Me and Opeth and non metal fans.

astrochimp

An AOLTime Warner Company
Oct 20, 2002
Visit site
(Worst subject line ever) SKIP THE FIRST 2/3rds OF THIS POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR MY BACKSTORY...

I just registered onto this board tonight, but I just want to sort of introduce myself before anyone just automatically hates me or says "Who the hell is this bastard." (I don't usually do crap like this, but it seems right here).

I'm a 20 year old college student from Minnesota, and I don't like metal in general. I loved Metallica back in my younger years, and I listened to plenty of Alice and Chains and stuff like that, but nowadays I'm into mosty non-heavy indie type stuff like the Flaming Lips, The Dismemberment Plan, Elliott Smith, Built To Spill, Godspeed You Black Emperor, etc etc etc etc...

But last summer I just happened upon Blackwater Park in one of those listening stations at a record store. I really liked the "O" on their logo (I'm a design student, so I notice this kind of crap), so I took a listen. The growling singing started and I was thinking " Oh great...another frikkin death metal band," but something about the music intrigued me enough to continue listening.

I stood in the record store for ten minutes listening to the entire song, and by the end I was just astounded. I listened to more of it right there and became even more astounded. I bought the record that night, and listened to it pretty much constantly for the next day or two. I was just absolutely amazed at the music they make, and I still am today. By the end of the summer I had all 5 albums, and consider myself quite an unlikely fan of the band, who in my opinion is simply one of the two or three best bands out there today.

Anyhow...I can't imagine anyone actually read that, but whatever. This leads me to my question...

Opeth is pretty much the only metal band I listen to (though I also really like Neurosis). Is anyone else on this board the same way?
If so, what else do you listen to? I tend to think that anyone who truly understands and appreciates what GOOD rock music is can be an Opeth fan, no matter what other music they may listen to, and I'm really curious to see what sort of non-metal Opeth fans listen to.

-Steve

Welcome to the boards.

I am more and more getting into metal, so I'm not really applicable for the non-metal Opeth fans.

But I will comment that Opeth does transcend its metal genre and I don't think it's the most unlikely thing to get into the band.

Most people here will like metal, but most also have a variety of musical tastes.

You mentioned mostly newer bands you like. Just out of curiousity, do you like (or know of) Nick Drake?

Holy crap. Absolutely. I love Nick Drake (well...not HIM, but his music. Okay...maybe him too). In fact the mere mention of him has made me just decide to take out Pink Moon to listen to.

Right after I posted my enormous post there, I looked at a few other threads and saw someone was listening to Five Leaves Left, which I'm guessing was you. Nick Drake is one of the only people who I've never actually met whose death I feel true sadness and remorse for (him and Jeff Buckley) -- it just kills me that he had to die before he was really recognized for what he was. It's like he had something to say, but just couldn't quite say it.

Anyway...So, yeah. I'm a big fan of Nick Drake.

I could go on and on with a list of other artists I'm into, but that could take a while. I'll just say this:

Two of my favorite groups are from Sweden: Opeth and The Cardigans. I think that just about says it all.

-Steve

Originally posted by astrochimp

But last summer I just happened upon Blackwater Park in one of those listening stations at a record store. I really liked the "O" on their logo (I'm a design student, so I notice this kind of crap), so I took a listen. The growling singing started and I was thinking " Oh great...another frikkin death metal band," but something about the music intrigued me enough to continue listening.

I stood in the record store for ten minutes listening to the entire song, and by the end I was just astounded. I listened to more of it right there and became even more astounded. I bought the record that night, and listened to it pretty much constantly for the next day or two. I was just absolutely amazed at the music they make, and I still am today. By the end of the summer I had all 5 albums, and consider myself quite an unlikely fan of the band, who in my opinion is simply one of the two or three best bands out there today.

Anyhow...I can't imagine anyone actually read that, but whatever. This leads me to my question...

Opeth is pretty much the only metal band I listen to (though I also really like Neurosis). Is anyone else on this board the same way?

-Steve

I'm quoting this because you are EXACTLY how I was like when I first heard Opeth. At that stage I listened to more commercial stuff like Everclear, Soundgarden, Tool and other indie/alternative groups. I hated growling with a vengeance because I had only heard Cannibal Corpse at that point and thought it was terrible shite. Then, just like you, I saw BWP on the shelf, gave it a listen and it blew me away. From then on it was the only growling band I liked. However...slowly but surely I discovered all the other brilliant metal bands out there. I think this is a logical/natural progression for the starting Opeth fan...slowly you will start to like other metal groups if you choose the right ones.

Therefore...here is some recommendations...bands to check out that you will surely like if you like Opeth-
Edge of Sanity
Nightingale
Dark Tranquility
In Flames
Amorphis
Porcupine Tree (a must! Tho not metal)

That should get you started. Trust me, if you like Opeth than there is a high possibilty these other groups will change your perception of metal.

Actually, it wasn't me. I, unfortunately, only own Pink Moon right now (but I should be getting Five Leaves Left soon). I'm sure there are several Nick Drake fans on the board...

He was a terribly talented guy. He just is one of the artists I come to think of when I think of when I think of quintessential or pinnacle musicians, particularly for him being considered "folk" (although you could say he transcends folk for most people as well).

Also, what Static said is very true. Before I discovered Opeth, the only metal bands I liked were Tool and Alice In Chains, but I've discovered some wonderful obscure metal bands that I like a lot.

All the bands he mentioned are good.

I particularly recommend Arcturus, Agalloch, Amorphis, and Tool if you haven't tried them before.

Porcupine Tree is also excellent.

I'll help out by showing you where you get can mp3s...

Amorphis has an mp3.com site:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/56/amorphis.html

A lot of good stuff is available there... I particularly recommend "Black Winter Day" and "Better Unborn" as starters. :) Black Winter Day was the song got me into them, and I have to say, I love their music... I'm still playing the two albums I have by them. One particular thing of note about them: their lyrics (up until their newest, Am Universum) are mostly taken from old Finnish poems/ballads. It is excellent, particularly if you concentrate on lyrics (as I do).

Agalloch has some mp3s available online...
You can d/l at:
http://web.wanadoo.be/darkmosphere/agalloch/

Main --> media --> mp3s

The songs there aren't really their best (although good). If you can, try and d/l "Hallways of Enchanted Ebony." If you find your way to the UM Hub on Direct Connect, I'm sure someone will have it. Porcupine Tree and Tool don't usually have mp3s at sites, but the hub has to be full of people with their songs...

Finally, you can d/l:
http://www.theendrecords.com/real_audio/arcturus_crossedstar.mp3 ,

which is just a link from:
http://www.theendrecords.com/html/arcturus/arcturus.html

Let us if know if you like any of them. ;) Also, I can always send stuff too. I'm always trying to spread good music, when I can.

Porcupine Tree is the biggest must for you. I think if everyone was only to listen to two bands they should be Opeth and Porcupine Tree.

I'm not like you in that Opeth is the only metal band I like, but as my musical taste developes, I've been getting more into a ton of mellow stuff. Some honorable mentions, besides Porcupine Tree, are Anekdoten, Landberk, Antimatter, Ulver (The New Stuff), The Loveless, Freak Kitchen, Air, etc.

Also, if you haven't already, check out Katatonia. They're heavy enough to be considered metal, but more passionate and just all around better than most other stuff out there (plus they have all clean vocals).

If you feel compelled to check any out, IM me on AIM, SN IanDork107, I'll give you a sample or two...

Thanks for the links. I'm going to check out some Amorphis (I've only heard bits and pieces...pretty much samples from Amazon) and Agalloch.

As for Porcupine Tree, I downloaded a whole bunch of mp3's last year (during Audiogalaxy's short reign), and I'm not sure where I stand with them. Some of it I listen to and think, "Man, these guys are really good." But some of it I find a bit too...something. Like they're trying too hard. I don't know. Too many NEGATIVE prog influences? I just can't put my finger on it, but I just can't get 100% into it. And I'm not very impressed with the samples I've heard of their new album. I can definitely hear the production style of Steve Wilson on BWP after hearing the Porcupine Tree stuff. I think Porcupine Tree is one of those groups where if I ever win the lottery and don't have to worry about money, I'd go out and buy their albums.

It's weird...after I got into Opeth, I started sampling all these other bands that everyone recommends Opeth fans listen to, and nothing ever really clicks with me. Katatonia is pretty much the only referrenced group that I really enjoy. I've heard plenty of In Flames (my friend is a big fan), and while I can't say that they're bad or anything, it just doesn't really hit me. (It's funny though...even before my eyes were opened to Opeth, I was listening to a few Arch Enemy songs thinking, "Hmm...maybe metal isn't so bad afterall...")

Anyhow...thanks again for the links. i'll make sure to check them out.

-Steve

I'm not too into In Flames myself (I like their music, but the lyrics haven't ever impressed me).

Porcupine Tree's new album is awesome. They have gotten some of the Opeth influence, and I think In Absentia is a great culmination.

Seriously though, I had a very similar reaction to you... I never thought any of the bands could match what Opeth does, but I gradually realized what bands have to offer. Some are certainly more agreeable than others... it is worth checking out, at least. :)

Also, Katatonia is more known perhaps for the emotional connection fans get with them... I plan to buy some Katatonia eventually, but it wasn't something that I thought much of originally either.

I apologize if I'm being at all overbearing... I'm just a passionate music fan. :lol:

Static: :headbang: I love that song, although there are a few other songs on "Tales from the Thousand Lakes" I love as much or more. I need to get .. all the Amorphis albums. :lol:

Don't worry about it. I do the same to people all the time with my music. I have a hard time shutting up about it.

Which reminds me...you should all check out the following:

The Microphones' "The Glow pt. 2"
The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin"
Appleseed Cast's "Low Level Owl pts. I & II"
The Shins' "O Inverted World"

Heh heh.

Anyhow...good god do I need to get some sleep.

Originally posted by TheLedTool

Static: :headbang: I love that song, although there are a few other songs on "Tales from the Thousand Lakes" I love as much or more. I need to get .. all the Amorphis albums. :lol:

Hehe, I'm also guilty of not really listening to much Amorphis except Tales as well. What can I say, its the shit! I've heard lots of AM Universe and it does nothing for me.

I like all In Flames, even the new stuff. I dunno, they just 'click' with me for some reason, even more so than Dark Tranquillity does, who are also awesome.

astro: I've heard of those bands before except the Microphones, but I'll try to look into them further. If you can get at the hub sometimes, you could help bring some variety to what music is there, hehe.

For information on that, you can d/l Direct Connect at http://www.neo-modus.com/ and the UM hub is at paladin.sublevels.net

DC is probably the best thing since audiogalaxy died...

Static: Dark Tranquillity and In Flames are pretty raw lyrically. Not that is a bad thing necessarily, but it doesn't agree with me in the same way? I like Dark Tranquillity more than In Flames personally. They are more raw, but then they have great lines like "I starve myself for energy." :lol: I need to buy SOMETHING by them...

Eventually, I'll probably have to buy the original In Flames album too...

I just haven't had the cash to purchase all the Amorphis I want... I love "Elegy." I think it's overall a better album than "Tales," although Tales has some AMAZING songs on it.

I'm going to buy "Tuonela" next... I'm sure I would own now if theendrecords.com ever had it in. :( I'll probably have to buy it at amazon for $17 or something :)eek: ). Oh well. It'll be worth it. ;)

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
Im into Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters and Opeth :loco:

Please dont hate me...

Hating someone for their taste in music is very lame. I don't hate you.

However, if you liked pop music, than I would get my shotgun, hunt you down and...well...you can figure out the rest.

Hmm, I went in a totally different direction... I used to listen to nothing but black metal, electro, industrial, and techno-metal. Only in the last few years have I gotten into more diverse metal (...and Oceans, At first I didn't like Opeth because the range from acoustics with clean vox to heavy guitars and death growls seemed somehow forced. I think I expected it to sound like Fear Factory or something, and was disappointed when it didn't. The first album I listened to was, surprisingly enough, Morningrise. I didn't really get into it much.

Then a friend of mine got MAYH and "forced" me to listen to it. It took several attempts, but I ended up hooked on it ;)

Blackwater Park seems to be THE album to turn people on to death metal in general nowadays. I know thats the album that got me into Opeth which eventually got me into a lot of other great metal bands.

all the above mentioned bands are great, check them out :) and don't forget Novembre also when you have the time, they have an mp3.com site.

Black winter Day was also the song that got me into Amorphis ;)

TheLedTool: If you need to buy SOMETHING by Dark Tranquillity, I suggest projector first. although it looks like you want to get Damage Done first. I think the contrast of clean/death vocals on projector is great. I love the other albums I have by them too (skydancer/chaos and the gallery)

Ok dude, I can only give you one piece of advice... go check out Dan Swanös stuff ASAP! There you have a genius, and not only when it comes to brutal metal! I love all of his stuff, from freaked-out "karaboudjan" to Nightingale and Edge of Sanity! He rules :) The official Dan Swanö-forum is hosted here on UM, so check it out!

Originally posted by astrochimp
(But last summer I just happened upon Blackwater Park in one of those listening stations at a record store. I really liked the "O" on their logo (I'm a design student, so I notice this kind of crap), so I took a listen. The growling singing started and I was thinking " Oh great...another frikkin death metal band," but something about the music intrigued me enough to continue listening.

Yaaaaay, I love stories like this. Welcome.

Before getting into Opeth, I was only into "soft" metal, like The Gathering. I was knowledgeable about music from years of studying piano seriously, and the music on the radio just lacked something for me, but I couldn't put my finger on what.

Opeth was just another annoying band my b/f blasted in the car. But suddenly one day I started hearing the music more than the vocals. It was the endings of When and April Ethereal on MAYH that caught my ear. I borrowed the album and became obsessed with them. :) Literally, I listened to solely Opeth for a year. That was about 3 years ago.

I thought they had ruined music for me forever. :lol: But gradually, I've found other bands that inspire me, and as my tastes have gotten heavier and heavier, I've found new genres to explore.

But no, you're definitely not alone in your varied taste in music. There are some amazingly well-versed people on this board of every genre, from rap to classical.