Me and Opeth and non metal fans.

Well to tell you the truth, I am actually an underground hardcore gangsta rappa. The only thing I listen to other than opeth is hardcore rap. I actually got into Opeth because i was trying to download the dirty version of Fuck the Police by N.W.A. and it turned out to be a mislabelled copy of The Moor. I was instantly hooked. Thats my story.

Originally posted by IcemanJ256
TheLedTool: If you need to buy SOMETHING by Dark Tranquillity, I suggest projector first. although it looks like you want to get Damage Done first. I think the contrast of clean/death vocals on projector is great. I love the other albums I have by them too (skydancer/chaos and the gallery)

I was thinking about getting Projector first. I really like "Therein." I don't really care that much... I think I'll inevitably like them anyway. ;)

Originally posted by IcemanJ256
Blackwater Park seems to be THE album to turn people on to death metal in general nowadays.

Somehow I don't see Blackwater Park as a "Death Metal-turner-on-er."

They should try some Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, or Dying Fetus.

That's pretty much the only death metal I listen to. I haven't found anyone else that's technical enough for my tastes aside from these bands (oh wait, Nile too!)

Opeth doesn't really fall in the death metal list for me.

I love crazy shit too though, like Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah. I listen to some of those riffs and just think "Get the fuck outta here!" They are nuts!

Then I have my more eccentric stuff like...

Bjork, Radiohead, Tortoise, Butthole Surfers, Jesus Lizard, various Mike Patton projects

And then the oldies from back in Middle/High School:

Rage, 311, Tool, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Helmet, Faith no More, Nirvana...shit I even liked Green Day before they got a little too "punk"...hahaha...

I like lots of crap, nowadays, which is good, cause all I ever used to listen to was one band at a time.

It was like everyday I'd come home from school and pop in "Evil Empire," the little allen wrench riff would kick in that I'd play it with fingernail clippers...ah, the good ol' days....

Rage Against the Machine totally kicks ass, got into them after Opeth, so I don't think Opeth had any influence on me getting into them. Evil Empire is probably my favourite followed by Battle of La.

Originally posted by Static
Rage Against the Machine totally kicks ass, got into them after Opeth, so I don't think Opeth had any influence on me getting into them. Evil Empire is probably my favourite followed by Battle of La.

You know, I never really realized how simple Rage guitar riffs were until later on when I got better at guitar...and they still fucking rock like crazy!!!

I listen to all kinds of metal, some heavy metal but mostly melodic death, death and black :)
And i dont see why some people say that opeth is death metal because it doesnt sound like death metal

Um... Opeth's vocals are usually not something people are used to. Opeth is definitely a way for people to get into metal because they are great at what they do. I know I used to be "I don't really like the vocals, BUT..." and I'm sure others have felt the same way, although I do enjoy them a lot now, hehe.

Originally posted by airman
Ehh... I´m like waiting for someone to say:

"Yeahh... before I liked Opeth I was into N´sync "
:lol:

Well Linkin Park was my favorite band about a year and a half ago. Seriously.

I'm still in the process of selling all my nu-metal cd's to fund my metal passion. I have some Maiden on the way :D

Originally posted by astrochimp
Which reminds me...you should all check out the following:

The Microphones' "The Glow pt. 2"
This is one of the best albums I've ever heard - it also makes me laugh when people call Opeth emotional when stuff like this exists.

You have a great taste in music man, and I'm in exactly the same boat as you(I love like 90% of the bands you've mentioned in this topic) - except, I'm a huge hardcore-[randomgenre] fan as well.. I love The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge and Messhugah for example.

Great Post-Rock Albums I strongly recommend(although you probably have already :))

A Silver Mt. Zion - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upwards
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Still Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
My Bloody Valentine - Isnt' Anything
Radiohead - KID A
Portishead - Dummy
Sigur Ros - Von
Slowdive - Pygliamon

(A Silver Mt. Zion are a Godspeed You Black Emperor side projector who make GYBE look boring and bland and the rest I'm sure you've heard of.)

Other prog/death/black/whatever Metal Albums I recommend(and since you're practically my musical twin you might too)

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Children of Bodom - Follow The Reaper
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

Most of it took a while to grow one me though..even longer than Opeth did. :)