Opeth-Dream Theater, Where's the connection?

My problem isn't that you stopped liking dream theater, it's that you've always been an incredibly obnoxious poster who would squeal and screech when everyone constantly called you a moron for your non-stop "petrucci is god" posts, until you started writing "dream theater sucks lol" all the time, which you apparently don't really even mean since you still like a bunch of their stuff, but just like to say to get slaps on the back. It reeks of trying to fit in and for some reason it just drives me nuts in your case. You've just always struck me as someone desperately insecure with everything they say who tries to cover it up by having squealy rage overreactions to everything, and I just feel bad for you. GROW SOME NUTS MAN. I predict the response to this will include an "LOL IT IS FUNNY READING THIS COMING FROM YOU LOL HA" which will be undermined by the fact that I am right and you would be wrong. :Smokin:
Okay, maybe I should rephrase what I said. I think Later DT sucks, but I don't want to type that out, because who gives a shit? Seriously, you complain about everything when it really doesn't matter. The "grow some nuts man" response sounds hilarious, considering you're trying to tell me to think differently, which is what I used to do and got into constant internet arguments that were completely stupid. You know what? Your suggestion sucks. I don't come to this forum to start arguments; I come here to check out news on bands and comment on them if the topic interests me enough. Like I said, I don't know where you've been, because I've barely complained or have been "obnoxious" about anything for a long time, until now with your constant stream of enourmous posts that can be shrunken down into something much easier to read without having to go through a mountain of textual diarrhea.

a lot more. i don't think akercocke and muse would make a very good tour, do you?

About as good as a Meshuggah/Tool tour.

But honestly, the whole point of tours is to reach out to a big a fanbase as possible - is it that unclear why you have 2 bands that are different instead of the same?

If you're actually agreeing with him, you're such an ingratiating sycophant. You'd constantly lecture everyone on the board about how awesome dream theater was not 6 months ago, but I guess due to your pathetic need to fit in you now pretend that you think they suck and that you were "young and stupid" then. Just, goddammit, hold some of your own opinions for once. Just because most of the tr00 metaul dorks on this board hate dream theater doesn't mean you have to too. The bashing is and always has been incredibly boring, and coming from people who also listen to unbelievably nerdy prog metal it's kind of funny.

Nearly everyone praises Dream Theater at one time or another, and it's very good he grew out of them. Don't try and hold him back.

The point is he didn't really, not to mention there's not really anything that makes Opeth inherently superior. Most everyone on this board thinks dream theater is shittier, most everyone on the dream theater board thinks opeth is shittier, and the average intelligence of the board members sure seems equivalent, though maybe they're slightly more intelligent there. There's tons of overlap between fan bases. Both bands play dork metal, just one is mainly appreciated by scuzzy guys with long hair who fancy themselves lords of the darkness and the other is by scuzzy nerds with long hair who play too much everquest. The constant bitching about dream theater just seems completely needless, rghhhh. If you don't like them just stfu and be glad they're not touring with devil driver again. :p I wouldn't bother going to see this tour if opeth weren't coheadlining it, that's for damn sure, but dream theater is far more entertaining live than many of the other bands opeth has toured the US with, and it's annoying that every page about the tour is filled with 300 obnoxious morons who think they're badass typing "dream theater is shit dream theater is gay LOL." I personally want jordan rudess to DIAF and think his keyboard playing is one of the most annoying things in all of metal but I don't think it warrants screaming OMG OPETH SHOULD BE HEADLINING THIS TOUR BECAUSE I LIKE THEM MORE DREAM THEATER IS THE GREAT EVIL WAHHHH

Opeth makes Dream Theater look bad. There are so many better bands to tour with.

Dream Theater is considerably more popular than them, and Dream Theater fans are a lot more likely than most bands to have fans that could become fans of Opeth upon hearing them. Seems like about the best band they could be touring with for their own future to me, besides MAYBE like...Tool. There are bands that are closer to them in style and that I'd rather hear, but none that would give as much potential for an expanded fanbase. And regardless of what some dicks on this board might say about "wtf more fans is bad more people liking them would suck espeically if they like dream theater wtf," i'm pretty sure that they'd be more than happy to pick up thousands more fans by touring with a band that might piss off the tr00 kvlt types.

They both represent the different edges of prog metal and are both pioneers in a way. Prog's a large genre, they're both excellent in their own way.

I like how being able to defend and define your opinion apparently translates as "forcing it on everyone else." Maybe I should make snarky one sentence posts with no substance like everyone else, that would be much more intelligent and contribute more to discussion.

DREAM THEATER SUX THEY SHOULDN'T TOUR WITH OPETH.

no one's allowed an opinion besides wankerness. all hail wankerness.

not.

Yes, this was an amazing comeback to me making a valid response to your post. If you don't have any actual substance to your argument, don't get mad when someone else does. I'm interested in your thoughts on who would be better for them to tour with and why, which is why I gave my reasons for thinking Dream Theater would be great for them to tour with, but instead of that you give me this bullshit.

i think we need to return to the original topic on how Dream Theater sucks.

A metal concept album about being a medieval badass who fights against the evil monks is as nerdy as fuck

Hahaha, what an interpretation. But I know, from all your tabs, that you are familiar with the music of opeth and the harmonies and arrangements within it. You cannot honestly tell me its very similiar to the way dream theater present their material. Dream Theater is shiny and full of pomp and almost Mariah Carrey / Enrique Iglesias levels of corny arrangements (through her eyes anyone?) while opeth tend to present their ideas in a slightly more derranged fashion, even on damnation. Closure and Overture 1928 might share the same chords with the D -5 thingie, but they still sound like two different worlds.