Opeth on Wacken and new album release date?!?!?

Well, I do agree that I'd probably end up happier if Mike didn't even update us, as there would be much less anticipation for the album, but that's not what any band wants. Mike's bimonthly announcements really do a lot for the anticipation factor... but also can be disappointing as we know. Of course we don't NEED to know when the guitar tracks/drums/vox were completed, but there is a reason Mike updates us as much as he does!

Samsara: you contradict yourself now by saying "Total silence until there is a firm date and that's it" ... in a previous discussion this was exactly what I and others were saying because postponing stuff over and over again is what gets everybody this irritated, but then you were criticizing us as well for saying this exact same thing you are saying now ...
otherwise I completely agree that we do not need to know anything, but it would be nice if they wouldn't keep announcing indefinite stuff.
also, someone should look up how long it took previous records and records from other bands to get released after it was completely finished. then we have an objective perspective. but you can't possibly say that roadrunner is not capable of organizing all that stuff early enough and fast enough ...

and finally, I think the guys from Opeth should (and probably do) take it as a compliment that so many people can't wait to hear it. they said so themselves how much they anticipated new records by their favourite bands in the past. no matter what we say here, they will not be persuaded to release any information that they don't want to or are allowed to. this is just a place where fanatic fans share their impatience and irritations about waiting. and you can't possibly blame us for getting nervous knowing that the album is completely finished but that we have to wait another couple of months ... it's only because we like Opeth and I'm sure the guys from Opeth realize this.

hope I made my point clear :p because I sometimes need a place to ventilate my impatience and irritation about the fact that I won't be able to hear the new stuff before august with people who experience the same.

hmm, before internet these kind of discussions only took place at gigs or in pubs and stuff ... nobody seems to mind then ... perhaps it's because it is in writing on a forum that it has a more permanent feeling to it, that some of you guys don't want anyone to ventilate how they feel about the waiting and anticipating??
just a thought ...

Im not dissapointed in this my b-day is 1 of June so its a nice present. BUT i dont get why RR dont wont move heaven and earth to release ASAP. The longer it takes, the bigger the chance it leaks.

Well, actually I'm really glad to hear that the new album is comin out on May 30. It's true that it could have been released earlier, but isn't it worth to wait to listen to a better album? I mean... It's Opeth, except for Ghost Reveries they never disappointed me so far. And I guess, I could wait forever for an Opeth album. I just wish that this new album sounds more like Still Life or Blackwater Park than Ghost Reveries. Of course, it's not a good thing to do the same thing all the time, but that's not my point. I just loved the atmosphere of those two albums. Anyway, that's another discussion.

About Wacken, I really want to go there this year. The line-up is amazing. I don't know if I could though. Besides, I've heard rumors that this is the last Wacken to be made. Anyone knows anything about it?

I'm not defending the band. I'm shaking my head at you guys who act like spoiled children. Mike is nice enough to keep you guys posted on the progress of the recording progress, and all you guys can do is fucking whine and bitch and moan. For fucks sake you all should be treated like the brats you that you are. You don't need to know anything about the recording process, what the band thinks about their performances, what studio they recorded at, when the drums finished and when the guitars began, what flavor the songs are taking on... nothing. Nothing but a release date. Frankly, I think that's all you should ever be told. Total silence until there is a firm date and that's it. Thank goodness I'm not in charge of that because that's what would happen.

Perspective from someone who knows what they are talking about is here.

Saying, "I can't fucking wait for the new record!!" is great. Saying, "If the album's done then what to wait for?" without any knowlege of how the process works is just inane... and THAT children is why I say you are unbelieveable.

That being said... I wish I had the CD in my player right now myself, but it'll be ready when it's ready and I'm pretty sure it'll be worth the wait.

Cheers :saint:

Yes you're right but what is wrong with being disappointed? Like you said yourself you wished you had the CD right now. It's not like we're cursing Mike or Roadrunner (at least Im not) it's just simple frustration and what is wrong with that.
And besides I ASKED why wait when the album is done becaurse I didn't know! What's fucking inane about that?!

Yes you're right but what is wrong with being disappointed? Like you said yourself you wished you had the CD right now. It's not like we're cursing Mike or Roadrunner (at least Im not) it's just simple frustration and what is wrong with that.
And besides I ASKED why wait when the album is done becaurse I didn't know! What's fucking inane about that?!

Yeah, I wish I had the CD right now... but I'm not dissapointed that I don't have it because I realize that there is a process to get it there. If it was recorded 2 years ago I'd be dissapointed. I only quoted you because it gave a general tone for what I have been reading. Again, it's the difference between having the kids in the back seat asking how many miles we are from the Grand Canyon, how long it will take and then excitedly saying, "I can't wait to get there!" rather than just bitching.... "Are we there yet?!?" every five fucking minutes for a 2 day road trip. "I can't believe it is taking us so long to get there."..."I'm so dissapointed that we can't get there in an hour!".

Can you at least understand the difference? I don't make posts like that with one or two posts that take on that tone... it is usually several posts over a couple of threads that will get me going. I read this forum multiple times a day and sometime it feels like I'm driving on that road trip and I just want to be like... "Don't make me pull this car over!".. you know? :lol:

This means we'll probably hear one or two of the songs in the tour for a first listening. I haven't seen them on a tour right before an album, so I've always heard studio versions first. Did anyone see them on the Sounds of the Underground tour and hear The Grand Conjuration there before the album? I think that will be pretty cool.

...wow 4 fucking months(be thankful they haven't pulled a DVD with it). Get over it.

Works out great for me. Album release will coincide with the DT tour :loco:

Plenty of other shows to hold me off in the meantime.

Ok, i guess i cannot technically be dissapointed. The arguments posted here has made me realize i was only imagining dissapointment. Because its not about how you feel - its about how you SHOULD feel.

I have now been convinced that my feelings were indeed wrong, and so now they are gone.

I'm so disappointed that no one in this thread can spell "disappointed." Yes, I'm the spelling police as long as I'm in this thread...