Ghost Reveries

blimey said:

blimey, man, in all honesty, i don't give a fuck what everyone's opinion is. I respect it, but i prefer Ghost Reveries, i think it's one of their best, if not THE best. That is just my opinion.
And anyway, your opinion is that Still Life is better... which is absolutely fucking cool because it's Opeth... so what are we arguing about?!
Peace!

worldwide_suicide said:
blimey, man, in all honesty, i don't give a fuck what everyone's opinion is. I respect it, but i prefer Ghost Reveries, i think it's one of their best, if not THE best. That is just my opinion.
And anyway, your opinion is that Still Life is better... which is absolutely fucking cool because it's Opeth... so what are we arguing about?!
Peace!

I completely agree, I was just being difficult. Merry Christmas

Well.. back to the album...

Don't you just fucking love the part that goes "WEPT-FOR-SOLACE-AND-SUBMIT-TO-FAITH...." (beneath the mire)

Yeah, it's good!

Pesonally, I love this album. My favorite track would have to be "Hours of Wealth". I must say, I am a real sucker for their softer stuff, I think "Damnation" is brilliant, yet I also love the heavier stuff, "My Arms, Your Hearse" is so dark, and just amazing. Every album has something unique that I love.

rrjii2000 said:
I was excited at first, and tried hard not to overlisten.
Rob

Haha, whenever a band I love has a new album or I fall in love with a new cd, I do the same and try very hard not to listen to it too much so that it gets stale.:tickled:

when i fall in love with a band, i try to get as much as i can CD's DVD's, etc... listen to it until i can't stand them anymore which leads me to find another great band. And then i just go back to the others i loved before. It works for me!

blimey said:
Doesnt mean the lyrics are weak, man.

I'm kind of happy you brought this up once again. Let me refer back to my original comment.

"What can I say, the song contains some of the worst lyrics Mike has ever written, but the song itself is so brutal and I find it acutally suits it well"

The point I tried to get across is that Mike has written a lot more, fuck... well-worded lyrics. The lyrics in this song are simple, yet (as I mentioned) they match the song very well. The song is brutal, and while the lyrics are not the best, you definetly get the message.

In conclusion, I have a hard time expressing myself. So, in future just keep your comments to yerselves and all will be fine :p

GR is differentiated from all their other works. I miss the old sound too but Mikael's musical direction is his choice, write some albums since you all seem to have strong opinions on how 'music' is 'supposed' to sound.

Here's what i think.
Most of us fell in love with Opeth with older records, that was the sound that we loved since the beginning.
But a band has to change and evolve, otherwise it would just suck.
The problem is that the evolution the band goes through always makes them change the original sound to which you fell in love right from the beginning.
So obviously when a band evolves for good or bad, it doesn't matter because anyway it's not he original sound that brought you to them.
I say: Embrace the changes and learn to love the new Opeth!

I started listening to Opeth upon the release of Blackwater Park. I found the CD walking through a very large music and electronics store, desparately looking for new music. Walking down the last isle empty handed, I see a label on a CD that arrogantly proclaims "Metal's Most Brilliant Band." I had no idea who Opeth was, but I figured a statement so bold deserved a listen. Although a life-long fan of metal, I never got into the "Cookie Monster" vocals, until this CD. Listening to BP the first time was like being cracked over the head with an aluminum bat, but in a good way. To this day BP blows me away. Brilliant song, brilliant album. I immediately went out and bought everything I could find that said Opeth on it. Also bought copies of BP for friends that needed to be cracked in the head musically. Opeth opened my mind to music I might not have given a fair opportunity to in the past. As I wore BP out, I thought to myself, 'how does a band follow this CD?" Damnation is fantastic but should not be compared to anything from Opeth or anyone else. As a whole, Deliverance was not quite as complete a recording as BP but the song Deliverance is, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Now that I've taken the very long road to get to my worthless opinion, it took a few weeks to grow on me, but I love GR. It's fantastic. If any of us were to think of it as a first release from a new band we would be thrilled to find such an amazing new sound. Disappointment (if any) is a product of the expectations Opeth has created. We judge them more harshly because they have set the bar so high. I personally can't compare Opeth CDs to one another because the band seems to re-invent, or at least substantially modify, themselves on every recording. It is far easier to compare, for example, Metallica to themselves. Specifically, Metallica pre-Black album to post Black album. Master of Puppets & And Justice for All are brilliant. Enter Sandman (or any other track on the CD that represents everything bad about music), is the textbook definition of SELL OUT. Every song on that CD makes me want to drive my car off a bridge. GR is probably my "CD of the Year" for 2005; Deadwing is a close second. If I didn't own GR, I would run out and buy it today. GR successfully maintains Opeth's title of Metal's Most Brilliant Band. All that said, I'm still extremely pissed that the band cancelled it's Phoenix show.

KeyserSoze said:
Disappointment (if any) is a product of the expectations Opeth has created. We judge them more harshly because they have set the bar so high. I personally can't compare Opeth CDs to one another because the band seems to re-invent, or at least substantially modify, themselves on every recording.

I totally agree with you, man. Opeth have always been very gutsy to experiment across every album. I started listening to Opeth from BWP, went through the previous albums all the way back to Orchid and then picked up Deliverance and Damnation when they released. Every album grew on me with newer sounds. And they all seem quite different from one another. But, I can say for the year 2005, GR is the best metal album. But I dont think it is THE BEST Opeth album ever. My favorites have and will always be Orchid and Morning Rise.

Forest-of-October said:
I'm kind of happy you brought this up once again. Let me refer back to my original comment.

"What can I say, the song contains some of the worst lyrics Mike has ever written, but the song itself is so brutal and I find it acutally suits it well"

The point I tried to get across is that Mike has written a lot more, fuck... well-worded lyrics. The lyrics in this song are simple, yet (as I mentioned) they match the song very well. The song is brutal, and while the lyrics are not the best, you definetly get the message.

In conclusion, I have a hard time expressing myself. So, in future just keep your comments to yerselves and all will be fine :p
zomg lol

I wonder how many people would like Opeth if GR was their first release? I think a lot of people would just assume they were another roadrunner band and ignore them. I think I would still like them, but probably not listen to them as much (obviously, since they would only have 1 album out...).

And I imagine the same thing if Orchid was their 2005 album, that would put a lot of new Opeth fans off I reckon. 1st impressions are important, and I think GR is a good Opeth album for people to hear first. And I enjoy it a lot!

vampyrouss said:
I wonder how many people would like Opeth if GR was their first release? I think a lot of people would just assume they were another roadrunner band and ignore them. I think I would still like them, but probably not listen to them as much (obviously, since they would only have 1 album out...).

And I imagine the same thing if Orchid was their 2005 album, that would put a lot of new Opeth fans off I reckon. 1st impressions are important, and I think GR is a good Opeth album for people to hear first. And I enjoy it a lot!

Yeah if Opeth released GR as their first release, a lot of us would not be here right now. SO many people were converted into Opeth fans after SL and BWP. I don't think GR would have the same effect on the masses...

^ Not everyone beacuse I've seen a lot of shit-tossing at this album on this board... I personally love it! Mike's opinion probably refers more to the circumstances in which the album was created and less to the music (although he did complain there were not enough rehersals...). Still, it's one of the most darkest Opeth album and as such - I love it wholeheartedly!