Opeth albums always take a while to catch on for me.

when I say until Ghost reveries. I meant to say including. But dont get me wrong I dont hate Watershed at all, some songs are mint as. Dont mind the album still better then most other bands for me aye.

Cool Avatar btw, is that a schecter??

true, unless it's ridiculously awesome and you instantly like it and never gets boring

I feel exactly the same as Walls does. I understand that Damnation was a bit of an experiment, and that's cool. But it and Watershed are easily the least-played Opeth releases in my collection. I might even be a bit worried about the direction of the band right now. Blasphemy? Maybe. But can anyone honestly state that songs like Burden, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega, and Derelict Herds are on par with their past catalog? If so, then good on ya. It's just not like that for me. At some point, you stop being a progressive death metal band, and morph into something else. Watershed tells me that that's what's going on with Opeth. Watershed, for me, was a signal that the good old days are over. I really hope I'm wrong.

But can anyone honestly state that songs like Burden, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega, and Derelict Herds are on par with their past catalog?

All of their albums are great in their own sense. Its not really fair to compare My Arms, Your Hearse with Watershed, because they are two very different albums. It just comes down to your personal taste in music. Some people will love Watershed, while others will appreciate other albums.

You're right, Prophet. I'd be thrilled to learn that Watershed won Opeth new fans. Anything to ensure that they'll be releasing new material until they're ready for the retirement home. My biggest problem with Watershed is the absence of the old sense of anger and foreboding...and the growling vocals. No one on the genre growls as well as Mikael. It's not even close. I realize that the growling is not missing entirely, but it just seems to me that the whole album is a harbinger of "softer" things to come. I'll love the band no matter what, and I appreciate that they don't do the AC/DC thing and constantly release the same album...but (for me) it seems like the fire has burned down to embers.

I realize that the growling is not missing entirely, but it just seems to me that the whole album is a harbinger of "softer" things to come.

Yeah I agree. I don't think we will ever see another 'death metal-ish' record like MAYH or Deliverance again, but that is just the direction the band is going in. I think their next album will be more experimental and progressive, which I'm sure will be great.

But who knows, Mike may want to show us that he's still has the best death growl in the industry and crush us with another brutal album, anything is possible.

Either way, I'm a fan of bands that progress, and every Opeth record has been different but familiar, and all of them have been great, which not a lot of bands can say.

Ah hell, it could be because I'm such an angry person, I can't fully appreciate the evolution of Opeth right now. I guess you just start to associate certain bands with certain concepts. You know? Opeth, for me, has always been a bit of an anger release. Kinda like Pantera. It's usually not a good sign when fans sense that their favorite band is losing their anger, but maybe Opeth will buck the trend. And I might have to start associating them with other emotions. Might not be the worst thing in the world.