One is part of a quality underground metal band- yet want to become popular. How?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Lets say one is part of a quality metal band- full of talent, ideas, and killer songs. Yet, the band wants to become popular- wants to at least see their cd at the local best buy or other huge depressing electronics warehouse. The band also wouldnt mind being at least part of a tour that plays to more than 50 people every night. What does one do- how does the band build popularity in todays corporate cookie cutter rock world?

Another hypo- how does the band go about becoming as popular as say Disturbed or Linkin Park?

Let me add something to that last sentence- how does the band go about becoming as popular as say Disturbed or Linkin Park?
clear.gif

without sacrificing their talent- and musical integrity.

if anyone will be that big it will be cradle. But not many will until cradle or maybe in flames breaks the ice first...and they will do this obviously by losing self respect. A heirarchy needs to be created with the most watered down in the forefront. You need someone who is allready huge in the underground to do this. A bridge needs to be made between metallica and the new metal and the stuff we all know and love.

it's interesting that you mention cradle of filth there.....they're about the only band that's made it really big from the underground without sacrificing their musical integrity. the amount they've watered-down their music through their career up to their sony debut is less than negligible.

SculptedCold said:
it's interesting that you mention cradle of filth there.....they're about the only band that's made it really big from the underground without sacrificing their musical integrity. the amount they've watered-down their music through their career up to their sony debut is less than negligible.

You speak only the truth my friend, only the truth.

SculptedCold said:

Ah, but that's only 'cause it was so watered down to start with. ;)

Guardian of Darkness said:
Ah, but that's only 'cause it was so watered down to start with. ;)

haha you beat me to it. Anymore more watery and it would be american beer.

Well, I hate to tell you, and this is the truth-
Americans, in general , DO NOT care about how good the music is..really.
As long as MTV, Rolling stone, etc say it's good...they get in line like sheep and buy.
Let's face without that hype, Limp Dipshit would have not gone anywhere!

Then there are the true music fans like myself who want quality music no matter the genre.

A undergroud band getting into the area lick mynuts park, etc are in is going to be VERY hard-you need the media machine to do so. Guess who pretty much owns that? The Big lables!

And all the care about is $$$$$$$$$$$-most bands on major lables only get 1 record deals now-if you dont sell lots and make big money, you are GONE. They find the next band to milk money out of.

And if you don't make what the label wants to hear , there are ways they can prevent you from releasing material under your band name. When you sign that contract, you are their property pretty much-and you can't release material under your band name without their approval aslong as you are under contract.

Just keep your musical integrity and take bussiness classes.
Take marketing and management(it's good to know this anyway..so you have more control of your band).;Learn to market yourself without changing your style to be mjore friendly to the masses.

I think that the way things are being done are changing with the advent of file sharing/internet, etc. If enough quality bands that retain their musical integrity push hard, maybe we can break that barrier.

Why do you think the RIAA is trying to surpress Mp3 trading?

they DO NOT want people to hear independant music of quality! If so..people might stop buying the filler CDs they make!

SculptedCold said:

Cannibal Corpse made it rather well too and they haven't changed all that much since the beginning of their career.

Im going to have to agree with Sadude on this- and cradle does have an excellent shot at it- although they would be far from my choice to represent the underground scene.

I think you just have to find a different definition of "success" when it comes to more difficult or thought-provoking music. People want what they want, you just have to find the people that want what you've got I guess, they're out there somewhere...also, if you can manage to keep a band together and touring for a long time, you can slowly build up a large fanbase that way although it seems it's getting harder these days with so much shit vying for people's time and money...

speed said:
Lets say one is part of a quality metal band- full of talent, ideas, and killer songs. Yet, the band wants to become popular- wants to at least see their cd at the local best buy or other huge depressing electronics warehouse. The band also wouldnt mind being at least part of a tour that plays to more than 50 people every night. What does one do- how does the band build popularity in todays corporate cookie cutter rock world?

Another hypo- how does the band go about becoming as popular as say Disturbed or Linkin Park?

If you aren't planning to surf the contemporary wave, then you need to put a PHENOMENAL amount of work in. You're entering a saturated market; 90 percent of listeners only know about 10 percent of the bands currently in existence. Are you prepared to work tirelessly, 25 hours a day for the rest of your life, on shoving your music down our throats?

I am the listener; I and my brethren are they who will decide whether you become popular. First of all, you need to actually get your music into my ears. How will you do this? I only have "yea" much time for listening to new music. Why should I listen to your band instead of plumping for the "dark electrodoom" of Weltschmerz or the "chaotic Swedish death-jazz" of Pig Farm? Your presentation is paramount. Every fucking band in the world is full of superlatives for their own sound; your blurb interesteth me not. As I sweep my immortal gaze across the vast fields of wannabes, you must catch my eye on the first pass; I may never glance your way again, and I have not the time or patience to descend to your level and actually listen to your demo or MP3 without good reason. So you'd better have a purpler ass than all the other gibbons - and that applies to live shows, interviews, websites, anything. Never let thy ass lose lividity.

And then, miraculously, the moment arrives. I hath consented to pluck your demo and yours alone from the everflowing stream of new music. Now it's time to put away your ass and show me some balls. I will listen to one of your songs; if it bores me, I may never listen to another. I expect you to work your fingers to the bone getting a good presentation; and I expect you to work those bones into dust getting good songs.

Reactions: dill_the_devil
lord667 said:
If you aren't planning to surf the contemporary wave, then you need to put a PHENOMENAL amount of work in. You're entering a saturated market; 90 percent of listeners only know about 10 percent of the bands currently in existence. Are you prepared to work tirelessly, 25 hours a day for the rest of your life, on shoving your music down our throats?

I am the listener; I and my brethren are they who will decide whether you become popular. First of all, you need to actually get your music into my ears. How will you do this? I only have "yea" much time for listening to new music. Why should I listen to your band instead of plumping for the "dark electrodoom" of Weltschmerz or the "chaotic Swedish death-jazz" of Pig Farm? Your presentation is paramount. Every fucking band in the world is full of superlatives for their own sound; your blurb interesteth me not. As I sweep my immortal gaze across the vast fields of wannabes, you must catch my eye on the first pass; I may never glance your way again, and I have not the time or patience to descend to your level and actually listen to your demo or MP3 without good reason. So you'd better have a purpler ass than all the other gibbons - and that applies to live shows, interviews, websites, anything. Never let thy ass lose lividity.

And then, miraculously, the moment arrives. I hath consented to pluck your demo and yours alone from the everflowing stream of new music. Now it's time to put away your ass and show me some balls. I will listen to one of your songs; if it bores me, I may never listen to another. I expect you to work your fingers to the bone getting a good presentation; and I expect you to work those bones into dust getting good songs.

Testify!

Correct on every count. It's a fairly rare breed of metaller that will actively seek out new bands rather than sticking with what they know and are comfortable with, and if you're in an extreme/uncommercial band then it becomes even more difficult to get yourself noticed. The previous ideas about marketing and management classes are absolutely spot-on, as is lord667's appraisal above of the attitude of the average metalhead.

Although I would raise one point - and I do realise that the questioning in the first place is entirely hypothetical - but if the band are striving so hard to become successful, why did they begin playing in the first place? To me, the whole 'I want to be a star and be successful so I'll start a band' is getting the whole thing ass-backwards. I'd much rather start a band just as a means of self-therapy, entertainment, getting deeper into the music and just generally keeping myself off the streets, and then hopefully gaining success though that self-absorbed effort, rather than aim immediately for the recognition idol...

Just a thought, though...

Speed, it doesn't happen.
It just doesn't.
If this hypothetical situation is yours, I suggest you change your sound if you're looking for fame and fortune.