Opeth Australia tour?

I'd love to see any of the following as a support:

Alchemist (for the love of Aussie metal! It should be these guys!)
Alarum
Pathogen
The Furor
Astriaal
Psycroptic (I think they will be overseas at the time)
LORD
Vespers Descent

Seriously, give it to an Australian METAL band and a deserving one. If someone like Karnivool gets the support, then the promoter should have his dick bitten off by a crocodile and the rest of him covered in flesh eating ants.

oh really? Wonder what they are doing over there. I know they are recording a new album, so i believe.

etakistan said:
Or The Furor! :p
They really unimpressed me the last time I saw them. Probably had something to do with the guitarist wearing a huge freaking hood with fake horns coming out the top of it. VERY standard.

My hopeful list:
Psycroptic
Dungeon
Virgin Black
The Amenta

Or if Opeth decide to bring anybody with em, that's ok.

I kind of got bored of Virgin Black first time they came down with Opeth. I wouldn't mind seeing Psycroptic again, but somehow they don't strike me as the type of band to suit Opeth. Psycro opening for Necrophagist or something... now THAT I can see.

Moonlapse said:
I kind of got bored of Virgin Black first time they came down with Opeth.
I'm probably about to commit Aussie metal suicide, but I felt the same way about Alchemist in 2003.

Moonlapse said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Psycroptic again, but somehow they don't strike me as the type of band to suit Opeth.
Yeah, then again, they had Flesh Mechanic also support them in 2003. WTF? :err:

Katatonic said:
I'm probably about to commit Aussie metal suicide, but I felt the same way about Alchemist in 2003.

Yeah, then again, they had Flesh Mechanic also support them in 2003. WTF? :err:

BAH! First The Furor, now Alchemist! BAH!, DIE DIE DIE!!! :zombie: :cry: o_O :erk: :OMG:

Oh well, can't please all.

So I heard a rumour the support is The Eternal, that ain't too bad.

hot off the press:

THE ETERNAL To Support OPETH In Australia - Mar. 29, 2006

Hot on the heels of their highly successful curtain-raising for the H.I.M. Australian tour, it has been announced that Melbourne's dark melodic metal masters THE ETERNAL will be opening for all dates on the Australian OPETH tour. The details are as follows:

Apr. 20 - Perth, AUS @ Capitol
Apr. 21 - Adelaide, AUS @ Thebarton theatre
Apr. 23 - Melbourne, AUS @ The Forum
Apr. 24 - Melbourne, AUS @ The forum
Apr. 25 - Sydney, AUS @ Big top/Luna Park
Apr. 27 - Brisbane, AUS @ The Arena

To coincide with THE ETERNAL's support slot on the OPETH Australian tour, THE ETERNAL's second album for Finnish label Firebox Records ("Sleep of Reason") will see an Australian release through Modern Invasion in late April. Released in Europe and North America in October 2005, "Sleep of Reason" has won extensive acclaim from critics and fans the world over. THE ETERNAL will do their own Australian tour mid-winter in support of the release. THE ETERNAL's next headlining gig will be at the Arthouse in Melbourne on Saturday, April 29 at the conclusion of the OPETH Australian tour.

That's so messed up. Our local bands have to get signed to European labels and get music pressed and distributed elsewhere. When they come back to Australia to do gigs, they play in the Arthouse of all places. My mates' band plays there for God's sake...

It's terrible, what the state of the metal scene is here. There is hardly any chance of making it locally. We have to market ourselves to the Europeans and break through there.

I think thats why so many Australian bands want to make it overseas, bigger market, etc. I read how some bands say that their future is in europe and the US. A pretty silly thing to say when you want the locals to be fans, but they are right. Why would you want to stay here and play to say 100 people at some club/pub when you can play to maybe 1000+ every where else.

Yes, we have to market ourselves overseas to get recognized, but you're not going to get overseas attention by playing the same genres as what everyone else overseas is already doing. We pretty much have to come up with our own style/originality if we can achieve this. Thats how Sweden got noticed, same with Norway, Finland, America, Britain, Germany, I could go on.

Australia still sits at the bottom because too many of our bands are doing whats already been done. Sure, these bands are great, I wont deny that, they are fantastic bands and I'll do my best to make sure people know about them. But who overseas is going to care or want these bands playing in their places if they already got 20 or so other similar bands in their area that are well recognized?

We need originality, I know that sounds harsh, but think about it. Alchemist, our most original band, signed to Relapse, has played headlining gigs in europe with bands like CULT OF LUNA and TEXTURES as supports! Why have they gone this far? Think about it. How many other bands out there sound like Alchemist?

Psycroptic is not far away, lets see how they go. But if we want recognition, we need to develop a sound that is our own! I think anyway!