Opening for Korn, and how we almost didn't make it.

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
Alright, here's the full story. Its epic. (Copied from a blog that was posted written by me)

Friday night, my truck, hauling the band's equipment to the show, broke down in Meriden, CT enroute to New Hampshire. My dad was at our house in upstate new york, so I quickly went into panic mode trying to figure out how we were going to get to New Hampshire in time. We crawled into a rest area, which happened to be serving hot dogs and coffee FO FREEEEE (Hell yes. Epic.) We quickly made friends with the hot dog/coffee people, and shared our story with them. Their solution involved copious amounts of free hotdogs and coffee. So after 3.5 hours of waiting, our tow truck arrived, and Carl's truck arrived to haul the trailer up to New Hampshire (Again Carl, thanks SO much. Without you, we wouldn't have made it. Seriously.)

Departing at 1:15am, the ride up was surprisingly smooth, and we arrived in Gilford, NH at 5:15am greeted by the most amazing sunrise you will Ever see (The good omen). We tried to sleep in the truck, in the bed of the truck, but there were too many mosquitos to even bother. We found a local diner (which was AWESOME), and got a lecture from the waitress about how Angus Young is THE absolute best guitar player of all-time, but Eddie Van Halen is quite close. We then killed time at Wal-mart, as we had 2 hours to kill before check-in at the venue, and were unable to sleep. Elliot bought a tent, which would turn our borrowed pick up truck into an official Tour bus.We got there for check-in, got our laminates and load-in times, and were released to kill some more time. Frank and Elliot took turns sleeping in our homemade tour bus, but all 3 of us were way too tired to sleep more than 30 minutes at a clip, if at all.

I started unpacking my drums, and I put them together in record time, just under 1 hour to set up my entire kit (WOO HOO!) We hit the stage at 5:15pm, and quickly our crowd grew exponentially. As we plowed through our set, with as much passion and fury as possible, it was clear that all the shit we had been through last night would be made valid with one 25 minute set. We had the biggest mosh pit of the entire night, a broken tooth, and the crowd was really into us (Awesome since we were 4 hours from home). I'm going to guess we had about 2500 total spectators, 1,000 in front of the stage, and the concourse/restaurants beside the stage that were getting blasted with our set was Full of people getting their eat/drink on before Korn. We got to briefly meet with Munky, and Shane Gibson (Korn's guitar players), and I said hello to Ray Luzier (Korn's current Drummer. [Hot Damn he's amazing]). Korn's tour manager/drum tech gave me a set of Ray's Snare wires, shook my hand, and complemented the band as a whole (Holy Schnikes, what an honor). He invited me backstage after the show to meet with Ray and maybe the other members, but it didn't end up working out, as the Venue security was very unaccomodating (oh well.).

So, we depart New Hampshire around midnight, and we were again, in a rest area by 1:15am. This time, to sleep. Frank and I were much too tired to drive, so we thought best to pull off and catch a 2 hour nap, which we did (our first sleep in 48 hours. Literally.). After that I got behind the wheel shortly after, and drove the final 2 hours. Stopped at a Micky D's on the masspike for breakfast (Holy shit, NO HASH BROWNS?!?! WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF MCD's DOESNT HAVE HASH BROWNS?!). On the way home, we hit a huge bump, and the trailer popped off the truck, almost jack knifing the truck. Luckily it was 4am, and there were no cars around, as an accident would have been imminent. We were able to secure the trailer, with a reminder that we were not out of the woods yet. I finally pulled into my house shortly after 7am, greeted by heavy rain, and thunder, and the trailer hitch stuck on the ball (NOW it wanted to stay on...) My face hit the pillow shortly after, and I passed out until 5:30pm, after 49 hours with maybe 2 hours of sleep.

Looking back, it was a weekend I'll never forget. The good and the bad, and all the bullshit in between, I would not have had this adventure ANY other way. Thanks to Frank and Elliot for going through the entire thing with me every step of the way. Dicky B and Dave and the rest for playing their balls off on the biggest of all stages. Extra special thanks to Carl Durazzo, and his Dodge Pickup. Sarah, Kirsten, Jess, Mikhail, Cody, and especially Jared, for experiencing this all with us, and having some familiar faces to share the day with. OH and, seriously? Korn Kicked ass. I haven't listened to them since I was 14, but holy shit, they were razor sharp. I was completely blown away. Once again, thanks to Lyndsey and Meadowbrook for putting on this show, and giving us the opportunity to fulfill a life dream of ours. Here's to the beginning of the road.

www.myspace.com/FatesDivide .

Awesome story man. It sucks they didn't let you backstage to meet Korn. You were the opener, after all. Your other high profile shows should be a cakewalk after this. Thanks for sharing.

That's great. 49 hours with 2 hours of sleep...all in the name of rocking out. Not a Korn fan at all, but if I was in a band and we had the opportunity to open for them, I'd be all over that. Awesome, dude.

Loved the story. Congrats to you and your mates for an awesome opportunity and perservering despite the set backs. Was great hearing about your experience with Korn and their performance too. I was suppose to photograph Ray for the drum mag I do work for, but broke me ankle. Can't shoot on crutches. Even more disappointed now, but still glad to hear your story. :( They did a great story on Ray all the same.