Opeth in Saskatoon and link to cover

bengal21

New Metal Member
Sep 13, 2008
Saskatoon, Canada
Well, As an old Rush & Black sabbath fan my son introduced me to Opeth and I must say I am quite impressed with these guys and am absollutely pumped to seeing them live here in Saskatoon on Sept 30th, 2008.
Does anyone know the setlist for this tour or does it change.

BTW...here is a link to my son playing an Opeth - The Leper Affinity cover.
I thought it was great but he didnt want me to post it but hey, thats what dad's do.

Please leave a comment if you like it

Last edited by a moderator:
what the hell man, your son didnt want you to post it but you did anyway?

sounds pretty good but i didnt watch much because im not interested in electric guitar

Thanks all. I certainly will tell him. He has only been playing 3 yrs and is a huge Opeth fan.

Being an old fart, I am Still trying to get used to the death growl. Not to fond of it but I sure respect this band as musicians.
Anyone know some of Opeth's influence? Can't put my finger on it but I keep being slightly reminded of Black Sabbath and of all thing Deep purple and Ian Gillan. Am I out to lunch here.

Lol, let's not start this all over again.

Anyway, Opeth's influence are quite varied. As Mike states on his myspace:

"Shit...loads! The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Kent, Dio, Scorpions, Jan Johansson, Accept, Kiss, Brian Auger, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Billy Cobham, Bo Hansson, Life, The Zombies, Bobak Jons &; Malone, Jackson C Frank, Fläsket brinner, BKO, Circus 2000, Mark Hollis &; Talk talk, Black widow, The Knife (Karin Dreijer Andersson), Bathory, Mars volta, Pink floyd, Metallica, Bobak, Jons &; Malone, Possessed, Pretty things, Camel, Doris Svensson, Rainbow band, Lucifer's friend, Porcupine tree, Morbid Angel, Colosseum, Nucleus, Joni Mitchell, Can, Nick Drake, Culpeper's orchard, Spring, Seal, Museo Rosenbach, Pussy, Queen, Tea party, Jeff Buckley, Budgie, Salamander, COB, Manowar, Scott Walker, David Sylvian, SBB, Celtic Frost, Popol vuh, Focus, Heart, Stina Nordenstam, Skid row, King Crimson, Monica Zetterlund, Master's apprentices, Blue phantom, These trails, Spiritual beggars, Mefisto, The Electric Prunes, Nevermore, Nicholas Greenwood, Message, Solarplexus, McChurch Soundroom, Prof. Wolfff, Emtidi, Eugenspygel, Mecki mark men, Midlake, King Diamond &; Mercyful fate, Clutch, Made in Sweden, Marie Fredriksson (Den ständiga resan), The doors, Ibrahim Tatlises, Gorguts, Chris Cornell, Cressida, Thin lizzy, Gracious, Whitesnake, Comus, Hendrix, Jerry Goldsmith, Stina Nordenstam, José Gonzáles, The Who, ELO, Jeff Beck group, Flower travellin' band, Free, Ark (w/Jorn Lande), East of Eden, Bathory, Jethro tull, Sandy Denny (Fotheringay &; Fairport convention), Danko Jones, Fleetwood mac, Iron maiden, Grand Funk Railroad, Candlemass, Paatos, Linda Perhacs, Europe, Entombed, Van halen, Alice in chains, Fredrik Throdendal &; Meshuggah, Circulus, Uriah heep, Van der graaf generator, Radiohead, Goblin, Three man army, David Axelrod, ELP, Spirit, 30-åriga kriget, Stevie Wonder, Darkthrone, Gentle giant, Alice Cooper, Euroboys, Emperor, Jon Lucien, Tool, David Bowie, Wes Montgomery, Miles Davis, 2066 &; then, Toad, Alice Coltrane, Travis, Death, Affinity, Katatonia, Anekdoten, Morte Macabre, Robin Trower (with James Dewar!!!), 16 horsepower, Air, Captain beyond, Alphonse Mouzon, Carmen...yeah, you get the picture....pretty much everything that's good! As for musicians...Guitars: Ritchie Blackmore, Jerry Donahue, Andy Latimer, Yngwie Malmsteen, Matthias Jabs, Wes Montgomery, Uli Roth, Michael Shenker, Robin Trower, Jimi Hendrix, Al DiMeola. Vocals: David Coverdale, Paul Rogers, James Dewar, David Vincent, Stevie Wonder, Ann Wilson, Joni Mitchell, Paul McCartney, Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford. Playlist right now: The Zombies - Odessey &; oracle (A true masterpiece!)"

vuashke be silent.

A dad certainly has to contradict his son, especially during his teens, its important for the future character of the son!

I think you did your son a favour uploading this video, he is really good judging from this song only

1+ and approved from sweden

(ps I hope you get used to the growls soon enough! )

Wow , quite the list. All thats missing is Brittany Speares (oops)
Can I be banned for mentioning that.

Any way.....Any ideas on what the Opeth setlist would be for a couple stops here in Canada. I am in Saskatoon and I think they are going to Edmonton and Winnipeg as well.

I dont know really, I suggest checking around in the main forum to see what they recently played, IIRC (edit; If I recall correctly) they were playing Wreath, drapery falls and Lotus Eater not too long ago, perhaps they'll continue with these songs?

Baying of the hounds is also a popular song together with either windowpane/in my time of need

vuashke be silent.

A dad certainly has to contradict his son, especially during his teens, its important for the future character of the son!

I think you did your son a favour uploading this video, he is really good judging from this song only

1+ and approved from sweden

(ps I hope you get used to the growls soon enough! )

thanks for the comments

Some parents might have a tough time encouraging the metal band thing to there kids based on stereotypical fears but Christian makes it easy for me.
89% average in school and plans for university. No drinking or drugs and hangs with a great crowd so he gets 110% from me.

Starting to get used to the growls. Next challenge understanding what the hell is being said. (probably doesnt matter)

The kid can really play!
Music is a fun thing to share with your son - how cool...
I'm working on getting my kids into metal too - my 5-year-old daughter Holly loves Opeth's Soldier of Fortune cover, so that's a start...
I'm from Manitoba, so greetings to a fellow Westerner. Have a great time at the show.
Arrive early and check out Nachtmystium - they are awesome too!
I'll be seeing Opeth in Vancouver Oct 3.

thanks for the comments

Some parents might have a tough time encouraging the metal band thing to there kids based on stereotypical fears but Christian makes it easy for me.
89% average in school and plans for university. No drinking or drugs and hangs with a great crowd so he gets 110% from me.

Starting to get used to the growls. Next challenge understanding what the hell is being said. (probably doesnt matter)

Of course it matters!!:cool:
You'll come to understand the words in time. Mike is the best in the business for the growls, and his clean voice just keeps getting better and better. In fact, so do his growls. Once you get used to the growls, you'll start to get the words out of them.

...just beware of deadly badgers...:loco: