Opeth-Dream Theater, Where's the connection?

Hahaha, what an interpretation. But I know, from all your tabs, that you are familiar with the music of opeth and the harmonies and arrangements within it. You cannot honestly tell me its very similiar to the way dream theater present their material. Dream Theater is shiny and full of pomp and almost Mariah Carrey / Enrique Iglesias levels of corny arrangements (through her eyes anyone?) while opeth tend to present their ideas in a slightly more derranged fashion, even on damnation. Closure and Overture 1928 might share the same chords with the D -5 thingie, but they still sound like two different worlds.

Like, I can differentiate between the two cause I"m an expert on nerdyass metal, but to most people who listen to other genres the only differences they're going to really notice between opeth's approach and DT's approach are the vocals, # of notes, and MAYBE a tonal difference with Opeth being much darker. I consider Opeth vastly superior to Dream THeater, but I don't try and pretend they're objectively better or anything, they don't really have anything solid to say "this is why they're better than Dream Theater." They're both pretty cheesy stuff and cringed at by most who don't listen to metal. I love Opeth's songs, but it doesn't change the fact that many of them are pretty much just riff collages, while many of Dream Theater's are pretty much just wank collages. Also, they're still both based on 70s prog, and they're both (generally speaking) sexual kryptonite. This hyper-elitism is what frustrates me, not a preference for one or the other.

Early DT actually influenced Mike, though it's not often stated in interviews nor is it part of Opeth's music.

Like, I can differentiate between the two cause I"m an expert on nerdyass metal, but to most people who listen to other genres the only differences they're going to really notice between opeth's approach and DT's approach are the vocals, # of notes, and MAYBE a tonal difference with Opeth being much darker. I consider Opeth vastly superior to Dream THeater, but I don't try and pretend they're objectively better or anything, they don't really have anything solid to say "this is why they're better than Dream Theater." They're both pretty cheesy stuff and cringed at by most who don't listen to metal. I love Opeth's songs, but it doesn't change the fact that many of them are pretty much just riff collages, while many of Dream Theater's are pretty much just wank collages. Also, they're still both based on 70s prog, and they're both (generally speaking) sexual kryptonite. This hyper-elitism is what frustrates me, not a preference for one or the other.

Sounds resonable. I guess I always pre-asumed Opeth was neerd-stuff and not really a suitable band for hyper-elitism. And of course no band kan be objectively better to any other band. Speaking in terms of sexual kryptonite I think DT seems a lot more kryptonitic. I've played Opeth to a number of girls, including un-metal ones, I think they definately have a sexier vibe to their arrangements. Mellotrons vs 80s lead synth (I personally happen to love 80s leadsynth, but wtf, no good deal in the bedroom), grooving rhythms vs stiff techness (slight overstatement though, mostly about the drumproduction I guess), and so on. I guess growls are the problem though, but they tend to oversee that when the timing is right.

both bands are progressive metal. many DT fans love other forms of progressive music and are general open minded when it comes to trying out other prog. portnoy is great at choosing other bands that DT fans would enjoy. can't say the same for opeth fans, since many of them are reclusive fucks who can't listen to anything that isn't dark and atmospheric (or tool, seriously, what's with the tool fascination? fuck tool), but anyways, fuck the opeth fans, it's not their fucking tour. bitch on the forums when opeth is headlining and mikael chooses some bands you don't like to open up.

oh wait, you guys probably wouldn't bitch because mikael would pick bands that he thinks his fans would enjoy.
this forum is a breeding ground for dipshittery, miss the boards from back in the day
This hyper-elitism is what frustrates me, not a preference for one or the other.
exactly. saying you like opeth and don't like dream theater is different from calling DT complete shit and terrible musicians. you couldn't be farther from the truth.

Dream Theater is considerably more popular than them, and Dream Theater fans are a lot more likely than most bands to have fans that could become fans of Opeth upon hearing them. Seems like about the best band they could be touring with for their own future to me, besides MAYBE like...Tool. There are bands that are closer to them in style and that I'd rather hear, but none that would give as much potential for an expanded fanbase. And regardless of what some dicks on this board might say about "wtf more fans is bad more people liking them would suck espeically if they like dream theater wtf," i'm pretty sure that they'd be more than happy to pick up thousands more fans by touring with a band that might piss off the tr00 kvlt types.

holy shit, some sense on these boards, not all hope is lost

Opeth is also nerdy prog metal, as much as it pains some to admit. That was my point there. A metal concept album about being a medieval badass who fights against the evil monks is as nerdy as fuck, to say nothing of MAYH's story. I love them, but they're gigantic dorks almost on the level of dream theater.

My problem isn't that you stopped liking dream theater, it's that you've always been an incredibly obnoxious poster who would squeal and screech when everyone constantly called you a moron for your non-stop "petrucci is god" posts, until you started writing "dream theater sucks lol" all the time, which you apparently don't really even mean since you still like a bunch of their stuff, but just like to say to get slaps on the back. It reeks of trying to fit in and for some reason it just drives me nuts in your case. You've just always struck me as someone desperately insecure with everything they say who tries to cover it up by having squealy rage overreactions to everything, and I just feel bad for you. GROW SOME NUTS MAN. I predict the response to this will include an "LOL IT IS FUNNY READING THIS COMING FROM YOU LOL HA" which will be undermined by the fact that I am right and you would be wrong. :Smokin:
i noticed this too. he's trying too hard to distance himself from his "DT past" :rolleyes:

i'll come and personally bitchslap any dork who starts another dream theater thread again...shit, i've been on internet forums for more than 6 years and yet every 4-5 months i find myself in a dream theter sux/rulz thread. we need to find other things to talk about ffs!!

i'll come and personally bitchslap any dork who starts another dream theater thread again...shit, i've been on internet forums for more than 6 years and yet every 4-5 months i find myself in a dream theter sux/rulz thread. we need to find other things to talk about ffs!!

u tell 'em like it is Don...!!!!....I concur...!!!!....PEAC EOUT

Yes, this was an amazing comeback to me making a valid response to your post. If you don't have any actual substance to your argument, don't get mad when someone else does. I'm interested in your thoughts on who would be better for them to tour with and why, which is why I gave my reasons for thinking Dream Theater would be great for them to tour with, but instead of that you give me this bullshit.

The only bullshit around here is the suggestion that a band like Opeth tour with a band so derivative of themselves that even their re-hashes sound more identical each time. Their formula and the crowd they attract are so different from Opeth. Opeth isn't exactly original either, but by comparison to Dream Theater, please... Dream Theater hasn't put out a relevant album in over five years.

a lot more. i don't think akercocke and muse would make a very good tour, do you?

I like both those bands, so it would be a great tour for me at least.

Btw, Dream Theater + Opeth = Yay for me. Love them both, love DT's new album, so it's all good for me. Everyone seems to hate LaBrae's vocals, but I like them.... Oh well, my opinion > everyone else's.

The only bullshit around here is the suggestion that a band like Opeth tour with a band so derivative of themselves that even their re-hashes sound more identical each time. Opeth isn't exactly original either, but by comparison to Dream Theater, please... Dream Theater hasn't put out a relevant album in over five years.

A ton of people say the same about opeth (with the exception of damnation)... :p

The crowds are somewhat different I suppose, dream theaters' has more weenies and opeth's tends to have more shitty little kids with spiked necklaces (around here anyway), but I still think that there are a fair amount of prog dorks that could get into opeth. Especially since mike portnoy won't stfu about how awesome they are.

Because Mike Portnoy finally discovered an actual Progressive band. Or at least, one that has been at times progressive in ways Dream Theater only was in the early 90s. They're just a bad match. Besides, consider how much hatred DT gets on this, Opeth's forum.

OMG, all hail Opeth fans hatred towards DT unoriginal and bland type of prog metal !!!

Can't we all live happily ever after like a big prog metal family ?

:danceboy:

Because Mike Portnoy finally discovered an actual Progressive band. Or at least, one that has been at times progressive in ways Dream Theater only was in the early 90s. They're just a bad match. Besides, consider how much hatred DT gets on this, Opeth's forum.

Don`t know much about DT there, eh? :p

Portnoy has been a fan for years now, I guess since BWP. And all the Opeth albums starting with BWP have been at his annual top 10 lists, ranked at 1st.

DT and Opeth are a VERY good match. Most of the DT fans are potential Opeth fans. Because Opeth is the singlemost discussed band at different DT boards already, followed by PT and PoS.

There isnt much hatred at this forum towards DT at all. Its just the same 30 people expressing their opinions over and over again. How many people will attend this tour? 150 000? Or more. Just guessing. Things arent what they seem.