Opeth and drum tone/production.

CF87

Dec 15, 2003
Anyone else think opeth should go back to the more natural drum sound. If Martin Lopez pushes the drum sound/production anymore it's going to sound really clinical & inhuman where it could really be the first mess up regarding opeth imo. I don't want to think to myself opeth no longer sounds like a group of 5 guys but instead just another product of technology. Opeth is about atmosphere and feeling. I don't want opeth to loose the natural nature feel. I hope they don't go the Decapitated,necrophagist root because these type bands are stupid imo.

All the drum sounds before Deliverance are perfect whether it be peter or martin. Not that the drums on Deliverance or GR are awful but I can't imagine opeth going further with it in a good way.

I see your point, but IMO going keyboards is the first step to opeth turning into another cliche/product of technology. Piano is awesome.. but keys? not for opeth in my opinion..

i think the best drumsound they ever had was on damnation. GR's drums arn't bad at all though... hopefully they will never go back to that horrible drumsound on MAYH (lol at the kickdrums)

Am I the only one who thought the drumming in 'By The Pain I See In Others' was some of the best death metal drumming from Lopez... hell.. from Opeth..?

daz436 said:
I see your point, but IMO going keyboards is the first step to opeth turning into another cliche/product of technology. Piano is awesome.. but keys? not for opeth in my opinion..

but they are using 'vintage' style keys (mellotron/organs/etc), not dimmu style keys or some shit

personally, i love those 'vintage' sounds a lot and am loving their addition to opeth's music.

did you not think the opening to Beneath The Mire was kinda forced and crappy sounding?

i actually enjoyed deliverance's drum sound, i wouldn't mind if they continued with that sound... and the keys just make everythng much better

daz436 said:
Am I the only one who thought the drumming in 'By The Pain I See In Others' was some of the best death metal drumming from Lopez... hell.. from Opeth..?
Absolutely 100% agree. That was some great drumming with machine gun precision. Love that sound.

I loved the drumming on the older albums, but they sounded a little muddy. Clean them up and give them more bass punch and they would be perfect. Take the beginning of DotF before the lyrics...

The inclusion of keys has only enhanced the sound by adding another layer of atmosphere - for the most part it is subtle. Its not like we're talking vulgar Dream Theater style key solos, that would be another matter entirely :)

I dont have a problem with the drumming on any albums...but I agree I wouldnt want it to sound any more unnatural/overproduced.

On the subject of keys...Id like to see Per work more with piano sounds like in "A Fair Judgement" rather than the synth sounds...not that I mind them as long as they arent too overbearing...which was rare on GR.

I laughed at the person who dissed the My Arms, Your Hearse drum sound, which is by far the most natural sounding of all Opeth releases, and easily my favorite.

Strangely enough, it was the drums in Deliverance that caught my attention. The clarity of the sound really lets us hear what Lopez is capable of. I can understand why most people would be turned off by the at times 'mechanical' sound of the drums, but personally I think for the most part they work to the album's advantage. It works especially well when the guitars and drums are played together (don't know how to articulate that better...) - i.e. the outro of the title track.

fizz6207 said:
I dont have a problem with the drumming on any albums...but I agree I wouldnt want it to sound any more unnatural/overproduced.

On the subject of keys...Id like to see Per work more with piano sounds like in "A Fair Judgement" rather than the synth sounds...not that I mind them as long as they arent too overbearing...which was rare on GR.

I too have enjoyed the drum sound on every Opeth release. They all seem to fit just fine and I don't think that there will ever be a problem with "artificial" sounding drums. My personal favorite however, would have to be Orchid. The unrefined quality is really appealing to me. :headbang:

As previously mentioned, the outro of 'Deliverance' is the best moment of Opeth drumming in my opinion.

And I kinda like the mellotron sound as long as it's in the background (ie. first heavy part in Harlequin Forest), but let's hope we never hear a keyboard solo in an Opeth song :D

I thought the clarity and tone of the drums on GR was fantastic... I never had a problem with them before anyway... but I really love the way they sound on GR.

The keys? a perfect addition in MHO. There's absolutely nothing "electronic" or steril sounding there. "Organic" actually comes to mind.

Just my opinion. nothing more.

:devil: