Opeth and movie soundtracks

I don't think Opeth would do that well at the movies. Movie music tends to change mood with the story, and it tends to not demand much of the listener. Opeth's music does demand attention, as you have to listen closely (sometimes) to full appreciate it. I think that Deliverance and Damnation would do well in a horror film, and maybe some acoustic stuff from earlier albums in more epic films.

I think opeth would be good at doing the music for a film but you culdn't just slap the music straight on the film, you would have to make something totally new

ChrisEmerson said:
what wasnt?

i know the film wasnt made, but theres a possiblity that it will be finished in the future apparently.
no

There never was a film.

The whole album was made by Blakkheim and Dan Swanö.

I thought the story behind that was that there was a script for the film, but then it turned out some other studio was making Final Destination which was very similar to the Death's Design script so they canned it.

That's what I read somewhere. No idea if it's true or not. But even if it is I don't think the actual album was ever made with the intention of being a real soundtrack because why would you record a soundtrack for a movie that hasn't even started shooting? So at best maybe he was supposed to be doing the soundtrack for it, then it turned out the movie wasn't getting made but he made the soundtrack anyway because that's just how crazy he is.

Or something.

AbsentFriend said:
I thought of this myself very often. I think it would really fit those epic forrest movies. I always see images of Still Life. I think the new M. Night Shyamalan movie "the Village" (working title was "The Woods") would be perfect for Opeth music (see old thread about this).

I think that the Still Life story should be made into a movie actually!

Yeah, Still Life would make a great movie, but only if they included Jack Frober in it. :lol:

CAIRATH said:
Or something.
That DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE, that's the big thing you've had come out since we last officially talked, that Death's Design. The one time here I've got to be a dick, but the whole thing about being a movie, my feeling is it never was an actual real movie. What's going on?
(my damn tape ran out right about here… luckily I've got a recent issue of the Swedish zine called, of all things, Dessicated Cadaver (it's apparently been around since death metal's heyday in one form or another… although they're only up to issue #6, where this is taken from), and thanks to writer Johan Erland for permission to reprint Dan's Death's Design answer here> "You'll have to ask Anders about this. I was in charge of producing an album for him. He had contact with someone that through his label, wanted him to write some kind of pure music for a movie on keyboards. Harmonies, backing stuff. Textures. That was the main idea. He had written all these pieces of music. In his mind, they were DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE songs with drums and guitars. All this West Hill was getting was keyboards. When the movie didn't happen, Anders was so upset that he had composed all these DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE keyboard songs. He wants to make them full songs, otherwise he'd just throw all these weird ideas away. So he called me and asked "Can we make another DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE album? I just had a soundtrack refused because of some budget problem." Well let's do it. Let's take your songs and say it was the soundtrack to the movie. But nobody has to know this isn't the version that was intended for the screenplay. That would be pretty lousy score music with all this 'roar.' Let's do it! Let's make all these small parts, let's take every single piece of music you made as a backing for a movie, and make it full metal orchestration."…
[OK, the one year statute of gimmick limitations protection is up. If you think I'm a lousy writer for keeping a secret when asked, fine. If you thought there was a Swedish zine called Dessicated Cadaver then I'm smiling. Anyway, check the credits on thh Death's Design album. The only people really on that album are Anders Nystrom, Dan Swanö, and Tom 'Aag' Nouga. No orchestra, no rest of the band. The movie never existed except as a concept for the album. The West & Hill Film Corp. was made up for purposes of an album gimmick. There is not, and never was a movie called Death's Design. If you think independent film companies scrap projects after shooting has already started merely because a mainstream movie already had a similar plot, you're insane and you've been had. Death's Design a cool album, nothing more, and certainly nothing less.]

http://www.mindspring.com/~raggije/interviews/SWANO-DAN02-2002.htm