Opeth Australia tour?

Moonlapse said:
That's so messed up. Our local bands have to get signed to European labels and get music pressed and distributed elsewhere. When they come back to Australia to do gigs, they play in the Arthouse of all places. My mates' band plays there for God's sake...

It's terrible, what the state of the metal scene is here. There is hardly any chance of making it locally. We have to market ourselves to the Europeans and break through there.

Moonlapse if you think you guys have it bad, you should come to New Zealand and check our metal scene, or lack thereof. Our top metal band is 8 foot sativa.. need I say more?
the problem is that most people in NZ love hip hop and shit like that!

1. Why do people rag on Virgin Black so much, they werent that bad, sure Ive heard it all before. But they couldve been alot worse.

2. So who are these guys opening and are then any good?

3. Two weeks till I leave for Melbourne. Seeing it every day on the games was such a great build up. The running was especially cool cuz they ran past flinders station like 100 times, never showed the forum though

I haven't heard The Eternal to be honest, but whatever, as long as Opeth come out after them, I'm happy.

ive seen the eternal twice, once at Under Raven Skies (festival) which was good and once supporting HIM which was crap. they play gothy rock and have a few good hooks here and there, some people notice some katatonia influence in them. im not very excited about seeing them three more times, i'd prefer pathogen, but im seeing them this weekend so all is well :)

Pethical said:
ive seen the eternal twice, once at Under Raven Skies (festival) which was good and once supporting HIM which was crap. they play gothy rock and have a few good hooks here and there, some people notice some katatonia influence in them. im not very excited about seeing them three more times, i'd prefer pathogen, but im seeing them this weekend so all is well :)
Yeah, their new stuff is very Katatonia-ish, even down to the Travis Smith artworks. Should be an alright show, would have preferred to see Psycroptic again though. Thay are freaking sick.

Moonlapse said:
Just hang for Necro to come down... should be a given that Psycro support. That's gonna slay.

How many albums do Necrophagist have? I've only got one, I think its the first one, its got a drum machine on it. Do they have any albums with a real drummer?

The Eternal are pretty cool. Looks like I'm going to enjoy the support band for the first time in my life...

I feel I'm somewhat qualified to inform interested members about The Eternal.

Mark Kelson created the band from the ashes of Cryptal Darkness, which at one stage featured Martin Powell from My Dying Bride. The Eternal have two albums out; the doomy 'The Sombre Light of Isolation' and the gothic rock of 'Sleep of Reason'.

The vocals are clean, except for one or two songs, and they have that heavy yet atmospheric vibe. Trust me, no one who sees Opeth on this tour is going to be disappointed. Sure, you may not rush out and buy both albums (although I'm sure most of you will buy at least one!), but you'll definitely enjoy the epic/dark metal tracks they pump out.

I hope you guys all enjoy them! They're basically a unique entity here in Australia, and deserve fans of dark metal's support.

Pethical said:
i hope they play some of their heavier material. at HIM they played the softer more gothy stuff.

Yeah, I was there too. They still blew HIM out of the water as far as power goes, although that's not really saying much. (Actually, it's not really saying anything!). Still, it's for each individual to judge.

i'll be at both Melb shows and the Syd one, along with Pethical and the rest of you die-hard fans who can be bothered to make the trip. I need to hear WHEN, its a must.