem in the tropics that will spread as small brush and grass die out. Is their death due to heat or is it due to urban development? Some of both, I'd say. Also, Al Gore is full of shit :lol:, and lmao at final comments.

Also, I'd like to take a cheapass potshot at one of the most fucked up, retarded sports while we're talking about global warming and energy: NASCAR. Yes, let's build stadiums (other sports do too, so that doesn't single them out.) and watch gas guzzling vehicles travel around and around in a loop. Can anyone conceive of anything more wasteful? Well, instead of indy cars, they could race stretch hummers. I don't know if that'd actually be more or less fuel-economical.

and to avoid double posting and change the topic for those interested: Republican Presidential Candidate Ron Paul raised over $6 million in under 24 hours yesterday, breaking the online fundraising record held by John Kerry. His previous single-day total of over $4 million last month inspired this second fundraiser, on the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. Most significantly is that all of this money was raised completely unsolicited by Ron Paul - it was organized online by enthusiastic supporters.

The industrial revolution was a double edged sword. Now this is the world we live in and all the by products that came with it. Auto racing which I like, road racing, we go to Lime Rock twice a year, skiing... another sport I enjoyed, theres a phenominal use of energy. What about refrigerating ice rinks, driving all about. Computers, band equipment, stereos, I should be shot ! Its not entirely our fault, this is the world we were born into. Its just a huge machine no stopping it. I had a small softwood logging business in the state plantations for 20 years. Once a week I used to run a load of pulpwood 150 miles one way for a $900 gross pay, during the course of this trip I would burn enough diesel fuel to heat a house for at least a month, about the equivalent of less than half the load if it was used for energy itself, didnt make any sense but it payed the bills. The good stuff went for sawing into framing lumber that was bought by Canadians in Quebec. It would be trucked all the way to Canada, milled and returned to the states for us to build house out of, didnt make any sense. Now the paper mills my pulpwood went to are closed and most of our paper products come all the way from South America, and material not good enough for logs lays and rots, makes even less sense. This is just one example of how "the world" for my lack of a proper term, is set up and shows our wastefulness. Yet its called modern economics. "Show me the money" is the name of the game and I just gave up. Now I sit and watch the world go round and round and shake my head. Waldens Mountain is gone and it aint comin back.

I know it's modern economics and the wide world of entertainment razoredge, but that doesn't mean I can't also bitch about it being environmentally wasteful and decadent :lol:

Price'll increase and demand'll decline as buyer's are priced out of the market (for oil/gas/whatever). The upside to this is that, hopefully, NASCAR will be one of said consumers being priced out of the market.

Better yet, if they could get the car's to run on ethanol, their audience could help to chip in to supply the necessary fuel feedstock.

They could charge $100 and a bushel of corn per seat. :lol:

thats a silly ideal burnout, all thats happening there is the working poor are putting 25% if their income into gas to drive to work and struggling to heat their houses. Those that can afford it are business as usual. even though it looked like it, I really wasnt focusing on oil & pollution but more on how everythings all spread out and wastefull in the name of big money. that it makes no sense but thats how were all kept in jobs.... even if it costs half or more of our income to get to them....... the big picture is mind boggling and "I dont want to talk about it anymore".......... lol

They should stop non-international flights. Airplanes should only be used for crossing seas or for going transatlantic, not for traveling between countries in Europe or states in America.

Flights across states aren't so bad. Like LA to NY, that's a good long distance to travel by car or rail. But DC To Baltimore... or NH to MA, or FL to GA... that kind of stuff, or within the same state even... air travel is completely unnecessary.

thats a silly ideal burnout, all thats happening there is the working poor are putting 25% if their income into gas to drive to work and struggling to heat their houses. Those that can afford it are business as usual. even though it looked like it, I really wasnt focusing on oil & pollution but more on how everythings all spread out and wastefull in the name of big money. that it makes no sense but thats how were all kept in jobs.... even if it costs half or more of our income to get to them....... the big picture is mind boggling and "I dont want to talk about it anymore".......... lol

Sorry man, I was just being an ass. :lol:

That said, as fuel prices rise I can only imagine efficiency/conversation are going to become necessary simply by virtue of the need to cut costs or make ends meet. Right? Maybe I'm missing something but I suppose it ought to work that way.

Flights across states aren't so bad. Like LA to NY, that's a good long distance to travel by car or rail. But DC To Baltimore... or NH to MA, or FL to GA... that kind of stuff, or within the same state even... air travel is completely unnecessary.

Agreed.

So ecological changes should only be made on personal levels? Buy low energy lightbulbs and not leaving your lights on, is that gonna make a change? As soon as it affects your business it's a no-no? An hour air travel... Like taking the car to the local grocery store... And if the option is between airplane and car, your infrastructure sucks.

I'm with Ken on this one, though I think even traveling short distances (except maybe for something as small as Baltimore to DC) should have logical exceptions. Lots of business would seriously be hindered, individuals would suffer because of it, and never mind the fact that air travel is way too big of an industry to rationally expect it to just stop.

Also, what's wrong with taking a car to the grocery store? Most people (especially those with families) shop in bulk, they simply don't have the time to walk to the grocery store every morning for food. I live on the same block as my grocery store so I do walk and I only get groceries every few days, but I grew up in a family of 5....my parents sure as hell didn't have time to go to the grocery store every day. They also sure as hell weren't going to walk 5 miles carrying 2 weeks worth of groceries. What about my drummer when we play gigs? Is he supposed to take the city bus with his kit in order to avoid driving his car?

*none of this is intended to sound heated at all, just presenting the other side of the argument*