Ghost Reveries

Honestly, I dont agree with those who say you need to listen to it more and then it'll grow on you. With me, I listen to GoP and BotH and then Im bored. I couldnt listen to it over and over. I can't honestly say, that I hate this album, but I CAN say that I don't think it's up to Opeths standards.

Also, In Limbo. Why the confusion? It's a great song, one of my favorites, but the lyrics are nothing special by any means.

There is a voice calling for me
There is a light shining down on me
There is a doubt that is clearing
There is a day that is dawning
etc.

Honestly? Do I really need to explain myself any further?

Forest-of-October said:
Honestly, I dont agree with those who say you need to listen to it more and then it'll grow on you. With me, I listen to GoP and BotH and then Im bored. I couldnt listen to it over and over. I can't honestly say, that I hate this album, but I CAN say that I don't think it's up to Opeths standards.

Also, In Limbo. Why the confusion? It's a great song, one of my favorites, but the lyrics are nothing special by any means.

There is a voice calling for me
There is a light shining down on me
There is a doubt that is clearing
There is a day that is dawning
etc.

Honestly? Do I really need to explain myself any further?

Doesnt mean the lyrics are weak, man.

in limbow said:
Hours of Wealth is halfway decent, but has a very cheesy vocal part ("lookin through my windooow"- sounds like he's trying to be r. kelly or something),

Urgh, I hate that part. That song is nice at first with the instrumental part, and it just turns crap after that.

What the fuck is wrong with that part??? I don't see how it sounds like R. Kelly. He sings very nicely on that song and after he is done singing, the guitar work is some of the best Opeth has done. Outstanding track.

Scarlett Letterman said:
This album just didn't have the same longetivity as the others for me. Before this album I never associated mediocrity with Opeth, but tracks like Atonement, TGC, and Baying of the Hounds have gotten worse with every listen, the opposite of what usually happens when I listen to an Opeth cd at first. The album just wasn't a challenge, I liked it at first then just got sick of it, and it wasn't from overplaying. It didn't take me very long to nail down the structures and so forth.

That said, Beneath the Mire and Ghost of Perdition are both up to par with prior material, so hopefully they continue like that.

I Totally agree!! I was excited at first, and tried hard not to overlisten. After the first week the disapointing reality set in. I still listen to Deliverence almost Daily!! It never gets old, but i'm quite dissapointed with GR.

Rob

Forest-of-October said:
(on the argument comparing Deliverance and GR)

I wasn't going to force my opinions on anyone, but what the fuck! Deliverance totally kicks the shit out of Ghost Reveries. Ghost Reveries is good, great even. But Deliverance is just far stronger. Heres 6 reasons why.

Wreath - Perhaps one of my favorite songs ever written by Opeth. Very dark, great lyrics, amazing vocals and one of the catchiest guitar riffs ever. The only part of Ghost of Perdition (comparing the two as they are the openers) that compares to this song is the "road into the dark unaware, winding ever higher" vocal bit.

Deliverance - Brutal and beautifull, another one of my favorite Opeth songs. Again, very dark and great work both musically, lyrically and vocal wise. Also contains a great outro. Easily beats most songs on GR.

A Fair Judgement - Beautifull song, with a great intro and outro, perhaps not the best lyrical content ever written, but totally slays any of the more mellow material on GR.

For Absent Friends - Beautifull instrumental, no comments here really.

Masters Apprentices - What can I say, the song contains some of the worst lyrics Mike has ever written, but the song itself is so brutal and i find it acutally suits it well. Has a very catchy (even though highly repetetive) guitar riffs, and the mellow bit destroys most if not all of Opeth's softer material.

By the Pain I See in Others - Again, not the best lyrics Opeth has ever written, but perhaps one of the most under rated songs ever. I love the vocals on this song. Especially in the following verse...

Outside the park
The days move along
And nothing ever changes... etc

Overall, I enjoy Deliverance a lot more mainly because it's a lot darker, and has that warm sound that most albums prior to GR have.

Very Well Said - Deliverence is by FAR my favorite!!

worldwide_suicide said:
No Opeth album is better than Still Life.
Yup

FRUGiHOYi said:
What the fuck is wrong with that part??? I don't see how it sounds like R. Kelly. He sings very nicely on that song and after he is done singing, the guitar work is some of the best Opeth has done. Outstanding track.

I don't know, the song just seems dull and doesn't really go anywhere. I have a hard time listening to it, my mind always wanders....and then gets jerked back in my that killer intro to The Grand Conjuration :D

FRUGiHOYi said:
Deliverance seems to be underrated around here.

Not really...although I really only started to appreciate it the other day when I listened to it while at work and got to really focus on it. Deliverance and A Fair Judgement especially are amazing tracks. And those vocals at the beginning of BTPISIO are insanely sick.

Jude said:
Yup

I don't know, the song just seems dull and doesn't really go anywhere. I have a hard time listening to it, my mind always wanders....and then gets jerked back in my that killer intro to The Grand Conjuration :D

Not really...although I really only started to appreciate it the other day when I listened to it while at work and got to really focus on it. Deliverance and A Fair Judgement especially are amazing tracks. And those vocals at the beginning of BTPISIO are insanely sick.

k... i can't agree with you more.

Im not a fan of GR. I think its subpar as well, considering i love pretty much all their work. Deliverance is my fave album of theirs (debate it all you want, doesnt change that i like it better than Still Life).

But the fact that it still has a distinct Opeth sound, and the fact that it still has experimentation and movement away from the sounds of the past albums, means, to me at least, that theyre very much still 100% Opeth and not incumbered by record labels and shit. So I accept it and still respect other peoples opinions.

blimey said:
Am I the only one who thinks this album is sub-par for Opeth standards?

No u`re definitely not the only one who thinks so...Opeth is on the 3rd place in my top list for the 2005...It`s great...I became a really big fen after listening to this album.......:worship:

Ah, not getting into this again. Maybe I should just keep my backcatalogue of Deliverance criticism in a text file somewhere to be able to paste at whim.

But what I'm gathering is that opinions really are like assholes, and there's many of those around here! :)