Ghost Reveries

all_sins_undone

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks this album is sub-par for Opeth standards?
Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds are great tracks, but I just think the album as a whole is ... not up to Opeth standards. If anyone agree's, that would be great, if not, I want to hear why.

Deja Vu?

To be honest I don't care anymore, I think it feels different on different days, but if I'm listening to Opeth it will be Ghost Reveries, because its still the freshest and I don't know it by heart yet. I wouldn't say its sub par, only in the way that Damnation is. As in its different, but that isn't a bad thing. People don't like change, bands who have to play the same songs over and over again do like the occasional change and this seems to be how Opeth feel, and I won't complain if all future material is sub-par like Ghost Reveries, still sounds cool to me.

I used to think the same but its really different. give it a couple more listens and then i think you could compare it equally with any other opeth album - really its not that bad.

And also try playing some of the songs. Ghost of perdition and harelquin forest are too easy too be opeth songs but are written well.

Baying of the hounds and beneath the mire were made to be played. You'll be serioulsy missing out if you left those two songs behind. Isoaltion years and atonement are the most sonically profound songs i've heard in metal in a while - as compared. I used to think egypt by symphony x was avant gard - now look what opeth did :Spin:

just listen to it a couple more times - i can't stress it enough - just listen to it over and over for a day and for every progression change you hear you should (if all goes well) wet yourself.

trickae said:
I used to think the same but its really different. give it a couple more listens and then i think you could compare it equally with any other opeth album - really its not that bad.

And also try playing some of the songs. Ghost of perdition and harelquin forest are too easy too be opeth songs but are written well.

Baying of the hounds and beneath the mire were made to be played. You'll be serioulsy missing out if you left those two songs behind. Isoaltion years and atonement are the most sonically profound songs i've heard in metal in a while - as compared. I used to think egypt by symphony x was avant gard - now look what opeth did :Spin:

just listen to it a couple more times - i can't stress it enough - just listen to it over and over for a day and for every progression change you hear you should (if all goes well) wet yourself.

Haha. I'll give it a shot :).

I can play Ghost of Perdition on guitar quite well. Fun song.

I have found that it sounds the best when I am in a happy mood. It is definitely one of the happiest albums I've come across.

I haven't heard much else, apart from the edited version of Deliverance, The Leper Affinity, Harvest and Windowpane.

I think it's great!

This album just didn't have the same longetivity as the others for me. Before this album I never associated mediocrity with Opeth, but tracks like Atonement, TGC, and Baying of the Hounds have gotten worse with every listen, the opposite of what usually happens when I listen to an Opeth cd at first. The album just wasn't a challenge, I liked it at first then just got sick of it, and it wasn't from overplaying. It didn't take me very long to nail down the structures and so forth.

That said, Beneath the Mire and Ghost of Perdition are both up to par with prior material, so hopefully they continue like that.

blimey said:
Am I the only one who thinks this album is sub-par for Opeth standards?
Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds are great tracks, but I just think the album as a whole is ... not up to Opeth standards. If anyone agree's, that would be great, if not, I want to hear why.
i for one, disagree. i think it's excellent, and worthy of the Opeth name. It's not BWP or Still Life, it's completely different- and that's what I expect from Opeth- to be exploring different and unexpected territory.

A Reason To Sing said:
What about Reverie/Harlequin Forest ? That's probably one of the more well versed songs on the album. Great song. My favorite.
The last couple parts of Reverie/Harlequin forest are just plain stupid. I don't care if they're technical or whatever excuse you want to provide, they just plain sound dumb.

Anyway, I definately agree that GR isn't anywhere close to Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, Still Life, or BWP. It's better than Deliverance in a lot of ways, and as for Damnation, well, that's more of a Porcupine Tree album than an Opeth album so I'm just not going to compare them.

dew said:
The last couple parts of Reverie/Harlequin forest are just plain stupid. I don't care if they're technical or whatever excuse you want to provide, they just plain sound dumb.

Anyway, I definately agree that GR isn't anywhere close to Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, Still Life, or BWP. It's better than Deliverance in a lot of ways, and as for Damnation, well, that's more of a Porcupine Tree album than an Opeth album so I'm just not going to compare them.
All of Harlequin Forest is awesome and GR is better than Orchid, but Deliverance is probably better than GR. You need to get your facts straight!

FRUGiHOYi said:
All of Harlequin Forest is awesome and GR is better than Orchid, but Deliverance is probably better than GR. You need to get your facts straight!
lol? IMO orchid is up there with the best, it is so atmospheric. Don't get me wrong i like GR but it is no orchid.

Scarlett Letterman said:
This album just didn't have the same longetivity as the others for me. Before this album I never associated mediocrity with Opeth, but tracks like Atonement, TGC, and Baying of the Hounds have gotten worse with every listen, the opposite of what usually happens when I listen to an Opeth cd at first. The album just wasn't a challenge, I liked it at first then just got sick of it, and it wasn't from overplaying. It didn't take me very long to nail down the structures and so forth.

That said, Beneath the Mire and Ghost of Perdition are both up to par with prior material, so hopefully they continue like that.

Agree 100%. Most opeth grows on me. Not GR.

The title track Deliverance is better than anything on GR. That said, the album, as a whole, isn't as good as Ghost Reveries. Ghost Reveries isn't better than Orchid. Reverie/Harlequinn Forests' last two parts are terrible, it's not even a matter of opinion, just a fact of life. Roses are red, violets are blue, and those two parts of that Opeth song suck ass.