Opeth in studio 2007 -discussion

rissy

Aug 1, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Just wanted to start a thread for this since I've been waiting someone do it but no-one has. What do you people think this album will bring? What new? What do you hope it brings? Are there things you don't want from this album?
Mike could also keep us up to date (probably not). :Spin:

I'm hoping for acoustic guitars. Not only clean electric guitars. I'd like to have one of those MAYH-BWP very heavy and evil sounding songs. Not that I'd like to change anything they're doing but those are the things I like.
Also waiting for the album artwork with excitement!

So thats it.. discuss. :)

Well here is a quote from Mike from the Opeth exclusive in this months Terrorizer;

"I'm cutting out the rambling, it's going to be dark and not melodic"

It's nice to hear that there's going to be quite a change (if Mikael really means not melodic). But I hope that it doesn't mean that it's going to be too much of a "not melodic" album. "Dark" sounds good for a change especially after Ghost Reveries.

Not melodic? Doubt it. Mike is a musician. Melody is his gift. I'm guessing he was talking shit in that quote, probably trying to appease the "heavy Opeth is beter fans." If the new album turns out to actually be not melodic, well, fuck that.

itd be a fairly considerable change to go from 9 melodious albums to one not at all melodious one. itll take time but if thats the direction he wants to head down, im interested in listening.

dont take any notice about what mike says, he said the last albums would be total black metal

i think he likes to fuck around with people for a laugh ;)

We'll just have to wait for samples. But as others has already stated, I doubt it's gonna be non melodic.
And it would actually be a shame if they left the melodic parts out. I love Mikael's talent to create amazing accoustic guitar parts.

I'm sure that interpreting the statement as being that the album will contain no melody is somewhat literal-minded, he probably just means that the emphasis will be on heavier riffs and the DM dimension of Opeth's music. Like pushing up the Deliverance/Blackwater Park slider and backing off on the Harlequin Forest slider. Assuming Mike isn't just having fun with the interviewer of course.

Anyway, I look forward to it a great deal and I hope that it is another change with its own feel.

I wouldn´t have anything against it if the sound went back to more similar to deliverance again. Maybe what he meant was that the songs that already are heavy are not going to contain that much softer parts and then there will be a couple of mellow songs in between like on GR

yeah because mikes dream is to make opeth sound like every other metal band. please folks.

its gonna be a brilliant album with mellow parts, heavy parts, proggy parts and all the stuff we look forword to in an opeth record.

i mean i dont really care what direction they go in, but an entire heavy album at this point is a step back for opeth..

Its going to be a opeth album.. Have we ever been disappointed by mike?
Come, like stated before, he might be fucking with us.. Just wait on some samples etc..

I hope he does somewhat smaller songs.. Not like Morningrise were the shortest song is 10.09 min :p
I actually liked what he did on GR, time wise..

Mike should do a double album! :D Atleast 10 songs ;)

please no samples ...

and Mike does NOT dislike Deliverance, the band has only stated that the recording process was hell, but they never said that they don't like the songs and the sound of that amazing album.

Some growls and more Death Metal
Some mellow parts
Some technical/melodic riffs with a combinaison with Fredrik
And i'll happy

Is it possible for opeth to write songs with no melody, even deliverance which was 'the brutal' half of the double release had some really memorable melodic sections the acoustic style break near the end of wreath stands out in my head, but i think it will be an interesting album as always but with new drummer & guitarist fuck knows, it will be a release i will look forward to.

I hope they don't just use chug riffs like on Ghost Reveries.

Why don't they do Orchid all over again?:cry:

well heres some quotes from mikaels myspace from newest to oldest

I don't wanna say too much but....gee, it is so fucking good!!

I think it sounds darker than ever before (not saying this to "sell" the record, I think it really is darker)

I have around a dozen of song ideas. Some are downright evil sounding....a few Bathory (evil era 83-87) parts, some tech-death ones, some overblown prog ballad ones, one Nick Drake thing, one complete prog thing with triple harmony vocals, one evocative middle eastern psychedelic metal arrangement with falsetto vocals (not as wimpy sounding as you might think), one 70´s Scorpions sounding bit (like "Living and dying" type of stuff), one's totally murky forest-ish sounding dark prog-rock with loud vocals that shifts between major and minor, one tedious ugly/pretty little hobbit sounding symf part with moogs over a classical guitar, some soundtrack-ish sounding ones

just from hearing that, im fucking excited, heres to the best fucking opeth album ever written being in production :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: