Olympics 2008

He sets world records ever race because he trained his ass off and is literally the greatest swimmer ever. Seeing him completely blow his competition out of the water and obliterate standing world records (most of which were his own records) is one of the greatest things any of us will see in our lives.

I´m not only talking about him,it´s always been like that,every year it´s several new records,on the women side too. The sport aint very trustworthy. I have as much confidence in swimmers as cyklists,it´s one of the most preparated sports in the world. If a new world record was set every week in 200m running for example one would doubt the honesty of the sport.

How is it not 'trustworthy'? No one cheats in the sport since everyone is tested before every race

Also, it's theoretically possible to win 8 medals in track and field in one games given all the relays and individual sprinting events

One could also win 6 medals in gymnastics, but it's damn near impossible

this announcer on the olympics said that some records are broken because of a fast pool, what the fack does that mean?
It's deeper than a standard pool, resulting in less turbulence. The lane buoys are designed to keep swimmers wakes' from affecting each other. New drainage systems also reduce turbulence.

The 8 eight gold medals is an awesome accomplishment, but it should be billed as a swimming accomplishment rather than Olympic accomplishment. There's no area besides swimming where anyone could reasonably compete for 8 medals, maybe, maybe track and field, if you were a complete freak of nature and could run short and long distances, and do jumps.

Yeah agreed. Plus, he's only gone 1 better than Mark Spitz anyway. Also, there's a good chance that if Ian Thorpe hadn't retired he wouldn't have won a few of those medals. Great effort and take nothing away from him, but I totally agree that skills in swimming are more transferable than other events - as evidenced by the number of people who win multiple medals in swimming vs. the number in any other area of the olypmics.

It's not really naive considering they do rigorous testing. I mean, you could make a case for the Chinese cheating since it is their home turf, but I don't know. I'm too tired to care.

A few people have already been caught cheating and have had medals stripped. These people weren't swimmers though

Well I don't say they ARE cheating. Just that saying that they aren't because they are tested is kinda naive imo. The people developing preparations are always one step ahead. I mean you can't test people for a substance you don't know about. :>

Well I don't say they ARE cheating. Just that saying that they aren't because they are tested is kinda naive imo. The people developing preparations are always one step ahead. I mean you can't test people for a substance you don't know about. :>

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the IOC is up to date on all substances that could be used anyway

It's deeper than a standard pool, resulting in less turbulence. The lane buoys are designed to keep swimmers wakes' from affecting each other. New drainage systems also reduce turbulence.

thats stupid. why don't they do what they do for track, when the wind is 'with you' they won't count it as a record.

Yeah, Beijing is gay this Olympics. If this was anywhere else, this wouldn't have happened. Not only that, the judges are from countries where gymnastics isn't that popular, which is a problem because that's not the case with other sports in the Olympics (I don't think)

well it's against the rules to share a medal, but the way the tie was broken was just a retarded mathematical retardation, basically.