Opera Mini (iPhone) Users Here?

Jan 10, 2005
Anyone else using this browser on iPhone? I installed it a couple of weeks ago and while it has become the main browser I use there are some things about it that are pretty annoying. First of all, the zooming. It works in the most retarded way. In Safari you pinch (or... de-pinch? lol) to zoom and it zooms in on the center point of where you started. In Opera it seems to zoom from the top of the page, which means you have to scroll back down to where you were. Gay.

Second, the way it handles links. Two things about this though. One, it's ability to determine which link you are trying to select (if there is more than 1 link in there area you tap on). Two, sometimes it will not load the link/page. It goes through the motion (url bar pops up, you see the loading process) and after it's done it is still sitting on the original page. I have noticed that if I zoom in on the area with the links that it works perfectly every time though, which is odd. But with the zooming issue this gets irritating too haha... Also, if I tap once on the link and it starts loading, tapping on it again mid-load makes it load correctly.

Three, random lack of responsiveness. Most of the time it works well enough. But, sometimes, it seems to not want to do anything at all unless I move a page around or switch tabs or something, then it magically works again.

So I am just curious if anyone else here is using it. If so, are you getting similar performance? I really love the fact I can have as many tabs open as I want, Safari's limit of 8 is retarded. However, overall I have to give the crown to Safari still because it seems to work way better. It's like it is telepathic with links, like it knows which one I want to select. Everything about it works smoother and responds better. In fact, the only thing I wish it had was tabs and without any limit on the amount of them.

NNotN-ENN said:
Fuckin' whaaaaaaat?!

Uh yeah man, mobile version has sucked ass, as you can see by my OP. I have tried the desktop version before and was not impressed either. Personal opinion though...

Atomic hmm? I may try it out, only 99 cents. Just installed VanillaSurf, the tab feature is pissing me off already. Why is it so fucking hard to make a mobile browser that doesn't suck????

Opera is unusable on my MacBook too. The support for gestures is terrible (two finger scrolling), so it doesn't suprise me that they couldn't zooming to work on the iPhone.

Atomic is cool. The main feature I liked was sertting the browser to identify itself as other browsers. For instance, if you hate being automatically directed to the mobile versions of sites, you can have Atomic identify itself as Safari desktop. However, I have noticed that Atomic is kinda buggy. Anybody else noticed this? Sometimes my back button won't work. Sometimes I can't get dropdown menus to work, like on Amazon's home page.

So for now I'm sticking with Safari. It has its cons, but it has a lot of pros too. It's stable as a rock and it has painfree syncing with bookmarks from my Mac's Safari.

Actually trying another free one atm called Sleipnir. So far it kicks major ass...

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. This browser is nice. Good find.

And you can touch the bar at the top to automatically scroll to the top of a webpage! That was something else that Safari had that I missed in Atomic.

The "draw an L" to close a page is really nice.

Totally agree, I like being able to quickly go to the top with that feature as well.

No complaints yet. Opera and VanillaSurf I had problems in the first few minutes using them. I really think I found an adequate replacement for Safari, personally. I like that if you turn the phone to landscape it automatically switches to full-screen mode. You can swipe left or right to go to the different pages open, really awesome. The more videos and articles/reviews I find about Atomic the less I am inclined to purchase it. Sleipnir is free and does everything I wish Safari did, and more.

I crashed Sleipnir like three times trying to setup some bookmarks. Bummer. Why don't they have an "import bookmarks" option? Does it have it and I'm just not seeing it? There's no way I can import everything from Safari one by one. The only thing I see is the account setup that lets you sync with Sleipnir on iPad.

Hmm, not sure, I only have a few bookmarks so I just did them manually.

Uh yeah man, mobile version has sucked ass, as you can see by my OP. I have tried the desktop version before and was not impressed either. Personal opinion though...
I really should've bolded the 'all platforms' bit. My experience of the Mini version on iPhone was much the same as yours - woeful. I feel that they tried to differentiate themselves from Safari but picked all the stuff that works well in Safari to change, and proceeded to fuck it up.

Anyway, not sure about on MacOS, but on Windows, I've found Opera to be definitely the most light-weight and responsive browser getting around (and this is after many years of drifting between almost all the available ones). The only one that comes close is Chrome and it lacks a few of the really cool features of Opera. I have had some weird Shockwave player (is this even used anywhere anymore anyway?) issues lately though.