Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Liquid Tension said:
It's also comical to read people making claims that discs are "overhyped or overrated"... It's all just opinions nothing to get all bent out of shape about...
I really hate this mentality, it's musical communism, the merit of a cd is not always subjective, regardless of what anyone said, the listener either has bad taste in music or is inexperienced in the genre.

Liquid Tension said:
I took it that the listener would like it more and more as time goes on through more listens. This has happened for me on almost every disc that I now claim to be great. The opposite also happens that I was really floored after the first few listens only to feel that it's an average disc over time.
According to this logic, any CD could potentially be great provided you listen to it enough.

ænimated said:
I really hate this mentality, it's musical communism, the merit of a cd is not always subjective, regardless of what anyone said, the listener either has bad taste in music or is inexperienced in the genre.

According to this logic, any CD could potentially be great provided you listen to it enough.

Thanks for your response it was very entertaining and using basic common logic proved to be somewhat incorrect....

"bad taste" or "inexperience" = priceless

Also, what "genre" would you place Opeth in?

Liquid Tension said:
Thanks for your response it was very entertaining and using basic common logic proved to be somewhat incorrect....

"bad taste" or "inexperience" = priceless

Also, what "genre" would you place Opeth in?
Opeth is hard to place in a singular genre....I always described them as melodic progressive death. :p

*yawn* Boring...

It won't be long until Opeth start wearing pig skin masks.

It's absolutely true, they have sacrificed their talent to be mainstream, exactly what I feared, this album is a far cry from their earlier albums and a lowering of their standards. This is not what expected from Opeth I expected to hear something new, more intruiging distortions and so on. What we got with GR is is dumbed down regressed hack. I was thuroughly disapointed in Opeth after hearing this album, they are now dead to me...

All else failed said:
Opeth is hard to place in a singular genre....I always described them as melodic progressive death. :p

I agree that it's very hard to place them. That was why I asked this person since he's the self proclaimed expert on the subject. As you can see by his response he doesn't have a clue....

Your discription is what I would call them and given that paramenter I feel that this disc fits very well in there and is worthy of any "hype" that it might get.

Valtiel said:
It's absolutely true, they have sacrificed their talent to be mainstream, exactly what I feared, this album is a far cry from their earlier albums and a lowering of their standards. This is not what expected from Opeth I expected to hear something new, more intruiging distortions and so on. What we got with GR is is dumbed down regressed hack. I was thuroughly disapointed in Opeth after hearing this album, they are now dead to me...
Well, they are not DEAD to me now, but I hope they learn from their mistakes for the next album.

All else failed said:
Well, they are not DEAD to me now, but I hope they learn from their mistakes for the next album.

Well their not going to die I don't think, since most of the fans seem blinded by their fandom to see this album for what it really is, I'm only hoping next time they'll do the black metal done by their sound. Maybe n I hope to much they may decide the money is worth more then the music...

Samael92DE said:
Well their not going to die I don't think, since most of the fans seem blinded by their fandom to see this album for what it really is, I'm only hoping next time they'll do the black metal done by their sound. Maybe n I hope to much they may decide the money is worth more then the music...

huh?

"What it really is"...You care to elaborate?

Why do you hope "they may decide the money is worth more then the music"? I sure hope that Opeth don't!

It would be nice if they could make a disc that I love all the songs which for me hasn't happened since Still Life!

Liquid Tension said:
huh?

"What it really is"...You care to elaborate?

Why do you hope "they may decide the money is worth more then the music"? I sure hope that Opeth don't!

It would be nice if they could make a disc that I love all the songs which for me hasn't happened since Still Life!

Down graded crap, there are non of the complex elements in it that Opeth are famous for, they have set the their standards down to become popular...

Wake up they already have...

Samael92DE said:
Down graded crap, there are non of the complex elements in it that Opeth are famous for, they have set the their standards down to become popular...

Thanks for the reply and as for telling me to "wake up" it would seem that you have trouble reading since my response clearly states that I'm wide awake and in tune to what their past few discs are all about... You really aren't claiming that ALL of their more recent songs are lacking in complex elements now are you...

Smarten up the rest of us have.....

ænimated said:

Who is to say you dont have bad taste in music? Everyone likes their own thing. No one really has bad taste in music, even if they like something that you completly hate.

And 'inexperienced in the genre' is another stupid, pathetic statement. Such suggests that a release must fit to a specific genre...which is just upsetting to see said at all.

Samael92DE said:

The form of complexity that Opeth has always offered had never been from straight up technicallity in playing their instruments, but in song writing and stucture. The only song on GR that lacks such is The Grand Conjuration. When are people going to understand that being complex, and progressive has LITTLE to do with the actual playing...and ALOT to do with the writing. They offer something new on this album, like they have on every other one they have released. That by itself is a complex, progressive task to of completed.

PhlegethonVeins said:
And 'inexperienced in the genre' is another stupid, pathetic statement. Such suggests that a release must fit to a specific genre...which is just upsetting to see said at all.
Why is it then, most people who are really into metal don't listen to Opeth much, yet those who are new to metal enjoy it? Opeth is a gateway to better things, that is all.

Why is it then, most people who are really into metal don't listen to Opeth much, yet those who are new to metal enjoy it? Opeth is a gateway to better things, that is all.

Its a good point you make there aenimated but I am really into metal and Opeth is pretty much my favourite band. I think a lot of metal heads are starting to drop them because they have just become more popular and have signed to a gay label. So what? They haven't fucked up musically to me and when they do, I'll keep all posted.

And yes, why not Opeth be a gateway to everything else and perhaps better things? What a start for someone just getting into metal. Quite frankly, you couldn't pick a better band to start off with when getting into the metal scene. If you can appreciate Opeth, it is just as likely that you will appreciate many different forms of metal and music for that matter.

I would rather a new metal head start off with Opeth rather than Slipknot.

Ikil

Great album. Bought it without hearing much and was floored.

Harlequin Forest is outstanding.

ænimated said:

That is a terrible concept with music. If you liked something enough for it to get you into a genre, then you dont drop it once you get further in. I know alot of people who are very much so into metal who love opeth. That includes me. Really...for the most part the people that dont like Opeth but are really into metal are people who typically dont like long songs...the mixing of light and heavy, or they are the ever so annoying, dumbass elitist (which are all to common in my beloved genre of metal). You really didnt hear this people ripping on Opeth untill Blackwater Park came around and they started to become more widely know. They are pathetic, and annoy me. Note im not throwing everyone who doesnt like Opeth into that, BUT sadly the majority of the people who I have met who have the anti Opeth attitude do fit under the elitist fag catagory.