Opeth in Adelaide

Kranholio

Alone in the Superunknown
Dec 12, 2004
South Australia
My God, what an amazing show. Let me start of saying I spent the better part of 10-11 hours in this area:

DSC02493.jpg

Until the greatness arrived:

DSC02495.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

They were the nicest fucking band I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. They signed everything and made sure everyone had pics, just pure greatness.

The show was absolutely phenomenal. An Symphonic Doom metal band named Virgin Black opened, and they were excellent. But no match to the mighty Opeth, who slayed with an amazing setlist:

They went straight into Heir Apparent in the beginning, that large ominous chord ringing out the Thebarton Theater before carrying into the hugely death metal influenced Master's Apprentices.

They then carried through some of the best songs from their catalogue, including Serenity Painted Death, To Rid the Disease, Night and the Silent Water, Bleak, and ending the set with the epic Demon of the Fall before coming out for an encore with The Drapery Falls.

All in all, easily the best gig I've been to (it was better then their 2006 gig, which was still awesome) and I'm glad to be able to say I've fucking met one of my favourite bands, whose logo adorns my right arm :)

Cheers.

Great work mate. Yep it was an awesome gig and I thought it was also better than the 06 show. Only thing I thought strange was the crowd seemed smaller than their last Thebbie visit from memory(?)

That's awesome! I wish I lined up earlier. It looked like you had fun. :]

Man Opeth had an excellent set-list. I'm heaps happy that they played Baying of the Hounds, Bleak and To Rid the Disease. : D

*chants* ... Ten more songs! :p

[And lulz, I remember seeing you at the Barrier.]

per is the most badass member of opeth, and he looks like me

except for the beard and hair

You mean you were front centre until you got pulled out after two songs :p

...that's 5.5hrs per song :kickass:

It was like 6 songs you dirty bastard :p and I only did it to get water for other people cos they were fucking dying in there :p

And yes, Axe is pretty tall. Nice guy though.

thats pretty badass of you to get water for people that are dehydrating, i always carry around a 1.5L bottle everywhere i go

"And yes, Axe is pretty tall. Nice guy though." so you mean to say that you were suprised that he was a nice guy because he was tall? because all tall people are cunts? hahah im just kidding

amazing night. my girlfriend and i flew over from melbourne coz we missed out on tickets there, and it was absoloutely worth it. great setlist. Serenity was a highlight in a brilliant performance.

and thanks to the guys who picked me up after i fell in the mosh. i was fearing for my life, and your assistance was greatly appreciated.

and a very special thanks to dr.tim who put me in a great mood and made it a very memorable night!

My boyfriend and I also flew to Adelaide from Melbourne as we missed out on tickets. The show overall, set list and Mikael's banter were all great. Loved when he bagged Axe. Serenity was the highlight for me also, although I was hoping to hear Blackwater Park, alas. I made a few days short holiday of my stay and was immensely bored, and that Dr Tim's.. what the fuck were they thinking? Dr Cat Piss more like it. I'm glad the setlist was the same as Melbourne and everywhere else it seems. I only missed out on the Melbourne atmosphere.. it was a shame they only played one show. Hopefully they play two again next time and go back to the Forum.

Nice pictures, Kranholio. If I were smarter I'd have done the same thing, hanging out with a brick wall for 10 hours actually looks far more interesting than what I ended up doing during my stay, haha. If I ever head back that way I'll need to be filled in on Adelaide's hidden gems, surely there are some. I got a cab from Enigma to the hotel on the Thursday night and the fare must have been $4.. I felt bad for the shitty fee so I asked for a tour around the CBD and all it has to offer. I got back to the hotel and paid my $13 fare.. :lol:

thats pretty badass of you to get water for people that are dehydrating, i always carry around a 1.5L bottle everywhere i go

"And yes, Axe is pretty tall. Nice guy though." so you mean to say that you were suprised that he was a nice guy because he was tall? because all tall people are cunts? hahah im just kidding

Lol nah I thought he'd be nice, he comes off as an odd fellow on the Watershed DVD but he's pretty nice.

Mike loved my Bloodbath shirt, probably cos it has his face on the back :p