How to put a roster together

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Putting the roster together is by far the most difficult part of the festival. You have no idea how stressful it is because it is what makes or breaks the show in terms of reputation and ticket sales. The factors that influence my decision are numerous and change a bit every year. Look at it from my eyes:

1. Popularity. Will the band sell tickets based on their name alone.
2. Availability: Is there schedule free?
3. Cost: Can I afford them?.
4. Return factor: Everyone wants their favorite band to return, but there are only so many slots available. Plus, if you return too many, you become stale.
5. Genre balance: I have to appeal to a mass audience without losing a niche as well. Prog...power...melodic..heavy...vocal styles..it goes on and on.
6. Creativity- When do I push the boundary with a Freak Kitchen or PC 69? Will it push people away vs. draw them in?
7. Tour factor- Will North American shows subtract from my ticket sales?
8. Personal preference- There is always at least one band that I book just because I want to see them.

If there is one thing that I have learned, you simply cannot make everyone happy.

Glenn H

I smell what your cookin and yet you still run the best fest everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Also I might of not liked a band going in, or so I thought but when I saw them play, namely Orphaned Land it changed my mind completely, you'll get alot of that too...

Cheers G, great lineup so far!!!

Bear

How right you are Glenn, you will never, ever, ever please everyone, but don't worry so much. So far this is IMHO the best line-up you could have ever though of. Yes, you don't have alot of everyone's favorites, but my friend it is your show, so that is that. Will this show this year draw a sellout??? You damn right skippy it will. Maybe not in three days maybe more like 4 days. Will all the bands put on amazing shows??? You know they will? Will your reputation be hurt??? Not in the least, you are bringing together some of the premier European acts under one roof for 3 or 4 days of excellent music fun and companionship. So thank you my friend for letting me share in this experience along with the other 3 first timers that will be there with me.

You make me happy Glenn :lol:

PPUSA is an outlet to discover bands I didn't know about, or see favorites live. Hasn't been a disappointment yet.

edit: Yanni RULES

MadeInNewJersey said:
Though I would say that I think you place far too much emphasis on "popularity." I think at this point, you could book 10 different versions of Yanni, and it'd sell out.

After going in debt for several years, I'm simply not willing to risk dropping the "popularity" factor. I appreciate the confidence vote though.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
8. Personal preference- There is always at least one band that I book just because I want to see them.
Glenn H

Would you mind disclosing at least one of those bands on this years roster? Unless of course it is 1 of the 2 remaing bands that have yet to be announced.

Here's a question...

In the past or currently working, have you had problems scheduling bands because of band members not liking another band that's gonna be there with them? Any egos clashing causing difficulties? I imagine it's gotta be nerve-wracking to try to deal with something like that. Any bands saying, "Oh well BLAHDYBLAH played your festival last year and we don't like them, so we don't wanna do your festival" ?

I mean, I could see bands like Angra and Shaaman, or Labyrinth and Vision Divine, or Gamma Ray and Helloween, or crazy shit like that becoming an issue. Or has the reputation of your festival become so strong that bands know it's a helluva show and shouldn't snub an opportunity due to petty reasons?

I don't want you to name names. Just the stories, with the names and faces changed to protect the innocent like the People's Court, will suffice.

Harvester said:
When do I push the boundary with a Freak Kitchen or PC 69? Will it push people away vs. draw them in?

Well, I'm only one person, and I was really psyched to see PC69 last year, and
I think my metric ton of posts regarding Freak Kitchen has taken that up a thousand fold. Isn't pushing the boundries a bit what this kind of festival is for? I think so, and that's what keeps this festival fresh. With all the other mentioned factors in your post, I'm in awe that you are able to deliver a stellar line up year after year. Maybe we're getting spoiled? I guess what I'm trying to say here is keep doing what you are doing, you seem to have a keen sense of knowing what to deliver, and I really don't see the fest NOT selling out because of one or 2 bands that aren't "like" Gamma Ray or PoS.
Year after year, people bitch about the lineup, and the show still sells out, a large number of us converge on Atlanta, and you supply the party. If some years get lean on bigger names, there are always 10 bands that may be ready to take their place, and maybe even work harder for your audience.
Don't sweat it, and thank you for booking Freak Kitchen...

J-Dubya

Hey,if you don't like a band,either go get food or flirt with Maria
I'll be there even if you book a euro power cover band that does nothing but Nsync covers as teh headliner

Very interesting Glenn, thanks for posting that. The curiosity factor is always in our minds, especially for us that dream about one day coming up with our own festival.

Am I the only one? No, I don't think so.

Now Glenn, can we expect a post sort of like last year's "How everything happened, step by step" ?

Bryan316 said:
I mean, I could see bands like Angra and Shaaman, or Labyrinth and Vision Divine, or Gamma Ray and Helloween, or crazy shit like that becoming an issue. Or has the reputation of your festival become so strong that bands know it's a helluva show and shouldn't snub an opportunity due to petty reasons?

Gamma Ray and Helloween get along fine now, still would be interesting to know for those other bands, however. I sure wouldn't mind seeing Shaaman at Progpower.

Glenn

Last year I had no idea who ANY of the bands were, PPV, I knew Savatage. This year I know Pyramaze.

Gotta say that I DLed some Freak Kitchen. All I have to say is, FUCKING KILLER!

Still working on getting clips of the other bands. Mercenary isn't my fav, but you can't please everyone all the time and as long as you like them. Well GIT ER DONE!

You rule.

-Metal

Nice post, but that seems like an awful lot of possibly conflicting considerations. To streamline your process, I propose the following game-plan for the future:

1. Call Ken
2. Ask Ken what 10 bands he wants to see the most.
3. Book those 10 bands.

There, see how much easier that would be??? :Spin:

Harvester said:

Glenn H

What bands in the past have been mostly on a personal preference?

1. Popularity. Will the band sell tickets based on their name alone.

How you determine that? And is it univeral popularity or based on the input off these boards?

6. Creativity- When do I push the boundary with a Freak Kitchen or PC 69? Will it push people away vs. draw them in?

I don't really see how PC69 pushes the boundaries

3. Cost: Can I afford them?

the lesser bands probably do it for free to get into the lineup to expand their fanbase.

lucretia96 said:
the lesser bands probably do it for free to get into the lineup to expand their fanbase.

That may be the case at other fests (I know for a fact that the vast majority of the roster @ Wacken for example, does not get paid.

But at PP, I'm near-certain Glenn pays every band who's a part of it.

metalprof said:
1. Call Ken
2. Ask Ken what 10 bands he wants to see the most.
3. Book those 10 bands.

There, see how much easier that would be??? :Spin:

smartass... this isn't Nearfest... :yuk:

MadeInNewJersey said:
But at PP, I'm near-certain Glenn pays every band who's a part of it.

true... the pre-party bands also get paid.