Opeth albums in brief

Ecstatic Youth

...playing with fire
Hey, i've liked Opeth for about a year, I show up here quite a bit, and I think Opeth fucking kick ass, live and in studio.

Anyways,
I have BWP and it kicks much ass. But i'm in the dark about the rest. I know some of their names, Still Life(before BWP), Orchid, MAYH, that's all I can recall right now. So what are the rest like? I want to make a purchase. Are they more mellow, more heavy, a concept album(i know at least one is, about some dead chick right?), good, bad(i doubt it). Know what I mean?
I'm lookin' at you Oyo, I remember reading something like what i'm looking for once by you.

Your help would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

Ummm depending on what you want to hear you cant go wrong with any opeth cd, they are all freakin great. but here is the break down
1)Orchid=has alot of heavey riffs and alot of growl vocals. It also has one of the greatest piano songs i have every heard called Silhouettes.
2)Morningrise=It has a great mixture of acoustic and distorted guitars. This cd explores more musical talent with songs such as black rose immortal which is 20 some mins long.
3)My Arms Your Hearst=This is a great cd with a really cool idea, at the end of everysong they say the name to the next song. it has great vision and musical content(as do they all).
4)Still Life=It has a great mixture of Heavy and melodic songs. With song like benighted and face of melinda, there are great calmer songs that just sooth the soul. And then songs like moonlapse vertigo, White Cluster, and Serenity Painted Death, they get your blood pumping.
For a new Opethian that enjoyed BLACKWATER PARK, i would suggest that you buy Still life next,,,but that is just my opion and i am sure there are people that disagree with me.

Still Life - Conceptual Lyrics, Very good balance of mellow and hard. Considered to be one of the best Opeth "introductory" albums.

My Arms, Yoru Hearse - Conceptual Lyrics, A bit harder than Still Life, my personal favorite track "When" is on this is disc. Considered to be a good Opeth introductory seeing that it is their middle album.

Morningrise - Considered by many to be Opeth's shining jewel. Lyrics are not conceptual, but rather personal to Mikael himself. Contains the epic 20 minute track "Black Rose Immortal". Well balanced between heavy and mellow.

Orchid - Opeth's debut album. Heavier than most Opeth albums. Still very good. Raw production. Lyrics are not conceptual.

Yes good examples by you guys. Ecstatic Youth you wont go wrong buying any of them out of order. They are all great. Some may take you longer to get into , but I assure you that you will get into everyone of them. Blackwater Park is my personal favorite because I just love the vocals the best on that cd and morningrise has just some amazing harmonising with the electrics.

I don't. I made the mistake of getting 3 at once. Orchid, Morningrise and Still Life... all in one silly ass shot. I couldn't do anything for months but absorb Opeth. I couldn't just listen to one. The others on the shelves beckoned me. So I switch every day. Madness I tell ya. Take it easy. One at a time.

You could hurt yourself! :loco:

Yeah, Opeth does NOT have a single, bad album. This is what makes them so special, where other artists tend to fail (IMO!)

However, MORNINGRISE and Orchid are their absolute greatest!!!

Originally posted by Alcapoth
Yeah, Opeth does NOT have a single, bad album. This is what makes them so special, where other artists tend to fail (IMO!)

However, MORNINGRISE and Orchid are their absolute greatest!!!
Yeah! Especially Morningrise = :worship: :worship: :worship:

MAYH is their least good I think... so put that one on the bottom of the stack when you buy them all 4 at the same time... :loco: