Opeth-Dream Theater, Where's the connection?

MetalDarkness

New Metal Member
Nov 12, 2007
Hey I'm anxiously waiting the next tour but I don't get the connection between Dream Theater and Opeth?? I just downloaded some samples from their myspace page and I think they suck. It's not dark, heavy or even what I consider good. Am I missing something here??

They're both some form of prog metal. That's just about it I'd say.

Plus, this'll be a good opportunity for Opeth's more aggressive fans to pummel all the DT nerds that masturbate to Petrucci's endless soloing. :)

(And before anyone starts, I'm just joking. I love Petrucci.)

There is a small link on the "Human Equation" album by Ayreon, James was trying to pronounce Mikael's name... was kinda funny.

And yea don't turn this into a DT vs Opeth topic!

Hey I'm anxiously waiting the next tour but I don't get the connection between Dream Theater and Opeth?? I just downloaded some samples from their myspace page and I think they suck. It's not dark, heavy or even what I consider good. Am I missing something here??

They're both nerdy prog metal with influences coming primarily from 70s dork rock. Whether one has quasi-intellectual lyrics about mental disorders while the other is more about "dark evul" stuff or one has constant wanking while the other has cookie monster vocals is besides the point. They're pretty closely related in the grand scheme of rock n roll.

Musically miles apart maybe......but both Mikes are at good terms....that is Akerfeldt and Portnoy ......i think that is the only connections.....then again u could say the same for the pairing of Opeth with devil driver...u know musically not even close ....but opeth duders get along well with the devil driver duders...sometimes thats all it takes to be good tour mates.......PEAC EOUT

If you're actually agreeing with him, you're such an ingratiating sycophant. You'd constantly lecture everyone on the board about how awesome dream theater was not 6 months ago, but I guess due to your pathetic need to fit in you now pretend that you think they suck and that you were "young and stupid" then. Just, goddammit, hold some of your own opinions for once. Just because most of the tr00 metaul dorks on this board hate dream theater doesn't mean you have to too. The bashing is and always has been incredibly boring, and coming from people who also listen to unbelievably nerdy prog metal it's kind of funny.

If you're actually agreeing with him, you're such an ingratiating sycophant. You'd constantly lecture everyone on the board about how awesome dream theater was not 6 months ago, but I guess due to your pathetic need to fit in you now pretend that you think they suck and that you were "young and stupid" then. Just, goddammit, hold some of your own opinions for once. Just because most of the tr00 metaul dorks on this board hate dream theater doesn't mean you have to too. The bashing is and always has been incredibly boring, and coming from people who also listen to unbelievably nerdy prog metal it's kind of funny.
What the hell? Where have you been? I started disliking DT for a reason, not because the people on this forum convinced me to dislike them. I never listened to any "nerdy prog metal" other than DT or Symphony X, neither of which I like now. You need to stop being a prick and stop posting long ass responses to such ignorable things. Fuck. If you really think that I'm "trying to fit in", you're completely retarded, because the last thing I want to do is fit in with people on the Opeth forum. Opinions change over time, and what the hell is the problem that mine did too? Also, do I need to mention that I still like their first 4 albums? I just now understand why people were always bashing them because I got out of that retarded mindset. I started arguments just for the sake of starting arguments, which I really see no point in now because they never lead anywhere.

keep an open mind

Opeth is also nerdy prog metal, as much as it pains some to admit. That was my point there. A metal concept album about being a medieval badass who fights against the evil monks is as nerdy as fuck, to say nothing of MAYH's story. I love them, but they're gigantic dorks almost on the level of dream theater.

My problem isn't that you stopped liking dream theater, it's that you've always been an incredibly obnoxious poster who would squeal and screech when everyone constantly called you a moron for your non-stop "petrucci is god" posts, until you started writing "dream theater sucks lol" all the time, which you apparently don't really even mean since you still like a bunch of their stuff, but just like to say to get slaps on the back. It reeks of trying to fit in and for some reason it just drives me nuts in your case. You've just always struck me as someone desperately insecure with everything they say who tries to cover it up by having squealy rage overreactions to everything, and I just feel bad for you. GROW SOME NUTS MAN. I predict the response to this will include an "LOL IT IS FUNNY READING THIS COMING FROM YOU LOL HA" which will be undermined by the fact that I am right and you would be wrong. :Smokin:

In a way it´s smarter to tour with a band like DT for Opeth and vice versa than,say,DT touring with Symphony X which probably has the same fanbase as DT to begin with. This way both Opeth and DT can gain some of the other bands fans,that maybe wouldn´t have gotten into one of these bands otherwise.