Opeth - "Death metal sound is over"

I'll take the notion of there being no DM vocals in the next album with a grain of salt. I was of the impression that The Lotus Eater was a song that very much marked the direction towards which the band was heading next (I remember Mike saying something along those lines but don't remember when/where). But perhaps a song like Throat of Winter (which is awesome) is more indicative of the band's sound for the next album at this point.

In any case, whatever they decide to do I am more than excited for this album and can't wait to get/hear it. But a complete absence of DM vocals would be unexpected.

im actually sort of looking forward to this album more now.
it's something new, and what's a band without change and diversity. i mean Ulver has changed their sound like 3-4 times now, and shadows of the sun (one of their more recent albums) was arguably the greatest effort they ever put forth, and was nothing like say....bergtatt.

on the other hand, agalloch just put out a new album and ...it has all the elements of basic agalloch, but is not nearly as unbelievable as say the mantle or ashes.

my point is that if opeth put out another standard opeth album, could anyone see it being as good as say still life, or blackwater park? or *insert favorite opeth album*. damnation is one of the best because its so different from all their other stuff while still being a great album on its own.
plus, no one has actually HEARD the new opeth, so we can't say it will be good or bad. im hoping and expecting it to be good, but it could also turn out shitty. either way its written and recorded, so now it's simply a waiting game

i think Mike lost his voice, as seen on the BB dvd. like Jonas lost on BMD

im actually sort of looking forward to this album more now.
it's something new, and what's a band without change and diversity. i mean Ulver has changed their sound like 3-4 times now, and shadows of the sun (one of their more recent albums) was arguably the greatest effort they ever put forth, and was nothing like say....bergtatt.

on the other hand, agalloch just put out a new album and ...it has all the elements of basic agalloch, but is not nearly as unbelievable as say the mantle or ashes.

my point is that if opeth put out another standard opeth album, could anyone see it being as good as say still life, or blackwater park? or *insert favorite opeth album*. damnation is one of the best because its so different from all their other stuff while still being a great album on its own.
plus, no one has actually HEARD the new opeth, so we can't say it will be good or bad. im hoping and expecting it to be good, but it could also turn out shitty. either way its written and recorded, so now it's simply a waiting game

yeah +1

this is exactly why i'm barely listening to metal lately, there are some good stuff, but nothing surprising

Found this posted over at the Opeth forum (which, for no reason in particular, I can't bring myself to join)...

Mike: Your vocal chords must really take a beating on tour, Mikael. Going from screaming to harmonizing melodically must take its toll on you. Do you have any tricks for keeping your vocals fresh when you tour heavily?

Mikael: No, not really. It does take its toll though. I’ve been having some problems or something with my screaming lately. That might be because I’m not as super-interested in it as I once was when I was younger.

Here's the full interview.

And here is the full answer for the lazys...

Mikael: No, not really. It does take its toll though. I’ve been having some problems or something with my screaming lately. That might be because I’m not as super-interested in it as I once was when I was younger. With that said, we did a show just the other day at the Bonnaroo Festival and it was pretty rocking, I think. It’s sounded pretty cool playing our set there. So I don’t think I try anything to keep my voice in shape, really. I’m more wary about not being able to deliver the clean vocals. I don’t want to lose that. I want to be able to hit all of the smooth notes, and I don’t want to lose the ability to do that harmonizing. The screaming thing I have been doing for such a long time now, I don’t think I can take it much further. I don’t really enjoy it as much as I used to, but that’s just me right now.

So basicly hes quitting screams cause hes afraid of damaging his cleans, understandable. Still sad. :(

roadrunner do tell bands what to do so they can sell more albums, deicide and fear factory confirmed it in a few interviews, same with pestilence long time ago.

well, mameli is also too full of himself and roadrunner fucked quite a bit with pestilence back in the day, if you're under contract then you're simply doomed to the label's will, can't remember where I saw that interview with deicide's drummer where he told many of those stuff :)

Once I read in an interview in which Mikael stated that he wont let their label to tell them what to do and he goes his own way.

I would actually prefer to blame RR, cause being RR's fault, once Opeth leaves the label, Mike would go back to growl properly... but it seems that's not the case :(

newsflash: 99% of labels will tell the band what to do, in some stuff

for instance:

6_logo.jpg

Of course. But are you seriously thinking RR would tell Opeth, who is seen as a DM band, to make a fuckin 70s prog record? Where is the logic in that? If anything it would be the other way around. I can imagine RR beeing pissed at them, or at least worried, for leaving their "working formula" behind.

So no, this is not RRs fault.