Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Jan 10, 2004
A masterpiece. My fave tracks are actually the two most mellow songs, namely "Atonement" and "Hours of wealth". Was listening to it last night in the dark with headphones, slightly tipsy, and I'm not ashamed to admit that Mikaels vocals on "Hours of wealth" literally made me cry. BEAU_TI_FUL!
Highly recommended. :worship:

I'm listening to this album day and night ever since someone leaked the album to the net at the beginning of august,and I'm still not tired of it. It's a shame though that because of the leak they closed the opeth forum here at ultimatemetal.

P.s
Atonement is influenced heavily by The Beatles
just listen to the last song on Revolver- "tomorrow never knows" petty much the same beat and all those wierd sounds effects.
The chemical brothers used the same beat in "setting sun" but "Atonement" sounds so much better.
My personal favorite is Reverie/Harlequin Forest

Yes I agree !!! Best album of the year in my opinion (last year it was Mabool !!)

I was a little tired of Opeth after Damnation/Deliverance (because of too much listening) and didn't care much about this new release.... But it's awesome.

I love the oriental feeling of Atonement, the beautiful clean vocals, the acoustic parts, the drums (hope Mr Lopez will be fine for the European tour), etc

I was highly skeptical after the very boring Deliverance...I loved damnation but Deliverance was by far the crappiest album they've ever made, however Ghost Reveries is freaking amazing - Like the poster above, i downloaded it when it was leaked and i still cannot stop listening to this almost constantly. I think the best song is Reveries/Harlequin Forest, it just so fresh for opeth although not a complete departure from their sound (This goes for the whole album as well) It's probably the best album released in '05, so far anyhow (still waiting for word on the new katatonia)

I need to listen to it more to form a more solid opinion. So far, I find it highly uninspired and cliche. It's like a parody of Opeth. They are my favorite band, but this album has been a disappointment so far.

I agree with BlackwaterNymph. At last for me, all these great emotional melodies and moments from the earliere albums are gone on G.R., it's much too technical, there's less feeling in it. Of course, I will give the album a second, a third and a fourth chance, but, well, IMO it can never reach the masterpieces like Blackwater Park, Still Life or My arms, your hearse.
But let's wait and see how the new songs sound live.

I love it!!! It did take me quite a few listens to get into it properly i guess...but now im so excited about seeing them next thursday :D

its a great album, loved it from the beggining, i have a hard to choice whos better, Ghost Reveries, or Still Life. im vouching for Ghost, cause it came out really close to my bday :p
my favs are Ghost of Perdition, Baying of the Hounds and Isolation Years.
still i think there is no greater masterpiece than Mabool!

I'm liking it a lot after a few listens, not sure where it will rank for me. Unfortunately, I don't think it will reach "Morningrise" or "Blackwater Park" status for me...but some good stuff nonetheless.

I also notice a bit more of a mechanical feel to the music, it's not too bad as long as they don't go further in that direction...Opeth is all about feeling.

I'm hoping Lopez is better too, I read that he was...but no word on when he'll return with the band. I'm hoping by Oct. 9th when they play here in Phoenix.

Also for someone that mentioned Katatonia, I just read they're working hard on a new album...but likely won't be out till early next year.

Seth

I'm having trouble getting into it. I like it, but still don't make it to my top list of albums of the year. In that list there is Nevermore, Antimatter, Kreator and Dark Tranquillity.

Hope it gets better with more spins.

A friend is also having a hard time getting his cd delivered from amazon. He ordered it the day it went out and is still waiting for it.

thjasi said:
Was at the gig in Essen yesterday and The baying of the hounds is an awseome opener :headbang:
Oh, you lucky, lucky person! Obviously a headliner gig at the Zeche Carl - I know this venue well as I used to live near Düsseldorf until 1994 - is way cooler than the performance I saw on the main stage at the Summer Breeze, where I didn't even make it near the front. So I have to wait until December, when Opeth will be coming to Stuttgart. Ah well, wie heißt es so schön, "Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude." ;)
I trust you already have your ticket for Orphaned Land's gig in Essen?

sister ophelia said:
Ah well, wie heißt es so schön, "Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude." ;)
I trust you already have your ticket for Orphaned Land's gig in Essen?

Old phrase but right, it's definitely worth the wait. I'll be at the Hanau gig in December.
Opeth have developed into one of the best live bands...

Klar, I already have my ticket for the OL gig - legal holiday that day which means no work - just some fu**in good music...I'm eager to see if OL can top Opeth s performance :D

thjasi said:
I'll be at the Hanau gig in December.
That's the gig that was supposed to be happening at the Live Arena in Münster-Breitefeld, right? What a pity they closed that venue down...
Very cool venue, the Halle 2, in case you haven't been there before. Went all the way up to Hanau last week to see Unleashed and Pungent Stench, two of my fave (live) bands (headliner was Nile btw)
thjasi said:
I'm eager to see if OL can top Opeth s performance :D
Well, I can assure you, that Orphaned Land will most definitely be able to top Opeth' performance... :headbang:

sister ophelia said:
That's the gig that was supposed to be happening at the Live Arena in Münster-Breitefeld, right? What a pity they closed that venue down...
Very cool venue, the Halle 2, in case you haven't been there before. Went all the way up to Hanau last week to see Unleashed and Pungent Stench, two of my fave (live) bands (headliner was Nile btw)
sister Ophelia said:
Yeah, always annoying when they close a good venue even though I was there only one or two times - but around here (Ruhr valley) we have enough good venues (you're certainly aware of that ;) )

Never been to Hanau but good to hear that the Halle 2 is a cool venue ( btw did Unleashed play Breaking the law :headbang: )

Do Opeth play in "Die Röhre" when they come to Stuttgart in December???
I remember seeing End of green there a few years ago - it's a pretty small venue as far as I can remember, right?

I'm not aware how many fellow Opeth fans you have down there but you better get your Opeth tickets as early as possible :D