Opeth live in the US

theyre the greatest band ive ever seen live.. ever!! ever!! ever!.. nothing can top OPETH when it comes to live shows.. unless they start adding fire crazy lights and strippers..

I thought they were great live. I don't know, I just like when bands sound like they do on CD, and the last show at Irving Plaza was great! Hope you get to catch them next time they come through.

He's right, hope to see them someday.
And I'm hoping to see those bastards named Opeth in my fucking country... or Chile.
\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

sknight said:
I may get shit for saying this, but hands down, Dream Theater is probably the world's best live act. Four hours, tons of crap, specials, never the same songlist two nights in a row.

bangadrian said:
why do you want a band to sound exactly like they do on the cd? why don't you just listen to your cds really loud and look at a picture of opeth?
hahaha! thats signature material for sure.

....yeah, i agree, DT are great live. tons of effort and lengthy sets. rush, too for that matter. however, both those bands have TONS of material to choose from.

^rush do indeed put on a good live show...i was disappointed they didn't play subdivisions though...what a fucking sweet song that is, haha!

bangadrian said:
why do you want a band to sound exactly like they do on the cd? why don't you just listen to your cds really loud and look at a picture of opeth?

Because if a band can't pull off their own material live you have to fucking wonder how they did it in the first place. I dont mind if they improvise things, but I'd rather see a solid performance of some of my favorite songs then a 1.5 hour raping of my eardrums. :loco:

bangadrian said:
to be honest, opeth isn't the greatest live band, really. they get up on stage and play the songs very accurately, EXACTLY how they are on the recorded album. and mikael talks too much in between songs. for me, i look for more improvisation in a live performance, but honestly it would be damn hard for them to do this, because their songs are so structured. anyhoo, it is quite amazing to watch them hammer out these difficult songs all in sync with each other. but it won't blow your mind.

You! Shut the fuck up right now!

deliverance said:
when i first read the thread title, i thought you meant they live in the US. as in, reside in the US. i was about to call you a fucking idiot.

Jesthuth Chrith

they are awesome, because they just go up there and play their songs to the best of their ability in a very raw and live fashion. they don't do anything fancy, they just play their music...what could possibly be boring about that?

bangadrian said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have been to lots and lots of concerts and Opeth was my favorite. And you people are making me feel like shit for missing Rush the last time they came around. I tried my hardest, but I just couldn't make it :(

The Damnation tour was great, but the Lamentations tour could have been better. Mikael himself said they could have used some more rehearsing, particularly on songs like The Moor. Their best performances came with songs they've played forever, like April Ethereal and Demon of the Fall. Having said that, they killed when they played Blackwater Park!

Better shows I've seen though:

Sonic Youth at the Del Mar Racetrack (2003)
Black Sabbath at the L.A. Forum (1999)
Radiohead at Coors Amphitheatre (2003)
Iron Maiden--many times in the 80's
Robert Randolph--San Diego (2004)
Rainbow in Sacramento (1984)--BTW, Ritchie Blackmore is coming to San Diego this month!!!!!!!!!! Fucking there, dudes!