Non-metal fans and Opeth

sknight

Are You Morbid?
I noticed there are tons of non-metal fans who are into Opeth. I was assuming that they bought Damnation first, then went through the rest of their catalog and either liked it, or didn't.

In fact, a non-metal fan turned me onto them.

What do you guys think? Is this phenomenon that widespread?

It's been the case all throughout. Non-metal fans have been drawn in by BWP and SL because of their calming acoustic or clean electric sections. They soon learn to stomach the heavy parts too and then you have yourself a full-fledged, new metal fan.

The problem I have with some of these people is that once they learn to stomach the metal element of Opeth, many of them refuse to EXPAND their metal horizons and go on to claim that Opeth are the only band who don't "roar roar blast blast" as it's come to be known.

I mean, there's a few of us whom Opeth was (essentialy) the first step into death and black metal, but not nearly enough methinks.

I was first turned on to Opeth because everyone on the net was always talking about them. This was around the BP period. I started downloading some songs. I think the first one I got was The Night and the Silent Water. That was my favorite of the songs I downloaded too. Anyway, I got Blackwater Park shortly after, then I got the other albums that came out before it, and then I got Deliverance and Damnation when they came out. I was pretty much a nu-metal fan before I discovered Opeth, although I listened to a few metal bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura, and to a lesser extent Soulfly. I still listen to nu-metal. There is a lot of crap in that genre, but there is a lot of crap in any genre, including death metal. There are also some really good bands. Well anyway, after I got into Opeth I started listening to more metal bands. And an old friend of mine moved back to town and we started hanging out again and he was really into metal, so we would introduce each other to new bands. It was really cool; it was just like when I first got into nu-metal back in high school. I hadn't been that excited about music in a long time. So you could say that Opeth and my friend got me more into metal.

I listened to progressive rock and needed a new perspective on things. I was reading Terrorizer a couple years ago and they featured and article on Opeth (strangely enough, it was their "progressive" issue). I immediately went and bought the only album I could find, which happened to be BWP (surprise, surprise). Needless to say, I liked it. The good people on this forum have since turned me on onto several other bands.
Good bye.

im somewhat down the middle of things...

i grew up on stuff like zeppelin, the beatles, yes, rush, king crimson, simon and garfunkel, boston, the moody blues and even judas priest, black sabbath, metallica and the scorpions, etc.

then when i was around 13 i explored metal a bit more, getting into solo ozzy, megadeth, slayer, testament.

then at 15-16 i explored more underground metal, like emperor, opeth, carcass, in flames, etc etc. At this point i also found out there was a whole new world of underground classic/progressive/psych rock that i hadnt heard before, attached to such bands as king crimson, yes, the beatles, etc which i was already into...

and since then ive been a big fan of both genres...and i continue to dig and dig the rock genre to find new bands, and occasionally new metal bands (however ive found very few new ones or ones i havent heard are worth my time)...so anyway, i got into Opeth around the time i was 16 i beleive...i had to get used to growls in general at the time, not just for opeth exclusively.

I read about them in Kerrang magazine and was drawn in by what I was reading. One day my local indie CD shop was closing down and selling their CDs really cheap I came across BWP for £2($5?). When I first listened to BWP I knew I liked Opeth but found the growls hard to digest but I soon learned to love the them and the rest is history........

dorian gray said:
I listened to progressive rock and needed a new perspective on things. I was reading Terrorizer a couple years ago and they featured and article on Opeth (strangely enough, it was their "progressive" issue). I immediately went and bought the only album I could find, which happened to be BWP (surprise, surprise). Needless to say, I liked it. The good people on this forum have since turned me on onto several other bands.
Good bye.
i still have that issue actually. maybe the best underground metal mag issue ive ever read.

when I first heard about Opeth and their style I was totally intrigued and I bought blackwater park in 01. I loved it, and I bought rest...thought it was totally genius, I loved every bit of the band especially the vocals.
but yeah when I was in 5th grade not even a metalhead I heard a Napalm Death song and I was like "wwwhhhaaa!!?!?!"

but for the record, Opeth commenced my interest into non metal music...their music told me that there is other amazing music out there to listen to.

FUBAR said:
I read about them in Kerrang magazine and was drawn in by what I was reading. One day my local indie CD shop was closing down and selling their CDs really cheap I came across BWP for £2($5?). When I first listened to BWP I knew I liked Opeth but found the growls hard to digest but I soon learned to love the them and the rest is history........

I was about to post that.

No really!

I have always been a classic rock fan, but I always wanted something heavier. The first metal band I ever bought a cd of was Meshuggah. Then online in some chatroom someone said that Opeth was much better than Meshuggah and that I should check them out. Downloaded Demon, Patterns in the Ivy, and The Funeral Portrait, and was hooked. So I bought MAYH, then Morningrise, then BWP, then Orchid, then Still Life, then Deliverance, then Damnation.

They've since gotten me into both death metal and prog rock.

I was in this metal band,our guitarist was having a birthday party and everyone was into total diffrent music styles at the time.So our other guitarist had just got into Opeth and gave him Morningrise.I remeber we was drunk and listning to the albume at this party.I didnt like the sound of the albume and didnt like it too much either.Some months later after a rehersal some friends introduced me into Bwp(hehe) and i was just oh,crap! it was my real impressive of the band.After that i went to buy all the albumes and was totaly a Opeth fan. :worship:

I don't really remember how I first heard about Opeth...
I think I just discovered them for myself, and went out and bought BWP. Before that I was a Nu-Metal/Mainstream prog Tool, APC. I'd never listened to death metal or any really heavy metal before, and once I turned on BWP and started listening to Leper I immediately liked the growls. When the acoustic interlude came in I started to get impatient because I wanted more growls :headbang:
And now of course I listen to lots and lots of prog, thrash, black, and death metal, bands like slayer, testament, megadeth, DT, agalloch, borknagar, cryptopsy, decapitated, iced Earth...

I suppose I'd be a non-metal fan. I can tolerate most sorts of metal, but really Opeth is the only one I listen to a lot. I don't mind growling/screaming, heavy riffs and drums, etc., but I need a balance between heavy and light if I'm going to listen to it with any regularity.

I used to listen to Manowar hardcore until I reached a point where warrior type metal seemed silly. So went on a spree where i bought random albums to try and broaden my taste, Incantation, Dimmu Borgir and Opeths Blackwater Park. I skipped the first track and assumed it was one of those overlong Intros like Dimmu does, and listened to Bleak. It amazed me cause i could understand the growls unlike 99% of the other singers who use this vocal style, but the next song Harvest is the one that made me fall in love with Opeth's music.