Opeth should make song books don't ya think?

BurningSky said:
Do you actually think that it would be Mike sitting down and transcribing that stuff? They would just get their management to pay someone to do it. I think powertab is just fine, but it would be nice having some hardbound book of all the Opeth songs.
do you actually think paying someone to do it is any different than someone doing it for free and posting it on the net?

and on top of that, it saves the band the effort. if it's 'official' it had better be from the band members, or else it's no different than tabs. what's the point?

Well it would be official because its officially endorsed by the band. Some fan posting his own tabs on some website is completely different than a band contracting someone to make a songbook for them. I dont want to sound like a dick about any of this, I just figure that thinking mike would personally make the song book seems ridiculous. Any questionable stuff would then be discussed with mike probably, and they would have them sign off on the whole thing, but it wouldn't really set them back much.

my whole point being that the idea of a band-transcribed version being out of the question (as you said)

makes any other version just as good as any other. the tabs i've seen fans do (and the covers) are excellent. why bother with an official one?

It's easier to both write and read and has a bit more options, plus it allows programming drums. You may argue that it's a guitar program and drums are unnecessary but: 1) tabs sound way better with drums and 2) GTP drums are a good thing when you want to jam along. Powertab ain't bad but GTP is simply better