Opeth and movie soundtracks

Bartman

Chinese fighter pilot
Jun 22, 2004
Ranch on Mars
I hesitated to start this thread, seeing as how most band message boards tend to have this topic at one time or another. I didn't see it recently, so here goes:

What movie do you think Opeth (existing songs or simply their style, as in original stuff just for the film) could do a soundtrack for? This can be either an existing film, or simply a genre that you think their music could do some justice to.

I bet some of those MotoX or Warren Miller movies would be pretty sweet. Or something with a lot of ass-kicking like the Bourne Identity. Something from John Woo, Quentin Tarantino, or Guy Richie perhaps.

Maybe it wouldn't work at all? Please comment...

Bartman

Would work well in a very "epic" film... sci-fi, fantasy.. something like that.

Maybe the Matrix trilogy? :p

Sorry, I think I'm one of the few people that loved Revolutions in the theater. Plus, the orchestrated soundtrack for that movie... is really fucking good.

i don't know if opeth's music would fit well in a movie...i can't think of one. if anything, it would be off of damnation...it seems like movies that have metal music all seem to be lame testosterone (spl?) driven action, or car movies.

I agree with the person who said something epic, preferrably fantasy or sci-fi. Specifically like renaissance time films, stuff kind of like Gladiator.

I thought of this myself very often. I think it would really fit those epic forrest movies. I always see images of Still Life. I think the new M. Night Shyamalan movie "the Village" (working title was "The Woods") would be perfect for Opeth music (see old thread about this).

I think that the Still Life story should be made into a movie actually!

i dont think opeth would work in a movie, unless you are talking about damnation.

I really wanna see Deaths Design made though, with diabolical masquerade in the soundtrack as was planned.

Also, there is a film coming out called Alone in the Dark (based on the game), which has nightwish, in flames, soilwork, edguy, death angel, anthrax etc in the soundtrack. im really looking forward to seeing this...

JoeVice said:
i don't know if opeth's music would fit well in a movie...i can't think of one. if anything, it would be off of damnation...it seems like movies that have metal music all seem to be lame testosterone (spl?) driven action, or car movies.
This. I can see weakness or closure being used actually. It's up to your imagination as to which part of the songs I mean and for what type of movie. Also Ending Creds because it's an instrumental.

I always think of Opeth's music as being very cinematic. When I listen to Deliverance (the song) it conjures up images of someone being drowned, and big waves of water rising out of a calm sea. Blackwater Park would be the perfect soundtrack to Conan The Barbarian. Maybe.

If I ever directed a movie I'd get Opeth to do the score.

Without a doubt, the new American version of 'The Ring'. All that old victorian mood, landscapes and mist shrouded hills and trees brings Damnation and Deliverance too mind.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
I agree with the person who said something epic, preferrably fantasy or sci-fi. Specifically like renaissance time films, stuff kind of like Gladiator.

Ummm...Gladiator was set in 300 or 400 AD. This is over 1000 years before the Renaissance even began. After the fall of the Roman Empire most of Europe fell into the Dark Ages and then the Middle Ages followed. This was followed by the Renaissance (which is French for rebirth) and the Enlightenment when people rediscovered the Classical Age (Rome and Greece). They started painting, discovering scientific theories, questioning the church's authority (which dominated life before the Renaissance era), inventing (things like Guttenburg's printing press), muskets and cannons were developed and improved upon, and overall increased the standard of living. Before the Renaissance there were really only three classes. The clergy, the nobility, and peasants. Out of the Renaissance came the middle class or bourgeoisie. It was a time of great improvement in almost every aspect of life.

My point is, Gladiator has nothing to do with the Renaissance. Movies set in this era would be, The Three Musketeers, Shakespeare in Love, The Man in the Iron Mask, etc.

Like I said, Gladiator was set in 400 AD or so and The Renaissance is generally agreed to be the era roughly between 1400 and 1650 or so.

Opeth's music couldn't be used for anything. They are the soundtrack for my imagination. That's all.