Opeth albums always take a while to catch on for me.

Jan 4, 2006
California
xatal.com
Whenever they initially come out, I listen to it and think, "this sounds cool", but it never quite clicks fully. Then, a month or two later, I'll fall in love with one of the songs, then another, and another, until finally I realize how awesome the entire album is.

I first noticed this with Ghost Reveries. I liked the sonud, but none of the songs stood out. Then I started to like Harlquin Forest, and then the rest began to click. It happened again with Watershed. Even though I listened to the album on repeat when it came out, I wasn't quite drawn to it. Now, though, it's all I listen to.

Anybody else like this?

HELLO HELLO!!!!

Im new on this forum. And thanks to you poster of this thread. I read it and IM SOO HAPPY TO SEE,, we are EXACTLY the same with this music.

I have non-stoped listening to Opeth since this time last year.
honeslty have lost so much love for other bands :(,, buts its easy too eh. With nearly every song being composed with a robust hand of beauty which has the elegance, beauty and timelessness of a 60 year old bonsai tree. And where lucky enough to hear it in about 10 or 11 minutes!!!.

So yes, opeths works are SOOOO #$&@ING masterfull that it actually takes you brain time to register on its awesomness metre how much you love the song.

Regards Todd,
:p
peace

Bonsai_Tree_071.jpg

HELLO HELLO!!!!

I have non-stoped listening to Opeth since this time last year.
honeslty have lost so much love for other bands
I feel that. I was a little slow to catch onto Opeth but once I did, I had a BUNCH of music to choose from. I was pleasently overwhelmed for about a year and a half. DUring that time, NOTHING else did it for me. That is until I discovered Dark Tranquillity, now its pretty much the same story with them., For those who have seen both Opeth and DT live, I very much so envy you.

I feel that this happens to me with every truly great band. I find if I hear an album by a band that instantly appeals to me in a big way, it is not always a good sign. It's the growers that are the winners :)

Whenever they initially come out, I listen to it and think, "this sounds cool", but it never quite clicks fully. Then, a month or two later, I'll fall in love with one of the songs, then another, and another, until finally I realize how awesome the entire album is.

I first noticed this with Ghost Reveries. I liked the sonud, but none of the songs stood out. Then I started to like Harlquin Forest, and then the rest began to click. It happened again with Watershed. Even though I listened to the album on repeat when it came out, I wasn't quite drawn to it. Now, though, it's all I listen to.

Anybody else like this?

I usually don't want to like a prog album when I first hear it, otherwise I get sick of quick.

Every Opeth album I have ever bought I listen to once, and only once for an entire week, then I go back to it and slowly listen to it. Once or twice through then song by song until I begin to understand what is going on and why, then I start to love it, and will rarely get tired of it.

Every album I have ever liked right off the bat, I got sick of. I cannot listen to any album I have ever got anymore because of this. I just cannot do it, but I can put on Still Life and just sit back and relax and actually want to listen to it. :worship:

Also, Haven is an incredible album, most DT albums are amazing, but Haven is their shiner for me. Damage Done is incredible too.

Also, Haven is an incredible album, most DT albums are amazing, but Haven is their shiner for me. Damage Done is incredible too.
You got that fucking right! Haven & DD along with Projector are 3 of my all-time fav releases. To me, those three CD's are happy metal. Their sound makes me feel like Im going to conquer a fucking universe. Cathode ray sunshine litterly sounds like an epic battle,during that track, I visualize the band riding on the back of a dragon, swooping down on a corrupt kingdom and decimating all the evil within it. If you think that sounded lame than you should hear my ending credits(Opeth) visualization.
I must confess that I HATED The Lotus Eater the first time I heard it, although not quite listening to it...:ill:
I agree with that. First time I heard it I almost threw watershed out the car window. After a few more listens, I can at least stand it now. It has many bad ass parts, but the death growl to pussy gettin vox turn me off, not to mention that one part.

shame they all think you're just a boring little faggot

mike really hasn't beauty and timelessness of a 60 year old bonsai tree, watershed is a perfect example that he hasn't fully matured as a writer

I dunno bout what you just said then. I would say the watershed album is a mix of heaps of different reasons. I dont think you can put it ALL down to Michael. But tbh your right about the difference in quality then the other albums.

But I think its also Fredrik, and 'legolas' contributing differenctly to the dynamic of the band. I dont really like Fredrik (nothing wrong really with his playuing but.. . its how he looks on stage, like he doesnt belong there) And legolas (new drummer) hes too machiney, Martin was just, more opeth then this new guy. I'm sad to see the band change but I think around the time(s) of writing Ghost of perdition, Black Water Park, Demon of The Fall.. . they were at their peak. Though I really hope that gets proven wrong, any news of when a new album might come out?

I dunno bout what you just said then. I would say the watershed album is a mix of heaps of different reasons. I dont think you can put it ALL down to Michael. But tbh your right about the difference in quality then the other albums.

But I think its also Fredrik, and 'legolas' contributing differenctly to the dynamic of the band. I dont really like Fredrik (nothing wrong really with his playuing but.. . its how he looks on stage, like he doesnt belong there) And legolas (new drummer) hes too machiney, Martin was just, more opeth then this new guy. I'm sad to see the band change but I think around the time(s) of writing Ghost of perdition, Black Water Park, Demon of The Fall.. . they were at their peak. Though I really hope that gets proven wrong, any news of when a new album might come out?

Wow. You don like Fred just because he looks weird on stage?
Well let's get your favorite male model to play guitar in Opeth then, he will always look sexy onstage.

You think Axe is machiney? Then you're stupid.

And you think they were at their peak when Ghost of Perdition Blackwater Park and Demon of the fall were written? You know they all come from VERY different albums that were released in a long period of time right? Or maybe you just bought a "Greatest Hits" pirate cd.

Think before you rant.

You think Axe is machiney? Then you're stupid.

in the context he said that, its a legitimate point. he compared him to lopez who was a perfect example of a drummer who played with feel. axe is a pretty spot on drummer, but hes so tight, so structured, though theres no doubt hes getting better and better

Ok.

I dont wanna stir shit up anymore then I seem to already have done.

But let me defend myself,

Yes Fred looks bad on stage IMO (which I should be allowed) as a member of opeth, I'm not refering to his attractiveness as a male, Which I don't know how you came to that conclusion from what I said? I mean I think he looks like a bit of a blank minded serial killer, not like some metal head with a sensitive dynamic personaility who enjoys well structured music.

Also, I know the songs were picked from spanned albums no their not off a fucken greatest hits, I hope opeth never release one of those their just basically my 3 songs that sum up my favorite parts of opeths music. and after watershed Im seriously doubting that the next cd will exceed expectations. But yeah, im not to keen on being right about that.

As for drums, thats an opinion thing too, maybe My veiw is slanted cos I really thought Martin was the man and I don't like my fav ppl in bands getting switched out. But yeah Ive been drumming for over half of my life now, and the way I see it AXE is NOT as dynamic. And this doesnt mean he's a worse drummer, hes technically speaking probably better and faster then Mendez but For me, the bands changed alot. And i think my love for opeth is back in the 1990's late till ghost reveries. But I also really like the 2 oldest albums. their interesting and beautiful and stills metal as