Opeth DVD!

Hey dude, we try to not be that type of forum. Many of us disagree highly about many bands, but generally it's not a "yuo dont lyke them!? U R teh gay!!!111" Notice I said generally, as it does occasionally occur. ;)

You bring up a good point about the look in the mirror bit, but still, A LOT of us have heard some really foolish stuff about Opeth from fanboys, especially around these parts (UM.com). Besides, if you look at our Opeth love / hate thread, you'll see quite a few of us really love the band (or at least parts of them), including myself. :D

EDIT: You posted in that thread several times, which means you already saw it, nevermind. Anyhow, the short and skinny of it is that a lot of Opeth fanboys say "Opeth is the best band ever, if you don't agree, you are stupid." I've met a few in person and its hard to even have a musical conversation with them because anything not involving Opeth is immediately looked down upon. That's pretty foolish.

NAD said:
Hey dude, we try to not be that type of forum. Many of us disagree highly about many bands, but generally it's not a "yuo dont lyke them!? U R teh gay!!!111" Notice I said generally, as it does occasionally occur. ;)

You bring up a good point about the look in the mirror bit, but still, A LOT of us have heard some really foolish stuff about Opeth from fanboys, especially around these parts (UM.com). Besides, if you look at our Opeth love / hate thread, you'll see quite a few of us really love the band (or at least parts of them), including myself. :D

EDIT: You posted in that thread several times, which means you already saw it, nevermind. Anyhow, the short and skinny of it is that a lot of Opeth fanboys say "Opeth is the best band ever, if you don't agree, you are stupid." I've met a few in person and its hard to even have a musical conversation with them because anything not involving Opeth is immediately looked down upon. That's pretty foolish.

That is why I do my posting here at Royal Carnage. I generally feel comfortable voicing my opinion here and that's certainly a good thing. The only thing that really irritates me about many of the comments I see about Opeth around here is that I get thrown in with a group of people that I have almost nothing in common with simply because I love Opeth. The last couple comments just hit a nerve and pissed me off, probably unintentionally on the poster's part, but I generally won't sit back and say nothing, its not my style. Overall, I know Royal Carnage is a place for both intelligent, and a lot of the time, humorous conversation, but the generalizations put on Opeth fans will always irritate me regardless.

HarmonyDies.... said:
That's really sad. They aren't that good
See.... again, here's the thing, I've said it before and I'll say it again - if this is how you feel, no problem, music is 100% subjective, and whatever grabs you grabs you. But when you make a pompous statement like this it just makes you look foolish. You say it as if it were a generally accepted fact or something, and that someone else is beneath you if they disagree. THAT's what bothers me, not the opinion itself. It's so damn condescending.

"I don't like them". "To me, they suck". "Wow, I'm surprised you have been so influenced personally by these guys because I feel the complete opposite way". "I think they're the worst band ever and should be Yucca Flatzed off the face of the Earth."

See, those are all valid opinions. Thumbing your nose at someone because they don't feel the way you do is not valid.

Yep, that's really sad indeed.

I think its obvious from my posts here and elsewhere that I have tremendous appreciation for Opeth, but I agree that the discussion on their forum can get stupid and needlessly confrontational...and this forum is one of the few places left on UM to discuss metal intelligently.