• Somber Illusions

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
This poll is based on another thread in this forum, where people have suggested titles for the next OPETH album, which we all know will be an incredibly brilliant album.

I chose 20 of those I really liked and made a poll out of it. Care to vote? Thank you! :cool:

(...and I know I included some of my own suggestions....:loco: )

well, i picked opeth.... because if they were to follow in the footsteps of a certain metal band (cough coughmetallicacough cough) their 5th album would be self titled, right after their best album... and then all hell will break lose

White Worms is also a song by Stone (What! You don't know Stone, the best Finnish trash-metal-band ever? Shame on you!) and a great one, really! Go find it, if you can.

Whether or not it fits Opeth, I dunno. But I suggested it mainly because I thought "white" after "black" would be a good joke.

-Villain

I can't remember which, but in an interview with some metal magazine, one of the Martíns accidentally slipped up and said that the tentative title for the new album (even though they haven't actually written anything for it yet) will be "Death : Life". Of course, since this is a tentative title, it's subject to change, so please don't harass me if the new title is something else. Personally, I think a self-titled album is due by now.

hmm..... let's think obscure progressive bands (Still Life was the same as a fates warning album, blackwater park was a 70's prog band)

what about....
Death:Genesis

I am merely speculating with the connotations of the titles from different viewpoints...

Orchid: A flower
Morningrise: A time of the day
My Arms, Your Hearse: Parts of the body/lifeless object
Still Life: An artform
Blackwater Park: A place

1) we need an animal.

Orchid: Linked with death
Morningrise: Linked with the beginning of something new
My Arms, Your Hearse: Death and life intertwined
Still Life: Static life --> Death?
Blackwater Park: dark, pestilential place

2) maybe something concretely in movement?

Orchid: A Black Sabbath song
Morningrise: Well, no actual artist comes to mind. Luckily three out of five is enough to make some sort of hypothesis...
My Arms, Your Hearse: see above
Still Life: A Fates Warning song AND a 1970's prog band
Blackwater Park: A 1970's prog band

3) Something to be linked with the band's musical favorites.

4) Each title has had a different vibe. The next one should be no exception, even if certain themes have proven to reoccur every time...

The result:

1) "Turn loose the swans"...
2) Or rather "Dead swans floating": The swan being dead, it is a continuation with the theme that flows through their albums. The sawn is the animal that is needed, and since it is floating, there is the motion. Then what about the musical connotation? Well, we all know Mikael's fascination with the cover of Black Sabbath's first album, I suppose. On the inside of the gatefold LP we have an inverted cross and a text describing the cover, wherein is a line that says "the dead swan floats upturned" (not entirely correct, I do not have the CD here and my memory fails me). So we have the connection with an artist that has influenced Opeth.

On the other hand, the band may not be this analytical. I think I need some sleep...

Originally posted by Demonspell
Still Life is Fates Warning's live album, not a song...I'm a huge fan of theirs, which explains the nitpicking...

Alright, another Fates Warning fan. What is your favorite album of theirs? Mine is A Pleasant Shade of Gray

If we start nitpicking..

• Annie Haslem / Still Life
  • Charnett Moffett Trio / Still Life
  • Jon Wilcox / Still Life
  • Colin Towns' Mark Quintet With Maria Pia De Vito / Still Life
  • End Of Orgy / Still Lie
  • Annie Haslam / Still Life
  • The Listening Pool / Still Life
  • Still Life / Still Life
  • The Paradise Motel / Still Life
  • Amongst Myselves / Still Life
... etc. etc.

Ah that's boring. There's about 50 albums named "Still Life". :)