Opeth - "Death metal sound is over"

I can see it in blabbermouth already, one or two more albums and then this headline: "opeth mainman: back to our basics... Mike: we feel it's time to go back to what made us what we are, death metal, we always had it in our hearts, bla bla bla penis tits sophie dee bla bla bla" :) old school opeth fans: omgomgomgomg! new opeth fans: death metal? like... bullet for my valentine? new album comes album,

everybody:
poker-face.jpg

Yeah brah, the 'peth isn't the 'peth without br00tality. It's not like Bloodbath can do that. It's not like the 'peth has some pretty swagg Pink Floyd tunes either, man. Love me some 'peth.

I noticed some of you were discussing Åkerfeldt's (in a bad way) deteriorating growls. He said in a recent interview it was caused by the new in-ear monitors he's been using on stage. He heard his voice in an unfamiliar way with the speakers being so close to his ears, leading to him compensating with straining himself. That's why he's sounded so bad, and why he got a sore throat after some nights. Or at least that's what he says. And the new Opeth song is tits, if you hadn't noticed.

Yes we saw that interview.
Sure it could be his new earplugs, I hope it is, It could also be a load of bullshit since he has been said to have "best growl in the business" i can understand he doesnt really want to face the music himself.

I saw him live a few weeks ago and it didnt sound good then either.
I guess he needs to prove it.

Sure, could be bullshit. Seems plausible though, taking account that for most people good monitoring onstage is a necessity to be able to sing properly. Could be it'll take some time to get back to the good ol' ways, if he's been growling with the wrong technique for a couple of years it can be hard to shrug off. Or he could be just yanking our chain. And maybe his own, at that.