Opeth sucks

Morningrise is a masterpeice, and Orchid is brilliant. Still life and My Arms, Your Hearse are both extremely well composed albums also. Their latest works though, are in no way original or interesting.

I agree that their songs tend to drag on, and I personally do not like the acoustic passages, and think that they do not fit with the metal riffage. It's like they can't make up their mind weather they want to be metal or prog rock. However, they are by no means a talentless band.

Life Sucks said:
I agree that their songs tend to drag on, and I personally do not like the acoustic passages, and think that they do not fit with the metal riffage. It's like they can't make up their mind weather they want to be metal or prog rock. However, they are by no means a talentless band.

Almost completely agreed.

Yes, they are, but you can't just be like "they have no talent and their musicianship sucks", because then you'd be wholly incorrect.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Yes, they are, but you can't just be like "they have no talent and their musicianship sucks", because then you'd be wholly incorrect.

They might be talented and i respect them for that but the trouble with them is that they can't really write good songs.

I like Opeth, I can see why you guys don't like them, it's all a matter of taste
They have talent though and they got me into progressive stuff, electronic and experimental music so thanks to them.

I must be the only one who thinks that "Blackwater Park" is their best effort. I think that's where they peaked and they've declined slowly..

I haven't listened to them for a while but saying Opeth are untalented is one of the most blatently ignorant things I have heard in a long time.

I don't understand you guys...how can you say that Opeth is boring ???
They are surely one of the best and original (with Arcturus & Gojira ) metal bands ever and you call them "boring" ??!! :err:
Have you really listened to them at least ? coz i don't think you could judge Deliverance in just listening to only one song once !! It's kinda stupid !!! You need time to go into Opeth so a listening is a bit "short" !!

opethmaniac said:
I don't understand you guys...how can you say that Opeth is boring ???
They are surely one of the best and original (with Arcturus & Gojira ) metal bands ever and you call them "boring" ??!! :err:
Have you really listened to them at least ? coz i don't think you could judge Deliverance in just listening to only one song once !! It's kinda stupid !!! You need time to go into Opeth so a listening is a bit "short" !!

fanboy

Their two concept albums, IMO are brilliant. It seems like they have a tough time blending their different ideas/riffs into cohesive song structures but in the case of still life the concept helped to keep things flowing. Mayh not so much so, but to a lesser extent it too had that going for it. The songs fit the emotions of the story very well I thought. Orchid and Morningrise are definitely different in that they jump around but I tend to agree that this was just a lack of compositional ability. I think they've gotten much better since then. BWP was a great album, but on a few of the songs it seemed like they were still shifting styles without a good reason. Deliverence and Damnation let Martin Lopez shine, but I really do think they stretched themselves a bit thin trying to do two albums at once and I'm confident that their next album will be much better.

In anycase, they certainly aren't boring. If anything, the shifty song writing should keep you on your toes and hold your interest. They're not the best band ever, but they have undeniable talent and I love listening to almost all of their albums.