Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.3%

• Total voters
out of whats there....

1. Godhead's Lament
2. The Leper Affinity
3. Blackwater Park

but u are missing the ultimates man!!....

1. The Funeral Portrait
1. Advent

nothing beats those two...the opening riffs on both songs give me instant orgasms...now if you will excuse me...i have to clean up

I'd have to pick something from BWP of Deliverance, 'cause the production has the most punch, the most heavy richness. I go with BWP the song 'cause it's got the most smashing groove; it's one of the few Opeth songs I could really smash things too, rather than chill with headphones. My only regret is that the trippy acoustic interlude goes on way too long. Intellectually and mood-wise, it may be an interesting production and arrangement choice, but it kills the primal momentum of the song.

The Funeral Portrait, to me, constantly barrages you in it's entirety like no other Opeth song.

Others are definately heavy, like Demon of the Fall, but they will all take honorable mention

Originally posted by squeegee your third eye
I'd have to pick something from BWP of Deliverance, 'cause the production has the most punch, the most heavy richness. I go with BWP the song 'cause it's got the most smashing groove; it's one of the few Opeth songs I could really smash things too, rather than chill with headphones. My only regret is that the trippy acoustic interlude goes on way too long. Intellectually and mood-wise, it may be an interesting production and arrangement choice, but it kills the primal momentum of the song.

In total agreement here, but for one minor detail. Try listening to it fast-forwarding through the little trippy part... nowhere near as good, it gets to the meat of the song too quickly. I'm afraid the loooooooooooong quiet part is a necessary evil, it kinda lulls you to sleep so it can wake you up by lighting your balls on fire.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
The Funeral Portrait annihilates on ALL levels.. but since you don't have that listed, I'll vote for the next best thing... The Leper Affinity.

Good Choice! I voted for other, The Funeral Portait slays all. Period. Full Stop. End Of Sentence. Ok, you get the picture :lol:

I'll vote for April Ethereal... but how in the hell did you not include WHEN? :)

The beginning of When is like getting a message, then all of a sudden, someone bashes you over the head with a tire iron.

If that doesn't "kill" I don't know what does.

Originally posted by Mr. Niel
I thought April Etheral would get alot of votes...

i really love the very first part of April Ethereal, it's fantastic... the vox especially, a lot of rage/hurt/etc. in them, unbelievable... aside from Demon, the opening 2? minutes of AE is my favorite part of MAYH.

That's funny... I think the ENDING of April Ethereal is my favorite part. I mean the whole song slays, but that ending riff with the two part guitar harmony... man... that just gives me chills every time.

Originally posted by TheBigJones47
In total agreement here, but for one minor detail. Try listening to it fast-forwarding through the little trippy part... nowhere near as good, it gets to the meat of the song too quickly. I'm afraid the loooooooooooong quiet part is a necessary evil, it kinda lulls you to sleep so it can wake you up by lighting your balls on fire.

That is a good point. I must admit the trippy section has grown on me somewhat, but I think it could have been half as long and achieved the same effect. What's great about it is that when the heavy riff comes back, your balls truly get kicked up into your sinuses. But I bet if you edited it down you'd still get the impact.
Still, a kickass overall ball-burner.

Of the choices, I'd say Blackwater Park. But my personal favorite is The Funeral Portrait. Quite the tune.

Also, I don't understand where everyone gets the "Demon of the Fall is so heavy!!!" thing from. It's really not that heavy, and I'd put it in about the middle of Opeth's range. Even the non-melodic parts aren't really all that heavy/Death-Metaly (?).