How to put a roster together

Very insightful & intrigueing comparisons & perspective. I for one can appreciate the added dimensions that this will give to my thoughts about this festival. Kudos.

Someone mentioned Pretty Maids for this show. I don't think they will make this years event, but definitely should be considered for next year...great band.

Ascension said:
Very insightful & intrigueing comparisons & perspective. I for one can appreciate the added dimensions that this will give to my thoughts about this festival. Kudos.

Someone mentioned Pretty Maids for this show. I don't think they will make this years event, but definitely should be considered for next year...great band.

Wow...we should be impressed that we should stimulate your synapses into some sort of positive masturbatory response...

What a bunch of horseshit...

Jurakan said:
Prog Power is the place to get to know bands for me, and I'm sure that for many others too. I do not do much "discovering" of bands on my own, so my "rediscovery" of metal in general has been slow. I figure that the less bands I know on the bill the better. It's a chance to expand my horizons. It has worked for two years straight, and I know the streak will continue this year.

What a totally enlightened response...fuck yeah!

Rock on!

ashaman7122 said:
Wow...we should be impressed that we should stimulate your synapses into some sort of positive masturbatory response...

What a bunch of horseshit...

Hhmm...well ok...how about a big...

FUCK YOU

can you comprehend that? I knew you could :Spin:

Ascension said:
Hhmm...well ok...how about a big...

FUCK YOU

can you comprehend that? I knew you could :Spin:

Hmm...

Insert Slot "A"...into Tab "B"...

Hmm...

Rock on!

Harvester said:
If there is one thing that I have learned, you simply cannot make everyone happy.

How true. Point of fact, at this moment, there isn't a single band on the roster that I'm "thrilled" to go see. But I'll be there, and I appreciate what you're doing. Why? Several reasons...

1) This year will do more to broaden my horizons musically than previous years. I wasn't a big fan of several previous PPUSA bands, but after seeing them live, I now really like them (Evergrey, in particular). I might wind up with several new "discoveries" this year!!
2) It's always a blast, regardless of the bands playing...everyone's cool, and even if I don't *love* a particular band, live music is always cool.
3) Supporting the festival and genre
4) Don't want to lose my GB status :D
5) While none of my "favorite" progmetal bands are playing this year (of those announced), I like several of those playing that, added together, they're reason enough to go. This is different from last year and a couple of others, where I would have gone just to see one of the bands (like Conception last year), even if I *hated* all the others.

Regardless, I know there are many others THRILLED with this year's lineup...I've had years like that, so I guess this is their year. That's OK, and I know I'll enjoy it, too...I always do. :)
So thanks in advance, Glenn, for all your work in doing it again! :headbang:

Craig

Harvester said:
I caught a ton of shit for putting an unknown with no album out (Circus Maximus) last year. That worked out rather well.

"rather well"? Um....can you say "understatement of the year?" You can? I thought you could. :)

Seriously...I was 10000% more excited to see Conception last year than any other band on the roster, even though I picked up CM's disc last June and LOVED it. At the show, though, CM's performance was every bit as enjoyable as Conception's (and blew away most of the other bands, IMHO), and their CD got my pick for CD of the year. From what I saw, a lot of other people felt the same about all of this.

Many of us might not have even known about CM if you hadn't booked them, so those who discovered and loved their CD, those who loved their show, and Circus Maximus themselves (for the killer exposure and promotion) all owe you a huge thanks for taking the chance on them. Thanks!

Later,

Craig

GateXII said:
Right on brutha! Great post!

It's funny how many people just don't get it. If it were half as easy as some people thought, there'd be successful metal fests all over the US.

Also, another huge difference between our 2 fests and like 99% of all other US metal fests is that we pay all our bands...and more importantly, we don't do that pay-to-play bullshit!!! cough**Koshick**cough**fucker**cough. :D

Take care & see you in April!
Rob

Dude, I don't know how you can insult fuckers everywhere by including Koshick in with them. I mean, that's just cruel!

Woosta

If I ever come across a large sum of money in the next few years (dont ask me how maybe I'll get lucky on a scratch off lotto) I will fly Pretty Maids to play in my damn backyard. And foot the bill for you too.

Hoorah for Pretty Maids fans.

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
Hey,if you don't like a band,either go get food or flirt with Maria

"Hey, is this the line for autographs?"

"FUCK no, it's the line to flirt with Maria. You get 20 seconds to either make her laugh or flip you a bird. Take a number, pal!" :Spin:

metalprof said:
Nice post, but that seems like an awful lot of possibly conflicting considerations. To streamline your process, I propose the following game-plan for the future:

1. Call Ken
2. Ask Ken what 10 bands he wants to see the most.
3. Book those 10 bands.

Nope.

1. Call Jim Raggi.
2. Ask Jim what bands he wants to see the most.
3. Book all the OTHER bands you were considering. :tickled:

(Tongue is firmly in cheek; note which band I'm co-sponsoring this year. :))

Glenn, fascinating post as always; I'm glad you posted that after hearing you commenting about this year's difficulties over the phone. Most of us 'get' why your task is so difficult with this festival...the sad thing is, the people over at Clear Channel or Concerts Southern* will never get it. And that's why you rule, and no-one else could rule. :D :worship:

--=-=-
* or whateverthehell Peter Conlon is calling himself nowadays

Pellaz said:
Nope.

1. Call Jim Raggi.
2. Ask Jim what bands he wants to see the most.
3. Book all the OTHER bands you were considering. :tickled:

Shall we review the record of my sponsorees?

PP2: Nightingale has no US record deal. They play ProgPower, and sign with The End before the next festival.

PP3: Devin Townsend has no US record deal for his solo band. He plays ProgPower, and signs with Inside Out before the next festival.

PP4: Mercenary has no record deal. They play ProgPower, and sign with Century Media before the next festival.

PP5: Bastards already had a record deal.

But saying that my woohoo! pics don't make business sense is not accurate. They all get the "huh?" reaction, then people see them, then people realize I was right. But by then my next pick is making them go "huh?" so they forget that I'm right.

But the bottom line is, I'm right. :p :p :p

Daybreaker said:
Woosta

If I ever come across a large sum of money in the next few years (dont ask me how maybe I'll get lucky on a scratch off lotto) I will fly Pretty Maids to play in my damn backyard. And foot the bill for you too.

Hoorah for Pretty Maids fans.

And I'd certainly do the same for you! Glenn is listening...he HAS to be! :)

MetalRose said:
I'm scratching my head at how anyone thought that PPV was subpar... Then again, I'm a total 'Tage fan. Have been for many many years and at the same time I cannot stand Edguy...

-Metal

LMAO!! Sava is my fav all time band, and Edguy is second!!!!

Too bad more folks can't see differences (especially in opinions) is what makes the world go 'round!!

Chris :headbang: