Open Letter to Mikael and Opeth

They should have got on Ozzfest main stage instead of SOTU! Then atleast they wouldn't be playing while someone else was playing.

the_drip said:
wow you're a dumbass.

remember Lamentations? February 2004, ogden. I was there. I was at the Fox for the Deliverance tour.

Get with the program.

oh yeah. i decided not to go because there was no new material, i think. or just didn't want to make the drive.

the idea of Opeth at larger venues just doesn't seem right. their music is too intimate.

shantideva said:
Mikael and Opeth,

I'm not sure if you'll get the chance to read this, what with the tour and all, but you guys seem to have respect for your fans and on the off chance that you do read the boards in the next few days to see the fan response to the SOTU tour, the Grand Conjuration airplay, etc. I thought I would put a few questions up that are on my mind and seem to be on the minds of a lot of other fans as well.

Why aren't any tracks from 'Ghost Reveries' being played at SOTU dates? Will tracks from the upcoming CD be played at any point on the tour, and if so, when? I'm not being critical, what you choose to play is your business, but a lot of fans seem to be determining whether or not to buy SOTU tickets based solely on this point, myself included. Were we mistaken in our information that new material would be played?

Regardless, I'll be catching you on your headlining tour in Boulder (Fox Theatre, again?) as always.

When will the 'Ghost Reveries' shirt be available at the Opeth Store?

I'd've e-mailed, but I don't think I am the only one who wants to know.
I won't be surprised to get no response, but this is better than sitting around waiting to find out from someone else.

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to seeing another show.

-kyle

Well...they played The Grand Conjuration last night at the Rochester show, and i also bought a "Ghost Reveries" T-shirt....so for now, u will have to go to a SOTU show and get those until they put them up in the Opeth store. And last night was the first time they played TGC in the US. :)

Mass_Strangulation said:
Well...they played The Grand Conjuration last night at the Rochester show, and i also bought a "Ghost Reveries" T-shirt....so for now, u will have to go to a SOTU show and get those until they put them up in the Opeth store. And last night was the first time they played TGC in the US. :)

Well, seeing everybody has the radio rip now, they can savely play it and don't have to worry about premature bootlegs

Metalstrm said:
What about the UK gigs in September? I guess they will play a longer setlist than in the US (I hope so since i'm going to the London gig at Mean Fiddler on 8th September)

I'm planning to be there too, and i sure as hell expect a full show with several songs from the new album. I also hope that they'll play "The Moor" and "Blackwater Park" like they did after changing the playlist at the last US tour.

Looking for a Job said:
god i hate jim rome

His schtick is a bit old now. Used to like him years ago when it was fresh and he wasn't quite so full of himself. Now, with XM, I can't bring myself to listen to any commercial radio at all, not for even a few minutes.

shantideva said:
oh yeah. i decided not to go because there was no new material, i think. or just didn't want to make the drive.

the idea of Opeth at larger venues just doesn't seem right. their music is too intimate.

ummm it was the first tour they were playing The Moor and Blackwater Park AND April Ethereal live.

oh well. Your loss. It was a pretty awesome night. :headbang:

R0l0 said:
it's probably because this is more of a promotional tour than anything. you go on and play half an hour to try to sell yourself to as many new fans as possible in those thirty minutes... so of course they're going to be playing their three most popular/successful songs given this time frame.

That makes most sense. And Opeth have always shown themselves to be a sensible band. :D

the_drip said:
ummm it was the first tour they were playing The Moor and Blackwater Park AND April Ethereal live.

oh well. Your loss. It was a pretty awesome night. :headbang:

haha his loss indeed. What kind of an idiot would use that as a excuse when Opeth is concerned.

spigot said:
haha his loss indeed. What kind of an idiot would use that as a excuse when Opeth is concerned.

someone who drives to CO just to see Opeth. the trip is worth it, usually, but i didn't think it would be in that case. i'm sad to hear that i missed what sounds like a good set.

i hope mike gets a chance to look at the board ever again, i bet his wife tells him dirty things about us heh, but nah i bet she's great..i think that if they where to play new stuff it would be a bad start to their CD they may think, some people may not buy it, but i guess losing a few people at a concert is better to making people buy the CD. my 2 cents

Looking for a Job said:
eh i don't have much of a problem with them not playing the new songs, but at least do somethign besides drapery, deliverance and demon. boooooring

oh yes, Godhead's Lament, Dirge For November and KARMA!

If by evil you mean "mixed too loud", then yes. :)
But then again, I can't say for sure. I probably have a bad rough demo radio rip. :)