Opeth should make song books don't ya think?

Deoxy

Metal Lady
Oct 20, 2005
Austin,TX
I am a bass player and have been wanting to learn Opeth tunes for a long time. Now some of the tunes the bass line is easy to discern, especially on the GR. But on a track liek The Moor where the quality isn't as good the bass line is muddy and it is difficult to hear anything at all really. I think that many other musicians porbably feel the same. Opeth is badass enough that they should have some transcriptions of their songs! Now who is with me. I am assuming it would be the record label who would pay fot this sort of thing correct?

Death's Acre said:
Tabs suck ass compared to sheet music. Sorry but they do.

I don't think Mike can even read sheet music so that's kind of irrelevant.

Yeh the basslines tabbed for the moor are prettly much wrong all the time. I had to sorta chuck 4 tabs together in my head and listen over and over to figure out what was exactly played.

polarity3 said:
I don't think Mike can even read sheet music so that's kind of irrelevant.

Most music books I've seen in stores have both. Mike doesn't have to read sheet music for someone else to write it out.

Does power tabs have sheet music or is it all tablature? I have a real hard time with tabs since i learned to read music first.

Powertabs also has the music transcribed on the staff. I know what you mean. Most tab sucks. Powertabs does not, and it's free. It also can play the song back to you, which makes it really useful. For example, in Serenity Painted Death, there's a really tricky 5 on 6 part that I couldn't imagine without actually hearing it.

Where's Wankerness? Wankerness does the best Opeth powertabs, maybe he can tell you about it.

Good question... I have had a tough time with some of the tabs online because they don't have time signatures, measures, or note values. But that's independent of being able to read music. Before I could read music, I still found tabs like that to be very confusing.

Basically my feelings. Sheet music is more complete- I can basically sight read and have it sound close to what it should really sound like whereas with tabs it's off more often then not. Also sheet music doesn't make you feel confined to one fingering- I naturally just go for the note that's most convenient for me instead of the specific fret that's been tabbed.

Can't learn by ear because on many of the older Opeth albums you can't hear the bass at all. Just sort of a muddy sound beneath all the other parts. But thanks guys for the tips I really appreciate it! Cheers from one musician to all you others! Keep on rocking.:headbang:

powertab is the best tab format because it shows the staves as well.

do i think they should make an official book? no... i'd rather they spend their money making music and touring. it takes a lot of time to sit down and transcribe everything, and the label can't do this without the band telling them what notes go where, you see? so i'm in favor of the quality tabs that fans have done in their fervor for learning Opeth songs.

Silent Song said:
powertab is the best tab format because it shows the staves as well.

do i think they should make an official book? no... i'd rather they spend their money making music and touring. it takes a lot of time to sit down and transcribe everything, and the label can't do this without the band telling them what notes go where, you see? so i'm in favor of the quality tabs that fans have done in their fervor for learning Opeth songs.

Do you actually think that it would be Mike sitting down and transcribing that stuff? They would just get their management to pay someone to do it. I think powertab is just fine, but it would be nice having some hardbound book of all the Opeth songs.