Non-metal fans and Opeth

Opeth brought me into the world of metal, and they're taking me out of it (to prog).

Don't worry though, I will still always be a metalhead.

Kottke said:
I suppose I'd be a non-metal fan. I can tolerate most sorts of metal, but really Opeth is the only one I listen to a lot. I don't mind growling/screaming, heavy riffs and drums, etc., but I need a balance between heavy and light if I'm going to listen to it with any regularity.
This is kind of how I am, except that I do like Metal. :worship:

Yeah... kind of weird, I know.

I almost wet myself laughing at last year's sydney gig. there was this big group of what looked like 14 year old boys in A Perfect Circle shirts, emo glasses and short cropped hair near the middle of the floor, and as soon as Master's Apprentices started their jaws dropped with a look of "whatthe fuck is this?? i thought they played nice music".

what the HELL are you guys talking about? emo? why do i feel like i'm outta the loop here all the time? aaarrrggghh!

I'll never forget sitting at my computer listening to digital cable radio and heard this band with the brutal / clean dynamic. I turned around and had to squint to see the name...Opeth. Went to fucking Best Buy and bought BWP and never turned back. Now I have all the albums, the DVD, and have become a fan of Bloodbath, Katatonia, and Porcupine Tree.

I also have made my way into the list of "similar bands" on allmusic.com's Opeth guide. Of course, many of these are discussed here as well: Ulver, Dark Tranquility, Edge of Sanity, etc. (Strange, though, that damn Tiamat reference one of the reviewers mentions...Tiamat sucks.)