Opeth - Live Album

FUBAR

Sep 19, 2004
UK
I heard somewhere Lopez or some other Mexican guy from the band said that they were thinking about doing a live album. I think they should and it would be pretty cool if they had a poll on the website (like other bands have done) so the fans vote for which songs to have on the album.

would someone kindly siggest a good program (free obviously!) that'll extract the audio form lamentations so we can all have a live album!!!!!!!!

I think it would be really awesome if they made a live album. So we could "warm up" before seeing them live, wohoo! No seriously, that would be great!

Live albums suck. You can't see the band playing the music.

What's the point of hearing a live band's recording.

The Greys said:
Live albums suck. You can't see the band playing the music.

What's the point of hearing a live band's recording.
Sometimes I prefer listening to a live recording of a song, since it's not as perfect as the studio version of it. It feels more "alive" so to speak. And hearing the audience in the background makes me remember the feeling when I was at the live show. etc...

I agree that a DVD is better in many cases, but when driving or working, I'd rather keep my eyes on what I'm doing. ;)

You can actually buy the Lamentations audio off iTunes for 20 bucks I think..

Well just find some HQ bootleg and burn your Opeth live album. I mean If Opeth should release anything it should be a live DVD which contained material from the first 4 albums + GR, as a Lamentation part 2 you could say. Damn that would rock sooo bad.

I believe a future release of live material is still in play.

In the past, I have had multiple live versions of the same song usually as part of different live shows I had... and I woud listen to all of them on a regular basis and would enjoy the sometimes subtle and other times stark differences in the same songs..... But there's no denying I'm a total geek.

Out.:devil:

youre fucking stupid if you think live albums are pointless, Camel's "A Live Record" is simply superb, the snow goose album is played in its entirety, and is better than on the album, intensity and rawness of a live album can bring much greater satisfaction than a studio album, but yes in Opeths case, i would much much prefer a live DVD than cd.

with the possibility nowadays of making such good livedvd's as lamentations, why make livecd's? ..
on a livecd the sound of the audience just bugs me, and often the sound quality isn't good. with the music from opeth the soundquality is very important. I don't really consider the music from opeth as being something you HAVE to hear live, although it is amazing of course ;)

and yes, they should make a dvd with older stuff too, perhaps also old bootlegmaterial on it and stuff. but I read that the reason they didn't play any older stuff on lamentations is because of licenseproblems, since those older records where made with another recordcompany. so I think these same problems will be there again for another liverecording unfortunately.

Wouldn't it be amazing to have a dvd on wich Opeth would play every album in it's entirety, perhaps giving a new interpretation to old songs? ... it would be a first in music history I think, and knowing the quality Opeth delivers, it would be awesome! Perhaps making a small tour out of it, playing in 8 different places (one for each album, although damnation has been done now of course).
oh well, keep on dreaming i guess ;)

oh sorry, forget to say something: I consider the albums of Opeth as coherent pieces of art, including the music itself, the production (not always as succeeded as we all know), the cover and lay-out, the lyrics, ... A live-album wouldn't have that feeling, and would brake the magic a bit for me. (I hope I'm making my feeling about this clear, it's hard to put in to words).

I don't like the idea, reasons:

1 - The Lopezs are from Uruguay, not Mexico;
2 - It's boring when bands realease a live album where they play what is exactly on the studio release. Opeth is an exemple;
3 - A live album would start up many discussions here about the set list and, for sure, Opeth would play the same stuff they used to like The Drapery Falls, Demon Of The Fall (their live hits);
4 - I think it would be better not a live album, but an ep with a couple of live songs plus some extras, edited songs, demos, videos...