"old school" Metallica appreciate thread

ElectricWiz said:
Really, the whole Metallica legacy comes in broad sections. The early "take no prisoners" stuff, amazing.....then Justice, then Black and beyond. From there they were "america's band" in a sense, and that just kinda puts ya in a different genre, in some sense, altogether.

That about says it, I think the question here is, should we forget everything after ...And Justice for All, and just rember them for their earlier albums? I'd really love to do that. Even though they went for a ball of shit, I'll give credit where credit is due.

ElectricWiz said:
Further, a lot of people would say that they paved the way for Among The Living and all the other stuff from that genre, but really Among The Living only came out a year later (MOP is far superior to me, by the way). Point being, everybody was kinda progressing in the same direction and I don't believe that Anthrax got their hands on Master of Puppets, listened to it, and then agreed amongst themselves to go in that direction.
I agree with this. However, I think that "Among", and many other records of that era, would have gone largely unnoticed if NOT for "Ride" and "Master".

Let's be honest: "Master" did more for the genre than did "Hell Awaits", "Spreading the Disease" or "Killing Is My Business...". While all are great records in their own right, they didn't open the door for the genre in the way that MOP did.
That's all.

And, as USMC mentioned, "Orion" - particularly that gourgeous midsection - consists of a beauty that none of the aformentioned bands could have hoped to have achieved.

Greeno said:
I don't agree with that. They really didn't get "big" until And Justice, sure they were well known on the underground before that. I think the Ozzy tour (them opening up) was when they first started catching on with a bigger audience.

When I think of the definitive 80's metal band it's NOT metallica, even though I like their 80's releases....... but can no longer listen to them. Iron Maiden would be the band that first comes to my mind.

I dont know if you were back there when MOP came out (Ride is my fave though) but Metallica was talked about the way Nirvana was talked about before Nevermind came out... and MOP became a gold album (sales of 500,000 or more) without the benefit/help of radio or MTV and before Ozzy took them on tour... Maiden was at it's height in 1985 but it was all over when MOP came out in 1986 though Maiden were still heavyweights right into 1988... what Maiden did wasnt considered new and exciting anymore once MOP came out... with Metallica came the whole Thrash craze much with Maiden came the whole power metal craze up till today with both bands... as for the first 3 Metallica albums... Kill Em All did very good for a debut without the backing of a major label in terms of sales etc.. and all 3 did great like i said without the benefit of radio/MTV.. something not many bands could of said at the time or now for that matter...

as for Sound... I think the definitive albums for the other Big 3 thrash bands.. were Peace Sells (which i think i bought before MOP), Among the Living and Reign in Blood (which i played over and over in my tape deck)... these 3 came out in the same year as MOP i believe...

AngelWitch73 said:
Despite what they have turned into now, METALLICA will forever have my gratitude for being the first band to open my eyes (and ears) to Heavy Metal. "Kill Em All" and "Ride The Lightning" are two of the greatest Metal albums of all time.
ditto, though I was introduced via S&M.

I then bought the Black Album, then Justice, then MoP, then Kill Em All & the others. I like Justice best, but all their albums (except St.Awful) are ones i can shove in my stereo and not skip a track, and that says a lot for me.

And justice sucked accept for DYERS EVER.

After buying Anthrax Spreading the disease, OVerkill Years of deacy and Exodus bonded by blood I realized Metallica wasnt all that they were cracked up to be. Testament came out later but their first three or four albums were great. Overkill has released more quality material than any of the bay area or thrash era bands. Master of Puppets and earlier is all I can stand. Motorbreath is close to my favorite Met song.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
... Maiden was at it's height in 1985 but it was all over when MOP came out in 1986 though Maiden were still heavyweights right into 1988... what Maiden did wasnt considered new and exciting anymore once MOP came out... ...
Although I still prefer Maiden, I agree with this statement 100%.

AngelWitch73 said:
Despite what they have turned into now, METALLICA will forever have my gratitude for being the first band to open my eyes (and ears) to Heavy Metal. "Kill Em All" and "Ride The Lightning" are two of the greatest Metal albums of all time.
It´s nearly the same with me. Even though Lita Ford´s "Dancin´ On The Edge" was the first metal album I bought, Metallica´s "Ride The Lightning" (which I got for Christmas in 1984) was like a revelation to me. Just a few weeks before, I had heard "Fight Fire With Fire" (still one of the best thrash metal songs IMO) on the "Monday Rock Show" on BFBS and had it simply blown me away! I listened to "Ride The Lightning" for more than a year on a (nearly) daily basis and it´s definitely my favourite Metallica album, probably also the only one that I still might listen to (though very, very rarely!). While I also liked "M.O.P." very much when it came out, I still preferred "Ride The Lightning".
"...And Justice For All" was their last album I bought and apart from the fact that I didn´t like the sound of it very much, most of the songs didn´t do much for me either (except for "Blackened", "One" and "Dyer´s Eve").

SoundMaster said:
I agree with this. However, I think that "Among", and many other records of that era, would have gone largely unnoticed if NOT for "Ride" and "Master".

Let's be honest: "Master" did more for the genre than did "Hell Awaits", "Spreading the Disease" or "Killing Is My Business...". While all are great records in their own right, they didn't open the door for the genre in the way that MOP did.
That's all.

And, as USMC mentioned, "Orion" - particularly that gourgeous midsection - consists of a beauty that none of the aformentioned bands could have hoped to have achieved.

Glad to hear there are other people who appreciate the musicality of that piece - to this day I am floored by that composition.

I also agree completely with what you stated above...MOP definitely put light where there wasn't any before and a lot of other bands benefited as a result.

JB