Ghost Reveries

phagist_ said:
lol? IMO orchid is up there with the best, it is so atmospheric. Don't get me wrong i like GR but it is no orchid.

This guy knows whats up. And Dew nailed it with Reverie/Harlequin Forest, the last sections (from when the growls return and on) are sorta lame and unnecessary - the song is perfect up till then and should have just ended.

Eh, for awhile it was actually my favorite (just because of how new it was).

I really think Opeth did a wonderful job involving Per in a way that was not just "play symphony synth the whole song." Mikael's vocals are 100% better on this album than Deliverance. No one can convince that Mike's death vocals were good on that album...did they sound brutal? Yeah...but it also sounded like he was losing his voice.

The songs are very tight (except the end of Reverie/Harlequin Forest...I agree, that did not do much for me, and how long The Grand Conjuration is...they could have shaved off a few minutes and it would have been much better).

Actually, aside from those aforementioned tracks, and maybe Atonement, all of Ghost Reveries songs are in my top favorite. Ghost of Perdition? Classic Opeth. The Baying of the Hounds? One of the greatest rock out songs the band has ever written. Beneath the Mire? Really well written song, love the drum work. Hours of Wealth and Isolation Years? Some of the most beautiful in Opeth's career...up there with Patterns in the Ivy II.

Atonement is a great tune, I just have to be in the mood for it.

I really think this is one of Opeth's finest works - very complete. They really put a lot into these songs, and I have watched a friend of mine play the guitar parts - he said they were just so fun to play. And Martin Lopez played his heart out, my favorite of his drumming.

But whatever, think what you think.

(on the argument comparing Deliverance and GR)

I wasn't going to force my opinions on anyone, but what the fuck! Deliverance totally kicks the shit out of Ghost Reveries. Ghost Reveries is good, great even. But Deliverance is just far stronger. Heres 6 reasons why.

Wreath - Perhaps one of my favorite songs ever written by Opeth. Very dark, great lyrics, amazing vocals and one of the catchiest guitar riffs ever. The only part of Ghost of Perdition (comparing the two as they are the openers) that compares to this song is the "road into the dark unaware, winding ever higher" vocal bit.

Deliverance - Brutal and beautifull, another one of my favorite Opeth songs. Again, very dark and great work both musically, lyrically and vocal wise. Also contains a great outro. Easily beats most songs on GR.

A Fair Judgement - Beautifull song, with a great intro and outro, perhaps not the best lyrical content ever written, but totally slays any of the more mellow material on GR.

For Absent Friends - Beautifull instrumental, no comments here really.

Masters Apprentices - What can I say, the song contains some of the worst lyrics Mike has ever written, but the song itself is so brutal and i find it acutally suits it well. Has a very catchy (even though highly repetetive) guitar riffs, and the mellow bit destroys most if not all of Opeth's softer material.

By the Pain I See in Others - Again, not the best lyrics Opeth has ever written, but perhaps one of the most under rated songs ever. I love the vocals on this song. Especially in the following verse...

Outside the park
The days move along
And nothing ever changes... etc

Overall, I enjoy Deliverance a lot more mainly because it's a lot darker, and has that warm sound that most albums prior to GR have.

I thought this way in the beginning, but only briefly. I found it to be a bit softer than I expected because I remember reading interviews where Mikael was talking about having some black metal influences on the new record. Once I got over this predispositioned attitude towards the album, it hit me. I absolutely worship it and I think it just may be Opeth's best to date.

To be honest I don't love "GR" as much as previous Opeth works. I dunno but I think it lacks something. Hmmm I think my love to Opeth is buried with "GR" :) I still appreciate very much the past of this band. They were no.1 band for a long long long time :D

Discouraged_Tom said:
They were no.1 band for a long long long time...

Well, my view is the opposite!
I think it is the complete discography together with GR that makes them the greatest band I ever heard! :Spin:

Taste, taste, taste, why even discuss it?!
:loco:

I think this album has quality-craftmanship and all the ingrediences of a great Progressive death-metal record. In my opinion album of the year! Opeth-wise I think it's better than "Deliverance" but not better than the big-ones; "Still Life", "Blackwater Park" and "My Arms, Your Hearse." The more you listen to GR the more you like it. I too listend to GR every day!:cool:

Nomansvally said:
I think this album has quality-craftmanship and all the ingrediences of a great Progressive death-metal record. In my opinion album of the year! Opeth-wise I think it's better than "Deliverance" but not better than the big-ones; "Still Life", "Blackwater Park" and "My Arms, Your Hearse." The more you listen to GR the more you like it. I too listend to GR every day!:cool:
I like it too and actually the heavy songs have grown a lot on me. They still aren't my favorites, but definitely solid. Harlequin Forest I don't like as much as the other ones, and Grand Conjuration has that crappy riff in the middle where he's going "whispered conjuration, a belief takes form" which is a riff that never should have seen the light of day, but aside from that the song is quite good.

The soft songs aren't bad either, but they don't sound right for Opeth.

Beneath the Mire is my least favorite song, it starts off really terrible, but it does redeem itself by the end.

The biggest thing I'm worried about in the future is that a) all the soft parts of Opeth songs are going to sound like Hours of Wealth and Atonement instead of the usual Opeth acoustic parts and b) the fact that a keyboard player is now a member of the band is going to require keyboards to be used in every song...I don't know if that's so good for Opeth. The keys work quite well on this album, but I don't know how long that will last. But whatever, I trust the band to keep making good albums.

I would have to place GR as my least favorite Opeth album. It just can't compare to their other ones... Deliverance is much better IMO. However I do think Ghost of Perdition is basically one of the best things ever recorded by the band. Besides that, BotH is really great too, BtM is great but to a lesser extent, TGC has its moments but should be 3 or so minutes shorter and feels a little too simple with that riff repeated ad infinity. Then there's R/HF. I really don't care for this song at all besides the first 2-3 minutes and some pleasant acoustics in the middle. It's boring and does nothing whatsoever for me, pretty much. Let's see... Isolation Years is beautiful and it's interesting to note that it's the first Opeth song that's 3 minutes but not an instrumental. Hours of Wealth is halfway decent, but has a very cheesy vocal part ("lookin through my windooow"- sounds like he's trying to be r. kelly or something), and Atonement is a very nice song, with it's share of good parts.
Overall it surely isn't a BAD album, not at all, just not nearly as amazing and emotional as, say, Still Life.

Forest-of-October said:
Masters Apprentices - What can I say, the song contains some of the worst lyrics Mike has ever written

???

Meh, Deliverance>Ghost Reveries, although GR is a good album. I just don't feel that "connection" I have with Opeth's other works, you know?

Plus, The Grand Conjuration had the cheesiest video ever. I expected more of a "stumbling in the forest" type thing, not a "lesbo falling in the toilet" thing, lol.