Confessions of an Opeth Fan...Ghost Reveries and Faceculture interview...

tjames11

New Metal Member
Jan 20, 2006
I have just watched the interview with Mikael, and have to get somethings off my chest which I have been wanting to say since I first heard the new LP. Incidently, I am just wondering if anyone else shares my thoughts, as I have read nothing similar...

Basically, what I want to say is that I personally think that Ghost Reveries is the worst Opeth LP so far, and that interestingly it seems to be because of the more pleasant environment in which it was recorded. Here is my take on the LP: The first three tracks are pretty good, Ghost of Perdition in particular was what I was hoping for and when I put the LP on and heard this I was relieved. But then things went down hill! Baying of the Hounds and Beneath the Mire, yes both good, not amazing in terms of the general Opeth oveure, but listenable. Then Atonement. Ok. I understand wanting to go in a new direction and try new things etc, but really as far as I am concerned this song does just not measure up to past Opeth songs of a less hard nature. I dont know if it is an attempt to reach a wider audience or what, but compared with benighted say, this simply, in terms of lyrics, melody and general song writting, is not on par with what has gone in the past. Then Reverie, ok may be it was just a slight jilt, and back to normal Opeth. But then, whats going on with the lyrics? Can anyone who holds My Arms.. in any sort of regard be satisfied with 'These are...The Trees?' I know that it is would be almost impossible to do better than My Arms, as an LP generally, but at least the same standard has to be maintained, and again this simply does not measure up, and I fail to see how this is a matter of taste. It seems obvious, especially if you compare the song as a whole to 'A Fair Judgement'.

And then theres Hours of Wealth!. What on earth is going on here? The LP started with 3, solid Opeth tracks. And then it somehow has unravelled to this, which is like some kind of blues, middle of the road guitar song from america, again with fairly bad lyrics. Can anyone seriously think this is on par with Face of Melinda, Credence, Harvest, perhaps To Rid the Disease? As far as Opeth Ballads go this song is way behind any of the past offerings, which has to then make is inferior to all that has gone before. And after this, we then reach the low point of the LP? Mikael says in the interview that the Grand Conjuration was veyr different from how it is, and it seems to only have been changed because of the amount of rehersal time they had. For me this is by far and away the worst Opeth song ever, and they choose to release it as a single? I am beginning to question my own taste and sanity. Am I missing something? I was going to list my favourite Opeth songs, but really Opeth are not like other bands for me, as I dont list my fav songs, I list my fav lps. I can listen from My arms through every LP to Deliverence (excluding Damnation) from start to finish and they are all my favourite songs. There is not really one bad song amongst any of those LPs. Can any true Opeth fan really look themselves in the mirror and say that this song, the Grand Conjuration, the first single and video they do, is the best song they have ever done? Pick any song from past LPs and it just doesnt measure up in terms of melody, lyrics, song structure, etc. I mean, it almost isnt an Opeth song when I think that by Opeth I mean songs like Bleak, Masters Apprentice, the all time classic Demon of the Fall, Serenity Painted death, or in fact, any other hard song that has gone before.

Again I do not think this is a matter of taste. There are criteria of judgement that seem to make Opeth songs what they are, and the Grand ... falls short on all of them bar perhaps technical playing, which is a given for Opeth anyway so it doesnt count. And to add to all this, they make a video for the song without one of the band members!! anyone who doesnt know opeth is going to get the totally wrong impression if they see this song on television. They wont see Lopez drumming (who for me is the heart of Opeth), and will not hear the true melody, accumplished complexity and intricacy that has made opeth great.

And then finally there is Isolation Years. This is not too bad, but again is not AS good as former ballads, so at most is average. Again the lyrics let it down! it sounds like he is talking about his new child! but i wont repeat what I have written about hours of wealth as exactly the same applies here.

All in all, I now am back to where I have been since 2003, waiting for the new Opeth LP to come out. I do not understand why no one else seems to have any similar views, or how you can go from listening to My arms, to Still Life, to Blackwater, to Deliverance, all of which show a progression of style, but which maintain the same identity, and then go to GR and think that it maintains what these LPs have (the unbalanced structure of the LP after track 3 alone is one of the more obvious points). And I dont see how Mikael of all people cannot see this. But may be I reall am loosing my mind?

And all this because there was no studio pressure! Mikael said he was done with the songs before recording, and that there were 3 weeks of rehersals. And this is what comes out, compared with all the previous LPs which seem to have been partly written whilst being recoded and which were not rehersed at all. I understand not wanting a painful recording experience, but it obviously does not bring out the best in the band. As it is, GR is the first and only Opeth LP I cannot listen to with complete pleasure from start to end; something which I never thought possible with this band.

Mikael wont care about this, which is good as I dont care that he doesnt care. I will just say one thing: Please, next time, no rehersals before recording!

i actually agree with you that Ghost Reveries is by far Opeth's worst album. It has some gems (GOP, Baying, Isolation Years) but it also has what has to be Opeth's worst song EVER, Hours of Wealth. However, from what i've gathered being on this forum for a few months, this album being Opeth's worst is definitely not the general consesus. A lot of people praise it to be their (gasp!) best or top best! Kudos for voicing your opinion so boldly, but be prepared to be torn apart by the forum members.:hotjump:

tjames11 said:
Mikael wont care about this, which is good as I dont care that he doesnt care. I will just say one thing: Please, next time, no rehersals before recording!

Actually I have thoght about this to. Mike said that he had a version of The Grand Conjuration that he changed becuase it sucked/not good and he had the time to change it. I agree with you when you say the things i quoted above.

I think the reason why the albums before this one has been so good is the lack of rehearsal. Thats when you get the Opeth moments.

Yes, i think Ghost Reveries is the worst Opeth album and have thought about the things you mention.

Good post.

I think its pretty good. I dont mind what Mikael thinks about comments at all. I dont care if he likes them or not. But im sure he would think like me. He does what the fuck he wants. Not what fans want. I respect this and this way of thinking keeps my faith in the band. I will not hear otherwise.

yeah, i totally respect that he does what he wants. I respect that bands like Sunn0)) do what they want, doesnt mean im going to like the end product. All you can do is *hope* for the end product to be what you like. If not, oh well. Personally, Opeth has made 8 albums of awesome material so far. Even if they start to decline to me, its still 8 albums of great music. The guys in Opeth will always be legends for that alone.

for me GR is def. on eof the top 5....!!!!........actualyl they're all good to me.........i fail to see teh things u emtioned.....I like pretty much all songs...yes at times Ive seen myslef skip track 3.......hahaha.........PEAC EOUT

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen this viewpoint before. Several times. But well done to you for going into so much depth about it. I disagree. As will lots of people.
Btw, what the fuck would be wrong with writing a song about your new born child (not that it is about that)?!?!? I think that's just about the most touching, personal thing you can go through, perfect song-writing material. I don't see the logic here...

First of all, am I the only one who finds it funny that you keep writing LP instead of album?

Second, you keep mentioning albums from MAYH to the latest. Did you listen to the first two?

tjames11 said:
There is not really one bad song amongst any of those LPs. Can any true Opeth fan really look themselves in the mirror and say that this song, the Grand Conjuration, the first single and video they do, is the best song they have ever done?
Did anyone say that? It doesn't have to be your favorite to be an excellant song.

tjames11 said:
Again I do not think this is a matter of taste.
Of course it is. How you can say otherwise is beyond me.

tjames11 said:
anyone who doesnt know opeth is going to get the totally wrong impression if they see this song on television.
Oh no.... the horror.

tjames11 said:
And then finally there is Isolation Years. Again the lyrics let it down! it sounds like he is talking about his new child!
Did you read the lyrics? At all?

For whatever reason, I only have a few albums I've "judged", and it's the ones I think are special. Since the beginning of my music listening time, it's always been about individual songs. I came to the conclusion decades ago that I had no expectations of compilations of a bands music (albums). I consider it lucky to buy an album and actually like 3 songs off of it. It's been that way in music as long as I've been listening to it (close to 40 years).

When I happen to come across an album that has 5+ songs that I thoroughly enjoy on it, then I feel I've found a diamond in the ruff. I honestly can name only a handful of complete albums I love:
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Grip Inc - Power of Inner Strength
Grip Inc - Incorporated
The Tea Party - Edges of Twilight

Songs are important to me, as I rarely listen to complete albums in one sitting. Ghost of Perdition is my #1 all-time favorite song. Although when asked I'll make a list, honestly I can't really rank the Opeth albums other then Blackwater Park being #1 and the other seven tied at #2 - that's really how I feel. When I listen to Opeth, I get more enjoyment out of listening to my own personal compilation than listening to one album straight through (except for BWP).

Collectively (career wise), I truly consider Opeth the best musical artists bar none. I listen to a band not for technical merit, but for the simple fact that I enjoy listening to them. However Opeth decides to make their albums, whether it be years of rehearsing or slapping an album together, it wouldn't matter to me. They're artists, and an artist does things their way. I totally respect Opeth in the music industry because they are one of those bands that holds true to themselves (that's what I believe). Yes, they "sold-out" by making the Grand Conjuration video, and Mikael admitted it. He knew it was purely marketing, so Opeth gave a little piece of themselves away to reach out to more fans.

tjames11, like myself, is entitled to a personal opinion about a band/album etc. I don't have to agree with the opinion, but it's a moot point anyways, as opinions are just ones own personal taste. In this case, I can't agree or disagree with the rating of Ghost Reveries, because I only have two tiers of albums - my top list which is VERY short, and then most every other album. Only songs can I actually put to a rating system.

I go about music the opposite way of MetalManCPA. I usually listen to complete albums (when I'm in the sit down and really listen mode.) I'm into concept albums, i.e. bands like Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, Orphaned Land, etc where a musical journey can last about an hour.

Opeth is definitely one of those bands for me. I was excited to hear Opeth was releasing a concept album, but when I got it, I was slightly disappointed. The kind of catharsizes that I had experienced with Still Life were not there. (Not that I was expecting them to top Morningrise.) This album is less penetrable than the others. You have long moments of repeating riffs as well as moments of mellow soundscapes. It’s not handed to you on a silver platter. It took me a while to grasp the concept. But when I did, I could attach it to the instrumental parts to see what kind of emotion or action they were expounding on. This album full of buried genius. I think they could have done better. But I hate to see people give up on this album before realizing its magnitude. This album is more atmospheric than most of their stuff. It’s a different kind than Orchid and it lacks some of the…err…magic of that album, but it is sophisticated. I like the direction that Opeth is going in.

To be honest, I don’t see how someone who loves BWP can not recognize the greatness of Ghost Reveries.

this has got to be the one of the most understanding forums I have yet been on, so much toleration of other peoples opinions!

just a few responses. OK Frosties, I do not mention the first two albums (or whatever) because for me the LPs from MAYH onwards, although I cant really put it into words, form some sort of whole, which the first two lps are not part of (I personally believe chiefly because of Lopez's drumming and influence over song structure, but this is just my opinion). Also, There is absolutely no way that I can see how you think Grand Conjuration is an excellent song in comparision to even Ghost of Perdition (which incidently I am in agreement with whoever said that it is their favourite song; its just a shame the LP does follow it). You might be right, yes it might at the very very very end of the very last ever day be a matter of opinion, but I still think that when you compare the elements of Grand Conjuration to other songs, it comes out lacking, before opinion of it enters. And what does it say about a band who do a video with a drummer thats not even in the band! Especially when its Lopez that is being replaced.... (and to add to my crits, that video was as Poor as they come.!) ..Come on, are you saying that the lyrics on Isolation years -or the majority of the lp for that matter- match up to any of the previous lps? people seem to think that this lack of continuety doesnt take away from an album being excellent or whatever, but in this case it does. Its opeth themselves who have set their own standards by which Im making these jusgements, not some purely ethereal source of opionion or taste.

But anyways, this is all nothing really. I just needed to get these thoughts out to people that would at least understand, whether or not they agree. And at least there's the new Katatonia....

Oh, and THERE ARE ONLY TRUE OPETH FANS!! HAHAHA!!!!!

tjames11 said:
All in all, I now am back to where I have been since 2003, waiting for the new Opeth LP to come out. I do not understand why no one else seems to have any similar views, or how you can go from listening to My arms, to Still Life, to Blackwater, to Deliverance, all of which show a progression of style, but which maintain the same identity, and then go to GR and think that it maintains what these LPs have (the unbalanced structure of the LP after track 3 alone is one of the more obvious points). And I dont see how Mikael of all people cannot see this. But may be I reall am loosing my mind?

Most people have an appreciation of good music. Opeth can't stay the way they are forever, it would get bland and boring. I don't think GR is their best album, but it's very unique from the past albums, which I also appreciate. From a musician's (my) point of view, this is a very musically good album. From an Opeth fan's (your) perspective, it's not their best. So you can't actually say that it's a bad album, just one you don't like.

I also don't think it's very fair to say that it's not up to Opeth standards. Each song on GR is different than what they've done before. Most fans fear change... but from what I can infer from each of Opeth's albums, Mikael thrives from it.

Liquid Diamonds said:
I'm not getting at you man, but how the fuck do you figure that one out?

I listened to Hours of Wealth again before i took a nap. Its actually not as bad as i thought. It was a good idea gone wrong. The beginning is just pure bliss, like only Opeth could do it. However, once it gets to the singing, as GREAT as Mike's voice and singing is, the cliche'd vocal lines and chord progressions just kill it for me (i mean, where is the majestic opeth that makes you think about forests and olden times? this part sounds like they wish they were in the 70's playing in some blues rock band). I have to admit, the blues solo is really awesome. Mike's blues solos always touch me. So just because i said its opeth's WORST song, doesnt necessarily mean its BAD. If you have a song that you think is worse, feel free to make me aware.

But then again, its all personal opinion isnt it?;)

tjames11 said:
Also, There is absolutely no way that I can see how you think Grand Conjuration is an excellent song in comparision to even Ghost of Perdition (which incidently I am in agreement with whoever said that it is their favourite song; its just a shame the LP does follow it).

I personally found that a refreshing break, since (shoot me) some of the Opeth elements seem cliche Opeth. The whole heavy/ligth thing is the definitive Opeth. Which is why My Arms is so great - it has the least soft moments, making them all the better.
My point is, that because it is different than anything else adds to it a lot. It shows that Opeth can branch out even MORE than we thought. Everyone says they want Opeth to evolve and so on, and their favorite GP song is Ghost Of Perdition, probably the song that sticks the most to the Opeth formula - which is good, just not very different from anything else they've done.

tjames11 said:
And what does it say about a band who do a video with a drummer thats not even in the band! Especially when its Lopez that is being replaced.... (and to add to my crits, that video was as Poor as they come.!)
Who gives a shit about the video? Is that a reason to dislike a band??? If you didn't see Opeth the whole video, would you stop listening to them altogether?!

tjames11 said:
..Come on, are you saying that the lyrics on Isolation years -or the majority of the lp for that matter- match up to any of the previous lps?
You can't compare a single song to a whole album. And I personally find the final line of that song as beautiful as any of their best lines.