Opeth Song Survivor - Tournament Final - 6 Remaining (Vote for least favourite)

Least favourite? (closes in 3 days)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That was really fuckin' hard, but I went with In The Mist She Was Standing. It's not one of my favorites on the Orchid album, and the rest of the choices are all in my top three on their respective albums!

Alcapoth said:
Shit, In Mist and Deliverance were fairly close at first, now all the sudden EVERYONE's like voting for In Mist...this sucks....this really, really sucks.

I'm like looking at the poll, and it just seems wrong that the In Mist can be so disliked by people (or least liked by the majority). Can people just not see how great it is...I mean the guitar work, the solos...fucking incredible opening and closing. This is the pinnacle of metal music. This is what METAL should be.....

I repeat, too many fuckheads probably have never heard In the Mist and want to go "with the crowd" cuz they can't do it in real life. Fucking losers.

In the Mist pwns you all.

I think the intro to In Mist is pretty boring, but after 3:30 or something it gets great. Especially the ending.

Yeah, of course the opening is one of the greatest parts....it's so, how should I put it, addictive? That first guitar strut - you just know the song was going to kick it off brilliantly!

But the thing that impresses me most about In Mist is the fact I honestly feel it has some of Mikaels greatest vocal work to date (as far as distorted vocals go). I wouldn't call it growls (that's more what he's doing now) but more along the lines of "screams" and "whispers" which I fucking think is brilliant beyond words can possibly hope to describe. These are the only death vocals that give me the chills just upon hearing them...it's the way Mike goes about it.

Perfect example (which I feel are the best vocal parts);

"Standing, smiling at my PRESENCE! A black candle holds the only waaaaaaayyyy...." Fucking incredible...seriously. Er, it bugs me people seem to take no notice. I guess most don't like this classic form of pure, melodic metal. The guitar melodies here are filled with painstakingly awesome solos and guitar work with amazing skill...some of the most melodic tunes I have heard.

Another part;

"Darkness encloses. And the candle seems to EXPIRE!" This kinda shit is whatI'm talking about...I find myself getting chills all over.

And then of course there is nothing more satisfying than when an already brilliant song closes things off flawlessly, leaving you thinking...."WOW...just woah!"

Seriously, as fantastic as the new songs obviously are (especially Leper, Bleak, Godhead's, Amen, etc.) those songs just don't have that great feeling In Mist gives out, as well as my personal fave BRI. I guess only earlier fans know what I'm talking about and can feel this special feeling....

Eh, apologies for the constant defending of In Mist...it pains me to see it go thisearly....

"Bleak" is, without a doubt, the worst of these songs and shouldn't be in this list in the first place. It's too catchy, too easy to tire off. "In Mist She Was Standing" is a DAMN great song though. The first two minutes are the perfect introduction not only to 'Orchid' but to their whole damn catalogue.